SASS Wire Forum

Best Gun Leather

Blufrost

Have used two different sets of holster since I have been in the game.

I now have been given the ok to get a custom rig.

Who makes the best according to the masses.

Leave me you input.

Thanks

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ I have been using a Mernickle rig for about 3 1/2 years now. I would not trade it for any other. Well maybe a new Mernickle rig, but probably not!! Very happy with it. Great people too!!!

Cheatin'

There are many top leather makers and folks each have their favorites..

When in doubt, I also recommend Mernickle.

But check with your local club and ask some of the top shooters since they normally have researched the options and can share info with oyou.

Only one name comes to mind when it comes to leather and that's Doc Noper. I'd be willing to bet that there are more top shooters using his rigs than any other. Doc's stuff is top quality, made to last, and the guns go into and out of the holsters lightning quick. On top of it all, his turnaround time is very usually very fast. Here's a link to his facebook page. Click on photos to see his products https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doc-Noper-Gun-Leather/150530958333442

There is some nice leather out there but when it comes to funtion,looks,lead time and getting what you want with imput from of the better shooters out there DOC NOPER gets my vote.Plus he is a good cowboy to deal with. NK

I have cross draw rigs from Mernicle and Doc Noper. Both make excellent rigs and are great to work with, especially Doc Noper. I like both rigs but have to give the nod to Doc Nopers rig as it easy to get a customized cant on the holsters and the combination of gun retention and smoothness of draw is really good.

Regards,

Photo Shooter

I use Rod Kibler Leather. He uses rawhide roll on the upper end to keep the opening stiff.

Custom fit to your weapon In Alto GA

I've got two Tombstone Leather rigs and I am very happy with them. Nick is real good to deal with and will make your rig any way you want. http://www.tombstoneleatherproducts.com/contactus.html

Another vote for Doc Noper. Top shooter who actively participates in the game. What that means is that a TON of R&D has gone into his rig and shotgun belt designs. The differences are subtle but majorly enhance the performance compared to some other gear. After 2 years my rig still looks good (I'm hard on them) and I want for nothing else in a rig. Plus you get the best turn around time in the business.

I really like my Kirkpatrick "Tequila" rig. I've had it for at least 6 years and I go to 3-4 shoots a month. Durable as heck!

Rye ;)

A funny question without an answer, sorry!! The truth is that 75% of the SASS shooters who describe their holster as custom are wrong. Their holster rigs are off shell models that allow a few variations. There are true custom makers out there Purdy Gear, Chuck Burrows of WILD ROSE fame and a few others whose work transcends leather and is actually an art form but be prepared to pay big for these museum quality pieces. Ill bet most of their customers actually look at some of their most beautiful work and say; "I want something like that". Most of us do not actually want custom, even when we think we do, so lets put the word custom out of the way UNLESS you have either a true need or a somewhat different vision of your needs. Our pard Red Cent comes to mind as wanting something truly different from the standard fare, not necessarily better or worse, just different for his perceived needs.

No one here can tell you who the best holster maker is, because I do not think that critter actually exists. Most of us will only own a couple of top brand rigs before picking our favorite so we can never give an honest answer as to how our recommendation compares to the dozens of other makers out there. A dozen years ago the answer here would have been Big Ed, then Kirkpatrick was untouchable for awhile, Murphy ustom Leather was really popular fer a spell and right now Mernickle is very often promoted. I dare say Kirkpatrick and Mernickle leather will show up on the hips of more winners than all others combined. Unless you are one of those whose physical limitations do require something really different, either of the top name brand makers will let you down. One last thought, for those who really want something different, call Lone Rider Leather, there is a very creative problem solver at work there.

I've got two Tombstone Leather rigs and I am very happy with them. Nick is real good to deal with and will make your rig any way you want. http://www.tombstoneleatherproducts.com/contactus.html

Get's my vote.

Wonderful person to work with...and he will work with you!

Cheers!

Phantom

Guest Jess Money

Have used two different sets of holster since I have been in the game.

I now have been given the ok to get a custom rig.

Who makes the best according to the masses.

Leave me you input.

Thanks

I feel like I've done my homework. I knew from the first match I attended in 2011 that I was going to like this sport....and I was only taking pictures at that match!! I was in awe of the B Western shooters dress and rigs but I knew I wouldn't be starting out there. When I jumped in with both feet and began purchasing gear, one of the first things I heard was,..."Don't skimp on your rig." I studied leather makers and looked and looked and asked many questions over and over and received many answers, very similar to what you're reading here. I finally had to make a choice and unfortunately, it was based on price due to available funds.

The current rig is very complete and serviceable and will probably last longer than I do, but I recently decided I needed to make some modifications. As stated, I did my homework and at this writing a new rig is being made for me by Bob Mernickle. Bob is very gracious and accommodating and just a downright nice pard. He's gone out of his way making sure of what was ordered was what is wanted and I appreciate his extra attention. I know I'll be pleased when the rig arrives.

I have a custom California Classics crossdraw rig,

I also have a very nice period reproduction rig from R.M. Bachman, but the California Classics outfit is best for me.

I think the OP is getting the "Good" in response to his question. The "Bad" and the "Ugly" will remain tucked away in the closet because no one is going to "badmouth" the big name makers. The "Off the Shelf Makers" are not sitting behind a sewing machine cranking them out one at a time. The volume sellers use sub contractors because they are not a "One Man" shop. They do that because they are trying to make a "price point" with their product for their target market. The better "Makers" will always charge more due to the better quality materials and the time involved to make a quality product. The old addage "You Get What You Pay For" applies here.

I think a "One Man" shop will come closer to satisfying the discriminating buyer than the production shops and the top of the line will come from the shops who have been in the saddle making business for years and possibly have employees who work at the business location.

This is the opinion of a shooter who has tried the the "Big Name" and has learned the difference between "Big Name" and quality, they don't always go together.

Waco Jim

I've only been in this sport for 8 years, but I've worn Black Hills Leather https://blackhillsleather.com/western-rigs-leather/western-rigs.html

for most of those eight years. My oldest rig is the BANDITO RIG and my next is the Korupt Karl Rig. I've been impressed with RUDY and his attention to detail.

He makes a lined, reinforced holster that allows for a fast draw and yet has good retention. RUDY also will be flexible to your DESIRES. His delivery dates are right on.

Just give it a look.

KK

I've only been in this sport for 8 years, but I've worn Black Hills Leather https://blackhillsleather.com/western-rigs-leather/western-rigs.html

for most of those eight years. My oldest rig is the BANDITO RIG and my next is the Korupt Karl Rig. I've been impressed with RUDY and his attention to detail. My rigs are well used and aren't even close to needing any work or replacement.

He makes a lined, reinforced holster that allows for a fast draw and yet has good retention. RUDY also will be flexible to your DESIRES. His delivery dates are right on.

Just give it a look. RUDY is a big supporter of our sport and will usually offer excellent promotional discounts if you mention my name.

KK

For true custom work, I've used Russ the Carver in PA. He has made a holster for my Marlin XX Standard 1873 revolver, incorporated shotshell holders on the side of belts, added reload loops on holsters, etc. He made holsters that handled my Flattop Blackhawks with cutouts for the long rear sights. He will line holsters and belts with whatever linings you want. He is a true custom maker, with reasonable prices.

I once gave him an old floral carved holster, I believe a Bianchi, and had him make a copy for a Super Blackhawk. It was an exact duplicate of the original carving.

I think he is going to retire, but still do custom stuff.

Blufrost - now that you have the cooks tour of rigs owned by the posters - the choice is yours after you ask these questions to the vendor:

* What is the ounce of the leather that they use ... 8 - 10oz is a quality size, not the 4 to 6oz

* Is the leather vegetable or acid tanned ... you want vegetable

* Are the holsters lined - more easy to remove & insert revolvers

* Is the stitching done by hand or machine - hand stitching is a sign of quality

* Engraving - Hand or machine rolled - Quality is hand done

Now, did you ever buy a pair of shoes you didn't try on? Go to the matches - look closely and ask to touch. Then make your decision based on quality and price

Might add: IMO, the creme de la creme rigs were made by Dennis Yoder in Hamburg, PA. Sadly, Dennis has passed on and the Mrs closed the business

I have 4 rigs all custom made

and my favorite leather men are Half Breed out of Eustis FL

and Golden Callus out of Lake Butler FL.

You tell them what you want and they make it,

outstanding craftsmanship!!!!!

Mississippi Kid

I cant believe no one has mentioned Murphy Custom Leather

Persimmon Dan is an awesome shooter and his leather work is just as awesome.

http://customgunleather.com/site/Default.aspx

Pretty sure he is who I am going to get to make my next one.

+1

Ozark Annie and I got our rigs from Dan a couple of months ago and love them. We highly recommend them.

Mary and I are just starting out at CAS so really don't know hill from beans about holsters and riggs. But we ran into a leather worker at a state match that was displaying his work. We later made an appointment to meet with him at his shop. Mary ordered up a custom rig. Custom in the sense that it was designed and assembled specifically for Mary, how she plans to shoot and her guns. The process involved an extensive interview as to how and where she wanted the belt to ride, buckle in front, side, back? Loops on belt? A slide for shot shells? How many and double loops, or single. How many cartage loops and what caliber. Where the slide will be positioned and so on. Measurements were taken. All this besides choices in style, color, embellishments, etc. The whole process of getting the rig designed took a couple of hours. About three weeks later we were called and told the rig was ready. It was just as he said it would be. Mary tried it on and was happy with it. He went through an inspection process and then ask if it was ok. His policy is, if it's not like you wanted, he'll make it over.

When Mary's rig was approved, I placed an order for my rig. The interview and design process wasn't as long or as complicated as with Mary's rig as we had already went over it ordering hers. And women have special fitting needs. My rig should be ready in the next couple of weeks.

I apologize that I didn't get the maker's name. His shop is "The Cows Hide" in Buffalo, Missouri. I think he said he did leather work in Arizona before moving to Missouri.

My HASTINGS made custom rig is a delight to use and a pleasure to look at.

www.hastingsholsters.com

Sorry, on this short. I actually mentioned one of their popular rigs in my post rather than the maker. I'll go back and edit my post.

There are just to many really good leather workers out there making holsters to cover in one post. Also do not short many of the big name outfits, they reached the top only after many years of dedicated customer satisfaction. One good example is John Bianchi's Frontier Gunleather, not only is he often referred to as the father of modern gunleather, he and Kid Cavalier are turning out some really top drawer leather.

Murphy custom gunleather

Colt faro - not sure if he still does

Doc noper

Good luck!

Think Colt is only doing some for himself now.

Or maybe a close friend if you can talk him into it.

But his work is top notch. And looks great also.

Archived