SASS Wire Forum

Two different sweeps in the same stage? Good idea or bad?

Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580

Howdy, y'all. We're starting a new club hereabouts from the ashes of an old one. Two of us will be doing the lion's share of the stage writing. We were talking today about potential stages and the question came up of using two different sweeps in the same stage. For instance:

Progressive sweep the rifle targets starting on the left: 1,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4,4

Make rifle safe

With pistol, double-tap Nevada sweep starting on the left: 1,1,2,2,3,3,2,2,1,1

With shotgun shoot all knockdowns in any order

Is this too complicated? What do y'all think?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can get a"P" no matter what the sweep is,but I like it fine.

Not complicated and sounds like fun except for one thing...most lefties prefer stages that let you start on either end...the order stays the same either way but it's really uncomfortable having to shoot in a direction that feels totally backwards....

+1.... there is no advantage to starting on either end. Most clubs are now going to that instruction and even 'start from any window; any gun' type instructions. It spices things up and sometimes will even dramatically alter how a leftie; gunfighter; duelist might want to shoot the stage.

Most lefties would prefer the option of starting on "either" end as most would prefer going right to left. I don't have a problem with a stage with different sweeps for the rifle and pistol, but I wouldn't want to see it on every stage.

As I get older I sometimes need to be reminded "again" as I'm staging my guns. Damn it sucks getting older.

Trial by error will tell as Possum pointed out.

KK

giving the option of starting on either end is also greatly appreciated by BP shooters!

Trial by fire! That's the best way.

Yep, thats probably the best way for YOUR CLUB.

feedback from your shooters will tell you something. PLUS, count the misses and 'P's for this stage in relation to the other stages.

BUT, I do have a couple questions.

why dictate which end to start on for the rifles.

AND, why dictate which end to start on for the pistols. Actually, for the pistols, why not just state: 'Starting on ANY target'. This would even allow a start on P2 if the shooter so desired.

Nevada sweeps do not have to start on 'either end' all the time. They can still be a Nevada Sweep, even when starting on the middle plate.

A SALUTE to you for taking on the job of stage writing. That is commendable.

..........Widder

Looks okay to me. See what the feedback is afterwards and build on it.

giving the option of starting on either end is also greatly appreciated by BP shooters!

Yes, sir.

Y'all need to have fun with it and ask your shooters what they are thinking. Even if you don't ask...you so something wrong and they'll let you know.

Good cowboys will also let you know when you are doing it well, too.

There's one real problem with starting at any target on a sweep, and that is the counters don't know where to look or what to expect.. To insure fairness in spotting to all shooters, I'm of the opinion that letting them choose starting from either end is fine, but starting just anywhere, is asking for poor results from the spotters, and makes their job a lot harder.

Simply a bad idea, as far as I'm concerned.

RBK

This is fine two simple sweeps, I agree with others about starting on either end why penalize lefties and sometimes starting in middle and when possible let shooters pick direction of moving.

what i do alot is make pistol and rifle similar, like with pistols do two individual nevada sweeps or a continuous nevada sweep and with rifle do a double tap nevada sweep or say another one with pistols do two 2-1-2 sweeps from same direction with rifle do two 2-1-2 sweeps from both direction( ie 2-1-4-1-2), another thing you can do is use different amount of targets between rifle and pistol but use same sweep or similar like use four targets for pistol and do a lawrence welk sweep and for rifle use two targets and alternate a lawrence welk on two targets.

also there are some sweeps that just shoot different between rifle and pistol like a badger sweep or a hoot sweep

just some ideas AO

:D That's the way my club did it when I started ....like it had fun doing it got some p,sss but then the gamers came a long and out the door it went :blink:

:D That's the way my club did it when I started ....like it had fun doing it got some p,sss but then the gamers came a long and out the door it went :blink:

I always like to look up someones scores when they throw around the "Gamer" thing. Hell, we all want to shoot our best and if along the way we get a bit faster....does that make us a gamer. I noticed that your scores average around 45 seconds a stage at a recent shoot. Was this with the same sweeps for rifle and pistol or with similar sweeps for each?

Just wondering. But, are you still having fun or did the common sweep thing ruin it for you?

KK

Thanks for the input, folks. I hadn't thought about the start from either end, but that's a good idea that I like to see myself. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks, Widder, there hasn't been a club around here with regular monthly shoots for a while, and I was thinking a while back about how cool it would be to have a club in the neighborhood again but couldn't think of anybody to take it on, so I decided to do it myself. Kind of the old necessity is the mother of invention thing, so to speak... :D

Gamers can handle anything thrown at them so the change must of been because other folks were having problems or MD maybe was following SASS's recomendations.

;) AO

I always like to look up someones scores when they ..............

Interesting tactic.

I'm new to these forums. How does one go about looking up the scores of any other SASS member? It appears to be easy if they're in your home state, but how did someone from Indiana find scores for someone from Utah?

Dern, blasted Gamers!

lets hang em all.

everytime ya get around em, all they do is answer questions on practice techniques, tell ya how to improve and/or fix a broken firearm (and sometimes even fix it for free), help your wife or child to improve their shooting skills, serve as Match Directors, RO's, Posse leaders, TO's, and prove that things once thought impossible, are really possible with proper techniques and practice.

YEP, basically, those ornery Gamers have been bad boys and girls.

I saw a bunch of em hangin out together at GOA this year and a black cloud was floatin over their heads and following them everywhere.

I think one of them was wearing a bright YELLOW, ugly shirt and smokin a cheap cigar..... :P

..........Widder

Interesting tactic.

I'm new to these forums. How does one go about looking up the scores of any other SASS member? It appears to be easy if they're in your home state, but how did someone from Indiana find scores for someone from Utah?

KK works for the NSA..... :ph34r:

Morning Litl Red.

Actually, in some of our mini-bios under our avatars, we list our club(s), etc...

then you can go to the SASS home page and click on 'Affiliated Clubs' which will take you to a map of the U.S. Click on the state you want to view. This will take you to a listing of all the SASS clubs in that state, of which you can then click on any particular club to visit their website, etc...

For example: you live in NC. And although you didn't list your home club, a person could view ALL of the clubs in NC and look for your name. Assuming you shoot a monthly match somewhere every couple months, you're scores can be found, your placement can be seen and even the category you shot in.

Hope this helps.

..........Widder

Stage writing is an art.

If you start out knowing that you will not please everyone, you have a good start.

More than one order is fine as long as it is simple. The majority of shooters do not like a memory contest. If it causes procedurals, they will not be happy. This is not to say they should not be challenged but don't put two challenges in the same stage.

Having all stages, shooter option can also be boring for some.

Just because lefties don't like shooting left to right does not mean that all stages should be right to left either.

Your real challenge is to try and please everyone at least once or twice during the entire match. Lefty stages, Gunfighter stages etc. Then you have to consider ladies, kids, old folks, speedsters, up close, far away and moving targets.

The more I think about it, it's lucky we ever make anyone happy!

While I see nothing wrong with this I personally I like the rifle and pistol sequences to be the same. Most of them wind up seeming different anyway when you come to the pistol unless yer shootin' gunfighter.

Rye ;)

KK works for the NSA..... :ph34r:

Morning Litl Red.

Actually, in some of our mini-bios under our avatars, we list our club(s), etc...

then you can go to the SASS home page and click on 'Affiliated Clubs' which will take you to a map of the U.S. Click on the state you want to view. This will take you to a listing of all the SASS clubs in that state, of which you can then click on any particular club to visit their website, etc...

For example: you live in NC. And although you didn't list your home club, a person could view ALL of the clubs in NC and look for your name. Assuming you shoot a monthly match somewhere every couple months, you're scores can be found, your placement can be seen and even the category you shot in.

Hope this helps.

..........Widder

It is scarry how much you can find out about yourself on the Internet!

Gamers can handle anything thrown at them so the change must of been because other folks were having problems or MD maybe was following SASS's recomendations.

;) AO

+1 Arcadia, Well said.

Blame the "gamers" i.e. fast shooters because the sweeps getting changed to something you don't like?? :wacko: Maybe you should take a turn writing some stages yourself. ;)

JEL

"Gamer": The "George Bush" of Cowboy Action Shooting when it comes to laying blame for our own ineptitude.

Now that's funny!! :D:P:lol:

JEL

The majority of shooters do not like a memory contest.

Keying in on one thought from Chuckaroo: Many of our older shooters are at a stage of life where their short-term memory is not so good. Avoid frustrating them by avoiding memory contests. The fellow that got me into CAS eventually quit because he could no longer remember new sweeps. Our stage writers overwhelmed his failing memory.

Keying in on one thought from Chuckaroo: Many of our older shooters are at a stage of life where their short-term memory is not so good. Avoid frustrating them by avoiding memory contests. The fellow that got me into CAS eventually quit because he could no longer remember new sweeps. Our stage writers overwhelmed his failing memory.

Probably was time for him to stop for the safety of others

I write the stages for one monthly shoot each year. Allowing the shooter to start from the target of his choosing is good. Starting a sweep from the left is good. Staring from the right is good. Starting from the ends and working in is good. Starting from the center and working out is good. Starting with any gun is good. Dictating the gun order is good. Lots of movement is good. Stand and deliver is good.

Its all good, just don't get stuck in a rut. I try to KISS (keep it simple, stupid) it and vary it.

That's my story and I am sticking to it

Chancy

Archived