SASS Wire Forum

Lee load all questions

Hoss

Loaded my first shotgun shells today with a Lee Load all press given to me by Pit Bull Tex. Went well (will test fire a few tomorrow) but I do have a couple of questions.

I noticed a few flecks of powder escape from the machine, as I would slide the charge bar dropping the shot. Not many, like 4-5 pieces each time. Is this normal?

When I finished, I still had powder/shot in the hoppers. I'm sure the shot would be fine, but I dd not want to leave the powder in. I poured it back into the powder jug, but it was fairly awkward. Any suggestions?

Place a piece of wood that is cut to fit over the powder hopper.......

Pour shot into storage container......

Then remove wooden cover and pour powder into storage container

And YES. You have to pick the whole thing up and turn it over.

Had the same question regarding emptying the hoppers. Called LEE and talked to John Lee who suggested the following method. He states that the hopper assembly, leaving the base attached to the bench, can be removed by spreading the operating arms until the 2 pivot pins clear the arms. HOWEVER, he states to be aware that the strong counterweight spring can launch the hoppers upwards once the pins are clear of the arms. Therefore, he states to cover the powder hopper side with your hand, this also helps to restrain the hopper assembly on it's upwards trip. The wood block covering the powder side is also a good idea. I also suggested to Mr. Lee that a plug for the powdwer side would be an interesting accessory as dumping the shot hopper first would get rid of some weight. Hope this helps. Nota John

I use a Lee Load-all and spoon my powder from a plastic cup. I use it for smokeless (Clays, 700-X, RedDot) and BP FFg. I never use the powder side of it since I typically only load 50 shells at a time.

Try again:

My process with a Lee LoadAll:

- size the case and extract the spent primer at stage 1

- reprime and remove the sizer at stage 2

- charge the powder from a Lee dipper with powder in a plastic cup

- reinsert the hull in the LoadAll and proceed per normal Lee instructions

I just use the red lid. Turn it over and cover the powder while pouring out the shot. It's still awkward, but its convenient.

And YES it is common for the Load All II to leak a little powder.

HOT TIP for this loader: The key to a good crimp is a good pre-crimp. Put a mark or notch on the pre-crimp die where the one of the teeth is so that you always start the shell crimp where it was factory crimped. Perfect shells every time.

Nota is right on. I dump the shot first and cover the powder with my palm, into the a funnel in my powder bottle. I store my shot in a large mouth plastic bottle so its easy to dump into. I havve some other Load All tips on the tip page in my web site. If you will PM me I will send you a link.

Archived