SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter eyes?

Warden Callaway

So... It would be better to go as slow as it takes to get the technique right? Once that's achieved, speed up as you're able to maintain the right technique?

Abso-positively-lutely.

Anyone who would like a copy of Gunfighter 101 is welcome to shoot me a PM. Essentially, it is a guide explaining how to practice to shoot gunfighter. Once you practice enough to relegate the cocking of your pistols to your subconscious, you're pretty much shooting ten shots like you do from a rifle.

People often look at gunfighters as if the mere ability to do it so an indication of an above average IQ, but while we appreciate the compliment, it's not rocket science. It is more fun than should be allowed by law...but since I'm Buck D. Law, I'll allow it. :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just started trying to shoot GF since there are some stages that it would seem faster than two handed. (I'm B Western) At the monthly matches I've been trying it with mixed success. Especially double tap anything. Had fun this weekend with IRS and Reverse IRS sweeps.

As to which eye I use…. Well I'm kinda using both. Have a very small piece of scotch tape over my right eye but when I shoot GF I think I'm peaking around it. I just point the pistols where I think they should be and pull the trigger. It's starting to work better and better.

I have only been shooting GF officially for eight months, but I shot cap-n-ball pistols GF-style long before moving over from duelist.

I am right handed and slightly right eye dominant. I keep both eyes open.

I prefer to shoot my 1851s with conversion cylinders because the guns point better than my OMVs.

My method is to point my right gun and aim my left gun with the left eye. The pointing process is that I never quite bring the sights into focus.

I have some misses but mostly from poor trigger control.

Every GF'r has to find what works for them.

• 1 month later...

Our local match today looked like a rainout. Not a lot showed up because a horrendous storm was upon us. Some people left. But we stuck around waiting to see if the storm was actually going to hit. Turned out, it started dissipate and move south. So the dozen diehards decided to give it a try despite the prediction. After all, it is Missouri. It never really rained and we got 6 stages in and suffered through the humidity.

Well, given the small crowd and the makeup of the handgun stages, I decided to shoot gunfighter on 4 of the 6 stages. The other two had directions to pull one gun and shoot and then the other. Even these I shot double duelist. I'm pleased to say I'm happy with my performance. I made some good runs and had the best times so far. (I'm still no competition, but moving up from bottom. )

On one stage I made a bad pull on my left gun and didn't get my grip right. I fumbled taking two shots until I took time to shift my grip. I think I averaged one miss per stage and all with the handgun.

I was the only one shooting gunfighter. Nobody shoot duelist.

Our local match today looked like a rainout. Not a lot showed up because a horrendous storm was upon us. Some people left. But we stuck around waiting to see if the storm was actually going to hit. Turned out, it started dissipate and move south. So the dozen diehards decided to give it a try despite the prediction. After all, it is Missouri. It never really rained and we got 6 stages in and suffered through the humidity.

Well, given the small crowd and the makeup of the handgun stages, I decided to shoot gunfighter on 4 of the 6 stages. The other two had directions to pull one gun and shoot and then the other. Even these I shot double duelist. I'm pleased to say I'm happy with my performance. I made some good runs and had the best times so far. (I'm still no competition, but moving up from bottom. )

On one stage I made a bad pull on my left gun and didn't get my grip right. I fumbled taking two shots until I took time to shift my grip. I think I averaged one miss per stage and all with the handgun.

I was the only one shooting gunfighter. Nobody shoot duelist.

you still could of shot gunfighter

I wasn't sure how when the stage scenario said to draw one gun and sweep the targets, holster that gun, pull the other and sweep again.

I shot gunfighter and I still would have pulled both pistol and shot gunfighter !!

Well that would be terrible stage writing...

Our club is small and has undergone about a complete change in people running the matches. The guy writing the stages has just stepped up and started doing it. So while there is a lack of sophistication, there is some informality. He'll read the stage and if there is any objections, it's put to a consensus vote and the stage amended on the fly. I suspect he's not even thinking about someone shooting gunfighter style. And I'm not complaining. There are a few people putting in a lot of effort, a few people putting in some, and a lot of others that show up just in time and are the first ones gone after the match and they are often the ones complaining about how the targets are set and stages too complicated, etc.

Gunfighters have first 5 shots and second 5 shots instead of 1st pistol, 2nd pistol. The only time we should ever have to shoot dbl duelist is when pistols are split without a place to stage them.

Ok, let's say the stage calls for 5 shots handgun, and the say shotgun, maybe move, then five more rounds handgun - then I'd be in a situation where I'd have to shoot double duelist as I wouldn't want to holster or put down a loaded gun. But if all 10 rounds are fired, I can shoot gunfighter as long as the targets are shot in sequence. Have I got it?

Pretty much. Even when pistols are separated by another gun you can stage them (with hammers down), shoot long gun, then pick 'em up and shoot next 5 shots. It may not always be the optimum way to do it, but it IS perfectly legal.

Possum

Howdy Warden.

Ditto on what Possum (JEDI GF, JEDI COUNCIL and WORLD CHAMPION GF).

ifn ya want to holler at me today, give me a call. I'll be glad to go over some scenerios with ya that might help you better understand.

ALSO, send Buck D Law a PM and ask him to send you his GF 101 information.

865 / 215-3059

..........Widder

I'll do some reading and get with the TO that is writing the stages. We're getting to be pretty good buds. It'll be an education for both of us. There are a couple of guys that shoot BP and duelist. Maybe I can get them to shoot gunfighter too. If I get better at gunfighter, I'll be ready to start BP.

Is Buck D Laws' writeup on line some place?

I'll do some reading and get with the TO that is writing the stages.

Howdy Warden, it's real easy to write stages without say "with 1st pistol do bla bla bla holster" "with 2nd pistol do bla bla bla holster" This type of stage writing is usually a thing of the past. First the Stage Conventions on page 13 cover alota stuff like revolvers return to leather, knockdowns, staging long guns etc...etc The pistol string is considered a shooting string. Here's a few examples that may help. The first two are on four targets, the second two are on three targets.

When ready say the line “You’ll get rich or be killed” At the beep, with rifle shoot a Hillbilly sweep

(R1,R1-R2-R3-R4,R4-R3-R2-R1,R1). With shotgun shoot the four KDs. Move to table 2, with pistols

shoot a Hillbilly sweep. Note; sweeps may start on either end

When ready say the line “My mule don’t like people laughing” At the beep, with pistols alternate five

rounds on P1 & P2, and alternate five rounds on P3 & P4 (P1-P2-P1-P2-P1) (P3-P4-P3-P4-P3).

Move to table 1, with rifle repeat the pistol sequence. With shotgun shoot the four KDs. Note; sweeps may start on either end.

You'll notice here that I don't say what to do with the long guns after the shooting string, that's because it's coverd in the conventions.

When ready say the line “I’ll stick with the 45” At the beep, with shotgun shoot the four KDs. With

rifle triple tap the center target then one on each end, twice (R2,R2,R2-R1-R3—R2,R2,R2-R1-R3)

make rifle safe. Move to position 2 and repeat with pistols. Note; sweeps may start on either end.

When ready say the line “I want the gringo alive” At the beep, with rifle shoot two 2-1-2 sweeps

(1,1-2-3,3—1,1-2-3,3) make rifle safe. Move to position 2, with pistols shoot two 2-1-2 sweeps. Move to table 3, with

shotgun shoot the two KDs, then hit the popper to release the bird. A hit on the bird puts your name

in the hat for a prize, a miss is not a miss. Note; sweeps may start on either end.

On these two we are shooting off of a horse prop that holds two long guns. I say make long gun safe but don't say where, that's up to the shooter to decide if it's faster to restage on the horse or carry to the next position. Also sweeps may start on either end, so the first five pistol rounds can start on the right and the next five rounds can start on the left.....these types of options open up the stage for all categories and left handed shooters too.

Hope this helps, Good Luck :)

Our stages are not nearly as complicated. There is virtually no movement. Long guns are staged on a table in the doorway. 10, 10, 4 in some mix of order - all shot through the doorway. No lines, no props to climb on or move around or shoot from. I suspect the stage wrighter is recycling stages that the previous writer had used for some 12 years. I heard it mentioned that to previous writer had them all saved on his computer. I suspect some of the passive stage scenarios are to accommodate the older shooters. I'm 63 and I may well be younger than average. Some are in their 80s. It is kind of comical, about every shooter has to be reminded again the sequence of fire once they get to the shooting position - even though the stage had been read and repeated and a number of shooters has shot it.

Buck D Law, thanks for the gunfigher 101 instructions. A lot of info has already been dispersed here and elsewhere. I practice it already but practice and real application is two different things. I'll have to include the number counting control method. Now I start with my left gun and keep going until both guns are empty.

Warden,

Why do you start with your left gun?

Figured I'd have to start with one or the other. It was pretty much an arbitrary decision and I figured I'd stick to it. Is there something wrong with starting with my left (weak hand)?

Howdy BDL can you send me copy of the GF 101. texascrash@att.net

People are pointing and laughing ,hopefully with me instead of at me!

Thanks Crash

Figured I'd have to start with one or the other. It was pretty much an arbitrary decision and I figured I'd stick to it. Is there something wrong with starting with my left (weak hand)?

There is nothing "wrong" with having a starting hand.

Most of us have a predominant side that all things being equal we will usually start with.

BUT - if you limit yourself to ALWAYS starting with the same hand, you will handicap yourself from time to time when a stage movement, shooting sequence or gun order lends itself to starting the other way.

For instance - two pistol targets - with a pretty good separation between them.

Alternate on the two targets for 10 rounds with pistols... Starting on the RIGHT target.

And you always start with your LEFT pistol?

Crossovers (or lead changes {generally speaking}) are not your friend.

One of the benefits of being able to use both hands is the flexibility that comes with that.

Same principle as long guns - I do not pickup and put down my long guns the same way every time - it will change based on gun order, movement direction and staging methods.

What Creeker said, plus if you start with your right, you will finish with that pistol first and it can be headed towards the holster while you finish with left pistol. That allows you to get on the next gun quicker.

You should have a reason for everything you do.

Possum

2 things I liked about that video. First, it was 1 min and half of it was him staging his guns. Second, even though he was going pretty fast, it never looked like he was in a hurry. Some of these guys are so wound up it looks more like work than fun.

I can shoot somewhere between mediocre and average but my transitions are at turtle speed. I've never been quick or agile. After years of hard work, my body is about a monolith. I'll need to work my transitions.

That's the way Buck D Law does it.

the only thing wrong with that video is he is not shooting BP

OK Widder asked if I would put this up. Widder was goin so fast only caught the back end of his run.

Very good Warden.

the scenerio was 3-2-2-3

starting with the left pistol allowed ya to shoot all the targets WITHOUT having to do any Lead Change or Cross Overs.

If I had started on the right target, starting with the right pistol would have been the 'better' way.

p.s. - Key has a magic camera. It sometimes catches a rare but good run..... ;)

..........Widder

Very good Warden.

the scenerio was 3-2-2-3

starting with the left pistol allowed ya to shoot all the targets WITHOUT having to do any Lead Change or Cross Overs.

If I had started on the right target, starting with the right pistol would have been the 'better' way.

p.s. - Key has a magic camera. It sometimes catches a rare but good run..... ;)

..........Widder

Hey I start with my left pistol all the time! But I'm left handed.

Archived