SASS Wire Forum

More WWII Brass

Grizzly Dave's post reminded me that I have two WWII dummy rounds in the basement, both brought home after the war and drilled for lamps (oops...who knew?)

About 17 1/2" overall, 2.44" at the base. Brass shell, with a two-piece projectile (aluminum screw-on tip into a very heavy brass section) and crimped into the shell.

Headstamp includes "Dummy Cartridge MK 3", "7-43", "Lot 2830", "329453", an anchor, "AL", and the capital letter "L" inside a triangle.

Dad served on a minelayer (ACM-1) that was converted to a minesweeper and was equipped with a single 40 MM anti-aircraft gun. I assume this was a practice round?

Any value to these?

LL

Sounds like 40mm Bofors round. Pics would help. Does it resemble this?

qa7j.jpg

I wish I had one of the dummy rounds I used to train on. ))

I wonder if it's still :ph34r: classified.

I know that of which you speak and...yes, as far as I know. ;)

UB:

Just like the one on the right of your pic, except that the tip is aluminum in color and the section below that is brass.

Hardpan: your headstamp is nearly identical, as is the overall round - just no fancy colors on mine - ^_^

So, if ya'll got them, I assume they are not rare?

LL

Pic added

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/Franco6666/media/WWII%20Memorabilia/019_zps0a426f64.jpg.html?filters[user]=129601623&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/Franco6666/media/WWII%20Memorabilia/019_zps0a426f64.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=129601623&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0&_suid=138480800806407109612525594788

I wish I had one of the dummy rounds I used to train on. ))

I wonder if it's still :ph34r: classified.

Arm pit high and black container?

Rare is in the eye of the beholder but generally, they are collectable but not what you'd call rare.

Archived