SASS Wire Forum

Most Challenging Category

Buckhorn Bud

I’m sure I’m not alone on this and thought maybe it would be good to hear from others who feel the same. A lot of people choose a category in order to be competitive. I choose a category to find a challenge.

I’ve always been partial to cap & ball guns so Frontiersman seemed like a natural transition for me. Frontiersman is often thought of as the most challenging category but it still wasn’t challenging enough for me.

Gunfighter seemed like it would be fun but I wasn’t interested in giving up my cap and ball revolvers… Cap & ball gunfighter? Why not? It’s not a sanctioned category but my club
let me sign up for it anyway. There’s not a lot of competition in that category (I’ve only once had another cap & ball gunfighter to shoot with) but it is a whole lot of fun. Still a little more challenge might make it even better.

I’d heard of a Josey Wales category where the rifle is replaced with a second set of revolvers and thought that might be worth trying. I mentioned the idea to the board and after a little bit of deliberation our club adopted a set of rules for the category. Basically we have the same gun
requirements as Classic Cowboy only we use 4 revolvers and no rifle. Revolvers must be shot either dualist or gunfighter style and all ammo must be black powder (or sub).

Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I aquired a second set of cap & ball revolvers and decided to shoot Josey Wales category gunfighter style. I don’t care if I come in dead last at every match. This has got to be the most fun category I have experienced to date. Can it get any better? What categories, sanctioned or not, do you find the most fun? Is there something else worth trying?

Always fun to try new things.

The club I shoot at offers Pistolero on it's 5th Saturday matches, 4 revovlers, no rifle, any powder, legal caliber and shooting style. Been tempted to try it but as yet haven't.

Last year I shot gunfighter for a few matches and that was fun even though it slowed me way down and earned me a P or two.

I shoot cowboy even though I qualify for 49er. Ain't gonna win either one, but the list in Cowboy is most often shorter.

Hey Bud,

It was sure fun shootin" with you today as you shot in that Josey Wales category.

It took the counters a bit until they figuured out what C&B hits look (and sound) like at SASS regulation rifle taget distances. :P You did really well! :D

I agree with your philosophy, and that is why I shoot C&B. As you know, I have some arthritis problems with my fingers that has stopped me form shooting duelist or gunfighter.

I have refused to accept this and have worked phys therapy and dry firede one handed several times a week to try to overcome this (I REALLY want to shoot Frontiersman!). I intend to try to shoot duelist at our next match (that is my challenge) - we shall see!

Harvey :D

I have achieved solid mediocrity with my C & Bs in Frontiersman and am now pursuing gunfighter.

I would think nearly all of us find every style has its own set of challenges for each of us.

But I'm also thinkin one of the most challenging styles of shooting and achieve good skills in doing so, would be any variations of OUTLAW GF.

Whether its with BP or smokyless stuff, shooting pistols and SG from the hip on every stage scenerio and types of targets can be very challenging in itself. And to achieve a high level of efficiency is all together another thing.

To me, OUTLAW GF, in any variation associated with it, would be the most challenging.

..........Widder

I like challenges too, which is why my preferred categories are Lady Gunfighter or when possible Josey Wales/pistolero (though the clubs around here have slightly different rules). But what looks to me like the most challenging would be Outlaw...ain't got up the guts ta try that one yet....my hubby loads all my shotgun shells and I'm not sure how happy he would be with me if I started missing shotgun targets all the time..... ;)

Challenges are where YOU find them.

Some don't think shooting two handed is a challenge. But then add in

trying to shoot it at hyper speed.

Now it's a challenge that most don't want to work hard enough to achieve.

Shooting Double Duelist well can be a challenge. Now try and do it and keep up

with those good two handed shooters.

Again. Something most don't want to work hard enough to achieve.

There are challenges in EVERY category. IF you want them.

Shooting Frontiersman GFer style? Just like any other. The challenge is what YOU make it.

Definitely Outlaw gunfighter!!!

If anyone doubts it, just try shooting with a gun in each hand from the hip. There are those among us like Tennessee Tombstone who can do it and even shoot a clean match but then again he's been doing it for about forty or fifty yeatrs. (sorry TT)

I'm still working on it but my left hand has a habit of going rabbit hunting in the mddle of the stage. To me it's the ulitmate style.

Gran Patron because you have to survive to enter! :-)

Josey Wales appears interesting. Do you wear two holsters? Are only percussion pistols allowed? I think that four Old Navys would work well in Gunfighter style. Possibly four revolver "Outlaw Gunfighter" would be a hoot!

Gran Patron because you have to survive to enter! :-)

Good answer. I hope to survive to enter that.

Josey Wales appears interesting. Do you wear two holsters? Are only percussion pistols allowed? I think that four Old Navys would work well in Gunfighter style. Possibly four revolver "Outlaw Gunfighter" would be a hoot!

Each club does Josey Wales a little differently. We allow any SASS legal revolver of .40 cal or larger or cap & ball of .36 cal or larger.

I would think nearly all of us find every style has its own set of challenges for each of us.

But I'm also thinkin one of the most challenging styles of shooting and achieve good skills in doing so, would be any variations of OUTLAW GF.

Whether its with BP or smokyless stuff, shooting pistols and SG from the hip on every stage scenerio and types of targets can be very challenging in itself. And to achieve a high level of efficiency is all together another thing.

To me, OUTLAW GF, in any variation associated with it, would be the most challenging.

..........Widder

I'm curious about outlaw. What happens when you have to shoot over a ledge that is about chest high? I think I'm going to have to try that sometime. ;)

Buck; At the Indiana Black Powder Guild we have a two day shoot each year and I have found that Josie Wales is very challenging. Staging the two pistols we use for rifle it is a slower category as you have to aim a bit when you're reaching out to the rifle targets.

I think it would be a definite challenge to add cap and ball to it. I've tried outlaw and it's not for me....a friend shoots outlaw GF and that sounds extremely challenging.

Enjoy whatever you do. Palerider GF, Classic Cowboy, B Western....they can all be fun as well as challenging. Madd Mike, if I'm right, has finished top ten at EOT in a multitude of categories...now that takes some doing.

KK

Heeee Haaaa..Bud.. I found that Sqaw-Grippen (two hands on the gun)has been most challenging for me.. :o I started in may of this year.. :unsure: I did not know how to shoot two handed.. :( I was taught by Duece Stevens. :D One of the TOP Shooters In The Country.. :P I plan on being more competive next year.. ;)

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Good answer. I hope to survive to enter that.

Each club does Josey Wales a little differently. We allow any SASS legal revolver of .40 cal or larger or cap & ball of .36 cal or larger.

I'm curious about outlaw. What happens when you have to shoot over a ledge that is about chest high? I think I'm going to have to try that sometime. ;)

Regarding Outlaw, as described to me over the weekend by T-Bone. Revolvers do not necessarily have to be at hip level and may be raised. However, the use of sights is forbidden, thus ALMOST eye level is legal per the Outlaw rules just don"t get caught looking down sights. Gunfighter style is, of course, legal as long as sights on revolvers are not used. Shotgun is also shot without use of bead and/or rib, much more of a "from the hip" style. A good Outlaw shooter such as T-Bone, TN Tombstone, and others, are quite interesting to watch. Heck, IMO, a good gunfighter shooting using sights is pretty awesome to watch.

bb

I've been shooting Outlaw now for a couple years.

I tried using sights in practice a few months ago and found myself missing more often than just shooting from the hip.

So Outlaw has ruined any chance of me ever going back to "normal" shooting. :o

Thanks, Larry Earp. :lol:

Anyhow, I think the ultimate would be:

Frontiersman Black Powder Outlaw Gunfighter Jose Wales.

You'd have to get a "desk job" (unloading table) though to reload all them cylinders.

I'm thinking you're not gonna see too many folks shooting this style. B)

Waimea (stickin with plain old Outlaw Gunfighter fer a while yet)

:FlagAm:

I have achieved solid mediocrity with my C & Bs in Frontiersman and am now pursuing gunfighter.

Hey Noz!!

Our buddy, Fire 'n' Falback, won FCGF overall at Tennessee State shooting his Frontiersman gear!! Then he shot CAC in a total time of less the 260 seconds!! You could say he had a good weekend!

I tried using sights in practice a few months ago and found myself missing more often than just shooting from the hip.

You'd have to get a "desk job" (unloading table) though to reload all them cylinders.

I did that the last year at Possum Trott for Smokeout In The Hills! Too much fun!!

Hey Bud,

It was sure fun shootin" with you today as you shot in that Josey Wales category.

It took the counters a bit until they figuured out what C&B hits look (and sound) like at SASS regulation rifle taget distances. :P You did really well! :D

I agree with your philosophy, and that is why I shoot C&B. As you know, I have some arthritis problems with my fingers that has stopped me form shooting duelist or gunfighter.

I have refused to accept this and have worked phys therapy and dry firede one handed several times a week to try to overcome this (I REALLY want to shoot Frontiersman!). I intend to try to shoot duelist at our next match (that is my challenge) - we shall see!

Harvey :D

Thank you Harvey. I think I've narrowed down the cap issues with my Remmingtons. I didn't have enough caps to test them them for a while. After a little tuning I took them to the range yesterday and only had issues with one cylinder. I replaced those nipples so hopefully it'll work better when I can get to the range again.

Keep up the therapy. You're making great progress. I'm looking forward to seeing you shoot duelist. If all goes well you'll soon be able to shoot Josey Wales with me.

Always fun to try new things.

The club I shoot at offers Pistolero on it's 5th Saturday matches, 4 revovlers, no rifle, any powder, legal caliber and shooting style. Been tempted to try it but as yet haven't.

Last year I shot gunfighter for a few matches and that was fun even though it slowed me way down and earned me a P or two.

I shoot cowboy even though I qualify for 49er. Ain't gonna win either one, but the list in Cowboy is most often shorter.

Around these parts that's called Josey Wales. :ph34r: Rye

..........Widder

I do believe you "nailed it" Widder.

Josey Wales with Walkers. Man that's 24 lbs of guns hanging on your body? Take a real young horse to do that.

Now that sounds sounds like fun. That would definitely put me in last place but it would be worth it. As it is JW gunfighter put me 3rd from the bottom but it sure is fun. lol

My personal opinion would be "Frontiersman Josey Wales Gunfighter" with either Dragoons or Walkers.

Don't shoot Frontiersman myself 'cause I don't have the patience, but man I sure like watching them.

Shakey

I'll have to pump a lot more weights before I can do that. I'm doing good to get 5 hits shooting duelist with my Walker before my right arm gives out. Not sure I can even lift it with my left.

I'll have to pump a lot more weights before I can do that. I'm doing good to get 5 hits shooting duelist with my Walker before my right arm gives out. Not sure I can even lift it with my left.

If you shoot Outlaw you can't be concerned about misses or where you place in the overall standings.

If you shoot Outlaw you don't have to lift them as far. ;)

Waimea

Most places around here have serious round over the berm issues and don't allow from the hip now, except for shotgun.

It was plenty of work to be able to shoot FCGF - my challenge is to do it better.

Good point. It would be easy to put a round over the berm at our range too. Guess I won't be doing Outlaw here.

Most places around here have serious round over the berm issues and don't allow from the hip now, except for shotgun.

It was plenty of work to be able to shoot FCGF - my challenge is to do it better.

Round over the berm = MDQ.

We have pretty tall berms but it still taken VERY seriously, as it should.

I'm guessing the issues in CT are that some developer decided to buy cheap land next to the gun range and build a subsivision.

Waimea

Round over the berm = MDQ.

We have pretty tall berms but it still taken VERY seriously, as it should.

I'm guessing the issues in CT are that some developer decided to buy cheap land next to the gun range and build a subsivision.

Waimea

Sister Theresa’s orphanage is on the other side of the berm here, or so I’ve heard.

All I’ve ever seen over there is sand, sage brush and creosote bushes…

Archived