SASS Wire Forum

Montado hammers

Blufrost

The Montado hammers and the Super Black Hawk hammers are IDENTICAL except the Montado has cast in checkering on the hammer spur and the SBH hammers have serrations. The "Montado" hammers are very hard to come by so most people use SBH hammers. All the Ruger large frame hammers are interchangeable and the SBH hammer will fit the old Vaquero.

Look up Jack First Parts. They get SBH hammers fairly regularly. When I got mine they were in the $40 + shipping range each.

Howdy,

If you cant find them try the sbh hammers.

Ruger Midway Brownells whatever.

Some do need a little fitting some drop in nice.

If they are outta stock, just order from one place and the backorder will

come in, done.

And if you decide you really don't like em, easy to take out and sell.

Best

CR

Do you guys think the proposed allowance of Bisley hammers in non-Bisley frames will pass the TG's vote? I mean if SBH and Montado hammers are OK then Bisley hammers should be OK given an 1890s gunsmith could have done it.

They really should allow them. The spurs are no lower than the SBH or Montado hammers. If you take a Bisley and grind and polish the sides to the shape of the SBH spur then lay them side by side you can't even tell them apart.

I've done exactly that for my customers when the SBH hammer were not available.

It will probably pass. However, anyone wanting to "drop one in" to their Rugers should remember that a Ruger Bisley hammer will not drop into a Ruger plowhandle grip frame. Either the hammer or the grip frame have to be modified. Thus, the SBH hammers will still be an easier conversion. But, this will provide another source of hammers when the SBH's are in short supply.

Called Ruger they had 4 in stock. So me being the person I am said I will take all 4. The guys says well we have limited customers to 2 pet month as they are so popular. So I have 2 on the way get here next week.

Thanks for all the help.

Archived