SASS Wire Forum

Any one going to Dallas for JFK stuff.

If you do, and you're on the square there, and you see someone who looks like GW Bush and is wearing a black cowboy hat, jeans and boots, it's most likely my brother Tom.

So, if you run into him tell him Paul, said hey, and happy birthday.

if you see a black Peterbilt long nose pulling a shinny stainless steel trailer look for the HOOVER Trucking, that's him.

pb

what am I going to do with you? hmm

I went to the gravesite in Arlington years ago. I have no desire to go to that spot in Dallas.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/JFK/JFK-in-History/Green-Berets.aspx

Nice article but "Command Sergeant Major" was not a rank in 1963.

Technically correct. They should have said "Then Sgt Major Francis Ruddy". He was subsequently promoted when they established the rank in 66. But i saw an article once about General Patton in the Mexican Expedition. He wasn't a general then. Writers write but they're not always right.

I went to the gravesite in Arlington years ago. I have no desire to go to that spot in Dallas.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/JFK/JFK-in-History/Green-Berets.aspx

Thanks Bob. I knew JFK started the Green Berets, but I didn't know about Sgt. Major Francis Ruddy.

I will be proud of JFK, tomorrow, as I have been every day since he was elected. I truly believe he prevented a nuclear war during the Cuban Missile Crisis. For that, we should all be proud of him and thankful for him.

JFK didn't actually start Special Forces, they were in existence since 54. But without his endorsement and support no telling what would have happened. Probably would have remained a very small unit and never would have reached branch status. SF wasn't popular with the Big army.

I still get the blue willies when I think about the 3rd Cav rolling for the east german border about 3 hours after his death. I headed for my Nuclear capable 8" Howitzer Battalion after kissing my wife and daughters goodbye with every expectation that I would never see them again.

Couple of nervous days followed.

Archived