SASS Wire Forum

. . Colt Revolver . . .

The photo of the frame shows an 1875 patent date, yet the text says the gun was made in 1871. Which is two years before the SAA was even introduced. The serial number is from 1882, the same year James was killed and it is martially marked. Neat gun, but the story of the gun is a little strange.

The photo of the frame shows an 1875 patent date, yet the text says the gun was made in 1871. Which is two years before the SAA was even introduced. The serial number is from 1882, the same year James was killed and it is martially marked. Neat gun, but the story of the gun is a little strange.

So a "slight discrepancy" . . . . take a chance . . . buy it anyhow . . . it's only $ 1.6 million. :o:blink:;):P

. . .. if that is too much to spend . . . . I've got his back up pistol . . . was passed down to me by my grandfather . . . i'll let you have it for a cheap 500,000 $s . . . and i'll throw in the mineral rights to the Brooklyn bridge as an extra . . . . ;)

So a "slight discrepancy" . . . . take a chance . . . buy it anyhow . . . it's only $ 1.6 million. :o:blink:;):P

That's one of the "problems" (a good problem) with SASS. You have to buy revolvers in pairs. :)

That's one of the "problems" (a good problem) with SASS. You have to buy revolvers in pairs. :)

Yep. When that Colt serial no. 1 was up for auction a while back . . . . I considered bidding . . . . but they didn't have no. 2 so not able to have a pair I declined to bid. ;)

I have one just like it only older, ser no. starts at 38XXX issued to the US Army. wonder what it is worth

Have a picture of it being carried by General Grant at Appomattox . . . claim it was a prototype model . . . .aks a fortune for it . . . :o:huh::P

Probably only because the British journalist who wrote the article is clueless (like most journalists, but I digress). Clearly the gun was manufactured after the 1875 patent date that's stamped on it -- which is consistent with the serial number's date. More questionable is whether it ever belonged to Jesse James, especially given that it was made in the year of his death ... although that could be possible. Certainly James didn't own it for long, if he ever actually did.

Archived