SASS Wire Forum

what is your favorite gun?

evil dogooder

I had one of those LDA's

Loved it.

Regret selling it.

I liked em so much I also bought a stainless double stack 45 and a blued single stack 45.....I carry the 9 cause its a hair lighter and with the extra mag it makes a difference. Most of the time I still have it on as I sit in the recliner at night.....it just becomes a part of ya. If you haven't and you get a chance to dry fire or fire one....it's the sweetest trigger pull on any factory gun I've ever touched....and that covers a lot of ground.

KK

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy,

Wow three pages? Im gonna have to come back later.

But favorite gun is a much more complex question than it sounds like.

Favorite rifle? Shotgun? Handgun?

Most history with me?

Easiest to shoot?

What I want in my hand when something hits the fan?

I guess it would be my ruger flattop. or not....

I think this question needs about 27 catagories.

But since this is SASS, it would be the flattop OR my Winchester 1892.

Ya know, this gives me a thought, maybe I should only buy something

if I like it MORE than my favorites.

Now that's something to think about.

Best

CR

My varmit AR. Mainly because it holds 30 rounds and is illegal in CA, NJ, NY and other places... :P:P

Remington Rand M - 1911 A-1 .45 acp. Never jams, hits what I shoot at.

Also my K-22 S&W. Bought in 1952 used and has been a great gun ever since.

For rifles, it's hard to beat my old Winchester Model 63. (Not a typo, it's a .22 auto.)

My favorite gun? Hummmm....I would say I love em all.....except today it would be a rubber band gun......ammo is plentlyful and it isnt on a band list somewhere,,,,,

S&W 629. First one Camille ever presented me with. I'll eat cat food before that gun and I part ways.

Savage model 24, .22 mag over/.410 under. My Dad's gun. The only one he ever had. That one will never leave me either.

My old Smith Model 19. Sweetest shooting gun I ever had.

Smith J-Frame Centinnial in .32 Mag

Winchester 1892 SRC in .32-20

1911-A1 in .45 ACP with adjustable sights (current favorite is a S&W Doug Koenig model but a Gold Cup would work)

If I lost everything tonight and had to start over, these would be my first choices of replacements.

Project Rifle: H&S stock, Remington 700 stainless steel action (extensive work has been done to this), Remington R5 heavy stainless barrel, Harris bi-pad, Leupold rings and base. Night force scope. I feel like I could put a whole in the moon with it.

Either of these FA 454s would work....http--,,--//10inchamp6inchbackup_zps64d3ff7e.jpg

Billy Boots, what an amazing taste you have in pistols.

I which I could post a pix of my Super Blackhawk Hunter in .45 Colt.

I've had my barrel cut to be flush with the ejector rod housing (approx 5 inches) and magnaported. I've also grooved my front sight and placed a green florescent tube on it.

Your pistols look great.

..........Widder

Billy Boots, what an amazing taste you have in pistols.

I which I could post a pix of my Super Blackhawk Hunter in .45 Colt.

I've had my barrel cut to be flush with the ejector rod housing (approx 5 inches) and magnaported. I've also grooved my front sight and placed a green florescent tube on it.

Your pistols look great.

..........Widder

Thank you Sir.........for a little less punch....my FA 97s

FA97s1_zps946d9c39.jpg

BEAUTIFUL !

Surely those are your main match pistols.

Curious: is that top strap grooved like Colt/s or Ruger Vaqs, or....is there a sight blade implanted.

Love those Octagonal barrels.

I've had Slick set up 2 sets of my Vaqs with his Octagonal barrels and I love em.

I've been tempted to let Slick put me a heavier 17" octagonal barrel on one (or both) of my Widdermatic .32 H&R's but I hate sending them anywhere thru the mail.

..........Widder

My favorite gun is the Colt SAA my father gave to me when I got out of the military. He bought it used in the mid 60's when he was with the Simi Valley Gunfighters. It is beat up to all end but slick as a sneeze and very fun to shoot.

Mine would be my Colt Python my father gave me went I went into Law Enforcement September 1968. The sheriff is letting me carry it to finish out my career.

I also have a sweet little Winchester model 74 that mom gave me for Christmas in 1955.

357 Colt Python 4" and Marlin 336SC in 35 Rem. Both have been with me for a long time.

BEAUTIFUL !

Surely those are your main match pistols.

Curious: is that top strap grooved like Colt/s or Ruger Vaqs, or....is there a sight blade implanted.

Love those Octagonal barrels.

I've had Slick set up 2 sets of my Vaqs with his Octagonal barrels and I love em.

I've been tempted to let Slick put me a heavier 17" octagonal barrel on one (or both) of my Widdermatic .32 H&R's but I hate sending them anywhere thru the mail.

..........Widder

Yes sir, I like the octagons for match work I have a pair I dedicate to major matches and a pair for practice, not-so-major matches, and backup. (Helps to be a long time FA dealer.) Round barrels are nice too.

The strap is grooved, kind of fancy cut narrowing at back to a gap of .1-.106", I keep my front blades at usually .075-..085". and they come serrated.

The round grip frames was an option FA began to offer a few years ago and one I personally like, and generally use although pictured with plow grips.

Bet you would enjoy and octagon barrel on that 32. Heck, you need a new toy.

bb

Everybody has that one gun that just feels best to them. It may not be your fastest, most accurate, or the one everybody drools over. It's the one that just fits you.

So what is it?

Mine would have to be my left hand nmv. It just fits my hand right. I bought a pair of elk grips this summer and it went from being ok to just an extension of my hand. My right hand nmv is close but not quite there.

A close second would be my '94. Made in 1902 26" oct barrel.

(sorry long night of car shopping, need some sanity)

Used to be this : https://plus.google.com/photos/115786146222945467962/albums/5458950911064433745/5674553637775920066?banner=pwa&pid=5674553637775920066&oid=115786146222945467962

Now it's this: https://plus.google.com/photos/115786146222945467962/albums/5458950911064433745/5594928344873931842?banner=pwa&pid=5594928344873931842&oid=115786146222945467962

I love my BHP, but my Colt SAA is the top choice....

SC

For a long time is was a Taurus PT 99 AF. I changed out the walnut grips for Hogue rubber ones. The rear sight is kind of weak and had to be repaired twice. Then I got my hands on a H&K USP Compact with Trijicon Novak Sights. No mods needed! Oooh... Then came along an XDs and I had Springfield Armory swapped in Trijicon sights. Ooooh.... That is where I am at. XDs.

I have others with sentimental value or ones I purchased for different reasons. The XDs is the one I carried the most. Too bad I have to send it back under a recall. Anyway, I'll get it back and carry it some more.

Without a doubt - My Great Granddads Winchester 1892 in 38-40. It was recovered from his horse after he was shot by cattle rustlers (in the back). Been passed down through the family and now it's my turn to cherish it. Been looking for those cattle rustlers ever since.

I have to admit that I also love my Uberti 1873 slicked up by Cody too. Had Larry Hopewell engrave it for me a couple of years ago and it looks great. Shooting it is a dream. Wish it was made in USA.

I Love shootin all the single action revolvers too. Thank God for Ruger!!!

And the Colt 1911, and my SKB, and ...

I Love Em All!!! Maybe that's why I have too many.

Howdy:In the last 2yr.s I picked up 2 browning lever actions one 22-250 and one 7mm......spend alot of time with 'um now .....they'rethe only guns I hunt with now...............Tuco....3pronghorns and 2 deer this year....freezer is full.......

I sold mine about 2 months ago. Value jumped unbelievable, so far the best investment I ever made. I;m keeping my Thompson though, (remember when they were 350.00? )MT

Yes, I remember. Thats when a lot of people where going for the Glocks which is also a nice gun. I think S & W kept the price down because of this. I use mine when I shoot IDPA. Great gun. The older models where the best ones because the newer ones sold in California have some sorta mag safty device.

HS

Archived