SASS Wire Forum

Ammo Shortage is almost gone

irish ike, SASS #43615

We have the Big Reno Gun Show here 3 times a year. There is one vendor who covers both halves of the big exhibit area.

Today at noon no lines for ammo, their shelves and pallets were full. There were all types of primers. NO 22's though. But if you wanted ammo, step up.

Ike

22's are ammo, especially if you are only 10 and 12 like my kids! If this keeps up they are going to have to transition to 45's way sooner than I had planned.

I always walk past the ammo display of any Walmart to get a running account of the inventory. This is the middle of firearms deer season here in Missouri so demand for rifle is high. Today the shelves were no more than half full. It would only be luck if you could find something you could use. It would be like winning the lottery to find what you actually wanted. I've never been in a Walmart when the 22 ammo comes in. I understand, even with allotment, the 22 ammo goes out as fast as it comes in.

Was in Sportsmans Warehouse today needing some cleaning stuff. Walked around ammo area a couple of times. Lots of every kind of ammo except zero 22s. Had not planned to do it but picked up two cases of Rem STSs.

Rimfire...supply still bad.

Oddball stuff...not good.

Even 45LC is tough to get through distribution.

So...good thing ammo shortage is almost gone...right in time for the beginning of the year gov contracts to hit again.

Phantom

A couple of months back we attended a local but good size gun show (400 tables? ) and there was tons of ammo at high but not outrageous high prices. I bought Winchester large pistol primers for $30 / 1000. Only 22 was a few boxes of target at something like $15 / 50.

Just down at Midway last week..

Looked up on their computer for Federal Small Pistol Primers... it said "Backorder"

I looked up Match Federal Small Pistol primers.. "In stock.."

I bought a sleeve.. $37.?? per 1000..

I looked it up this way because a supplier told me he couldn't get regular Federal Small Pistol primers..

but.. He can get Match Federal Small Pistol Primers..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' a little more.. but they had 'em :)

I'm only saying that here, Reno Nevada, the sporting good stores and the gun shows have enough of everything but 22's. Powder is slowly coming around. The vendor, Mywal, brings in pallets of ammo. They reload and their prices are higher but not gouging. Factory ammo, and Pallets of foreign ammo. Military surplus and Wolf. And Winchester primers were readily available.

Was in Sportsmans Warehouse today needing some cleaning stuff. Walked around ammo area a couple of times. Lots of every kind of ammo except zero 22s. Had not planned to do it but picked up two cases of Rem STSs.

This was easily the most completely stocked ammo shelves I have seen any place in Az in a couple of years. Everything but 22s. They had boxes of large rifle primers, large pistol primers and some small pistol primers. They had only a small selection and quantities of powder. When asked about 22s they said they got a little each Fri and they usually save it for customers buying new 22 guns. They also had lots of bulk foreign ammo in ammo cans and cases plus even a small barrel of bulk ammo that was selling for something over $3500 each. The price I paid for STSs was in line with Wal-Mart and everyone else plus a case discount.

Was recently in a "New store to the area" Dunham's. They had 22's and you could buy a limit of 4 at$2 a box. But at least I could get some. Shotgun target loads were $60 a case of 250. But, we at least are seeing ammo.

KK

In NC, good .22 ammo cannot be found but small buckets of waxy Remington bulk stuff is sometimes found at Gander for $.20/round.

All other ammo seems to be available at 50-100% more than prices of summer 2012.

Lead shot has increased from $27 to $50 per 25-lb bag in about a year.

Imported stuff like 7.62x54R and 7.62x25 Tokarev seems to be making a comeback due to the high prices of less exotic stuff.

Ammo prices and availability come up during any conversations with shooters (competition, hunting or self-defense).

Plenty of 22 ammo here. 500 rnd bricks LAPUA Standard Plus 40gr 1050fps @ $ 59.95.

At gun show last weekend in Paducah, KY..lots of ammo. primers also, just not Federal.

At small gun store yesterday, Green Dot, Red Dot and American Select in stock, Winchester primers also. First I've seen of those powders in along time.

Ringer

I was at the new Bass Pro Shops in Colorado Springs and was told by an employee that most if not all .22 Ammo is being shipped to Afghanistan, so the troops can practice with their .22 AR's. I was also told that Pres. Obama was responsible for this action. :o???

At the gun show here last week, one of the Ammo "distributers" told me that the high cost of .22's will never go down as long as people( us) are willing to pay the inflated prices we're paying. :angry: Just like our gas and diesel... :(

Just teliing ya'll what I have heard from two differnt retailers... and I guess that this logic can also apply to all ammo purchases... :wacko:

I don't know what to think, but I do know that the rabbit/ prairie dog popuations are booming right now! ;) and at 25 cents a round for .22's, I can anticipate them getting even higher... :huh:

Respectfully,

CBA

Regardless of market value...we value our customers...as do many other gun shops.

Our mark-up on ammo hasn't changed.

If ya got "enough" ammo at home, leave it on the shelves for others that don't...or are buying a new gun.

Just my opinion...

Phantom

If ya got "enough" ammo at home, leave it on the shelves for others that don't...or are buying a new gun.

Just my opinion...

Phantom

Yep, best way to ease the supply and demand, I was already fairly well stocked before this one and the last. Around here things are looking up, two stores have had primers.....$34/1000 for Win and $32/1000 for Federals, I picked up a 1000 of each for a friend. One shop had 22s $10.99, I got 100, my buddy was completely out so he got 1000. They usually run out late in the week, but every week or two he gets another pallet. Orderd 8lb of Red Dot a few weeks ago, that's what I've always used for that funny smelling powder :D Hang in there pards it's getting better, Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

At gun shows, and dealers, I'm seeing ammo, even .22s (not much, but not empty shelves). Seeing primers at gun

shows and mail order dealers.

What I'm not seeing is powder. Luckily found some at gun show for reloading my 223. Heard the dealer at gun show tell one buyer that she hasn't received powder in 8 months, but primers no problem, slow but still getting them, same for .22s. I've heard this from several shooters also. That powder is a concern. MT

Powder is the concern. Scanning a list of mailorder retailers for the last year has only shown a handful of powders that showed up a couple of months back at 2 on the list. One sold out of that about a week ago. The other still has some. It's the same powders that show up at the gunshows in this area. Saw some of it this last weekend. Price wasn't bad so it looks like powder isn't a panic item anymore, but it's not being produced (?) or something.

The .22s are hit and miss around these parts but enough to keep me in shooting (with care). One of my stores did have some mini-mags last week at 9.98 per 100 but I did not partake. I do have to search a bit between purchases to find cheap 9mm jacketed practice stuff (no shortage on the high end versions). It has been many months since I have seen a bag of small shot in these parts. There is more ammo for sure but prices are a bit elevated in most cases and only really high end stuff in some cases. CBS news is definitely trying to stir the pot in hyper mode but so far it has not paid off but we will see! Yall noticed their constant interjection of a running tally into every shooting they can find?

Not much around Baytown,Texas area.

Was in Academy yesterday, they had plenty of pistol ammo, even a few bricks of 22. Even had 38 SP in 158 gr LRN. I was shopping for 380, they had 4 different varieties. Also had lots of primers.

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

I ran into a guy at Scheels Sports who was buying up all of the ammo he could get (in all gages and calibers) and selling on the internet at jacked-up prices.

I hope he loses his ass doing it. :angry:

Mustang Gregg

(who's still not jacking up his prices)

Commissioner Gordon (my Pa) has told me it was hard to get rimfire ammo during WWII.

MG

Still not finding any trailboss....but, I did find an older Colt Pony SS Double Action 380 in near mint condition.

KK

I ran into a guy at Scheels Sports who was buying up all of the ammo he could get (in all gages and calibers) and selling on the internet at jacked-up prices.

I hope he loses his ass doing it. :angry:

Mustang Gregg

(who's still not jacking up his prices)

Did you say anything to him, Gregg. I would have called him an asshole right there

Archived