SASS Wire Forum

shooters who made an impression on yer life!

Montana Longhair 27261

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Humbling to see my name on a couple lists. I refuse to post a list because I am sure I would certainly fail to mention someone who truly is near and dear to me. I will say there is the traveling circus crew. I will say I have a very select inner circle. I will say that I never dreamed I would have any where near this many close friends from all across the fruited plains!. (Not acquaintances) Allie, I will respond to your comment......likewise! This game has made me wealthy beyond belief! Now the one name I will shout out loud.........RUTHLESS McDRAW I love ya and miss ya every day!!!!!!

In no particular order, except as they occurred to me:

Judge Roy Bean

Tex

Hangfire Hank (non/pre-SASS alias)

Montana Dan (non/pre-SASS alias)

China Camp

Tequila

Goody

Dusty Boddems

Frenchy

4 Aces (original)

Brazos & Stands Alone (brothers)

Smucky

Mo & Curly K

Long Ranger Rick & Chula Kat

Deacon Dean

Crapshooter

Moss E Horn aka: Bill Hahn (changed his alias so many times & I can't remember one off the top of my head)

But 1st among them all is Sly Di.

I know I'll leave someone out, but I have to list a few.

Jon Edmonds - my late brother, who always wanted to be a cowboy, but couldn't. He sponsored me in the early days when money was tight and made it possible for me to play this game.

Lawman Mark

Andrew Quigley

The late, great, Bobcat Sparks - RIP

Col. J. Mark Flint

Cherokee Charlie

Oklahomabound

Harman Hammer

El Camino

Sidekick

Buck D Law

Randy Saint Eagle

Koda Joe

Sawyer

Hair Trigger Floyd

To those I have forgotten, my most sincere apologies. Memory is the second thing to go! ;)

Sassafras Kid........... He was the one who got me started in this great game. R.I.P. My Friend.

Others who have been a great help.

Alamo Kid

Col R.M. Moore

Ned Plinkerton

Old Man Sykes

and

Deuce Stevens for selling me a great pair of pistols.

All the shooters who made us so welcome and included us in Yavapai Rangers, especially our coach Pecos Clyde. A special thanks to Colt Faro who spent so much time at Winter Range encouraging me to get started.

Furball, What a great post for everyone.... Having walked this earth for over 67 years I've gotten to know a lot of people both in this sport and out. I've only been in SASS since 05 but I can honestly say that my absolute closest friends are in this sport.

I talk to you, CC, Doc Eells. Cheyenne and Widder many times each week and see some of you more often. You guys have become closer to me than my friends from my lifetime. While there are many, many more that I hold dear to my heart, these five guys are in my inner circle.

Paradise Pass, Wolverine Rangers, Piqua, Circle R, Bristol and Guns of August....you guys and gals rock. Rick and the others that get to come and visit along with the Travelin Circus are a group of the finest. The Indiana Black Powder Guild is a special group as well, with CR, Dawg and Kid and Mingo who help put this on.....and then there are the Jedi Gunfighter's that have become very special to me as a group.

In Florida I've gotten to know some great people that put on the Last Stand and those involved in the Siege, Ides and the GoldCoast Gunslingers. You guys and gals know who you are.

I love all the ladies and I believe in three things that need to happen each day. You need to LAUGH, to HUG someone and YOU NEED TO FEEL LOVED. This sport gives me all three and for that I'm grateful. As others have said, I can't name you all and apologize if I overlooked anyone.....Hell, I can't remember where I am half the time.....lol.

I Love This Sport.....

KK

Aimless Jane (the love of my life)

Curly & Daisey Sackett

John Larn

Billy Boots & Miss Ann (sold him his first antique pocket watch when he started cas)

Boston John Doucette

Sandstorm

Deaf Laws & Aimless Annie

The Kernal

Nooga Kid

so many more

Aimless Jane (the love of my life)

Curly & Daisey Sackett

John Larn

Billy Boots & Miss Ann (sold him his first antique pocket watch when he started cas)

Boston John Doucette

Sandstorm

Deaf Laws & Aimless Annie

The Kernal

Nooga Kid

so many more

Thanks Col, I still have it.

i had forgot about Curly and Dailsy. i know they split up, but is Bob still around area?

HICO KID

sure wish he was still around

About the first shooter I ever saw shoot gunfighter from hip.....early Outlaw for sure. He used to be at Rabbit Ridge sometimes.

I certainly recognize many of those listed, and can say that a good number of them have played a big role in my Cowboy Action shooting life and a few in my life as "Me". I wouldn't dare try to list all of those who played a part, but I can can say that I got a lot of early help from Richard... "Avenger". Tom Doodly Squat was the guy that helped me put it all together and get moving in the right direction. I can only thank the many friends who have encouraged me when I was down, and celebrated with me when the Sun Shined the brightest. My Cowboy family has truly been a major part of my life for the past 20 years, and I expect to die in the saddle.

Snakebite

Thanks Col, I still have it.

i had forgot about Curly and Dailsy. i know they split up, but is Bob still around area?

Yep Billy, Bob's still around. He's cut back on shooting because of health issues but he still has his gunsmithing business. You know Daisy was killed in a motorcycle accident in Feb. '06 don't you? She was dating another CTS member and was on the back of his bike and a car hung a U turn right in front of them. She had a helmet on but was killed instantly and he spent several weeks in ICU & months in rehab.

In no particular order...........

Geronimo Jim & Doc Shapiro.....helped me get started when I was a newbie, Jim also taught me how to reload

Too Dang Frank......just a good ole boy, he's passed away now and I miss him greatly. Every time I shoot the Colt SAA's that he left me, I think of him the most.

Chuckaroo.......need I say more, the guru of everything cowboy in this area and has helped me much, especially since I became MD of a club, his knowledge and information is priceless.

Oracle Jones........former MD of the club that I took over, his help, friendship and information have been priceless.

Jingles Jerr......another good ole boy that helped teach me to be the best RO/TO that I can be many years ago

Cash Caldwell.......my cowboy gunsmith and friend, a great guy to deal with, also full of usefull information over the years.

Slash 8.......if you knew Slash, you'd know why, nuff said

I've made many friends that have a "place" in my life since playing cowboy that aren't on the "list" but these are the true stand-outs. Please don't get offended if ya didn't make the top list, you are all valuable to me as FRIENDS.

Texas Gunslinger...T Bone Dooley...Nuttin' Graceful........Billy Boots... Saddle Rash ...Widder...(even Cole Blue Steel...thats another story) ;)

There are others ...but you know who you are.

Following helped a lot with getting started, with the what, when and where for equipment, shoots and things related to SASS.

Doc Caddo

Ed Seiker, Texas Ranger

Gate Killer Kate

Kit Dalton

El Rio Rojo

Stateline Scott

Texas John Ringo (the real Ringo)

Arkansas

E. T.

Happy Trails

Most everybody in SASS has been very helpful, but the ones who stand out for me the most as far as encouragement and pressing me to stay in the game when I really didn't think I should are Blackwater, Randy St Eagle, and Buck Dodgers….Sherrif Frank Canton, I love you too..I probably would have quit had it not been for these guys and now I'm glad I didn't..Thanks Y'all! Also..Papa Dave an Branchwater Jack..

When I originally posted on this I was thinking of people in the club and left out probably the most important person..my husband Brada Tat Tat, who is the person that introduced me to CAS. When I used the excuse that I didn't have any weapons to shoot with, he started buying me weapons so that I couldn't use that excuse anymore.

When I wanted to quit he would just laugh at me and then buy me something cowboy related..haha..he signed me up for tournaments when I would beg him not to, and then I would win a belt buckle and he would say..see i told you…he's taught me to have fun and not worry about the actual competitive part so much.

China Camp

Sadly never had the pleasure to meet the man but many years ago I got a VHS tape of a end of trail match tat featured China Camp.

They did an interview with him and

his family as well as showed him shooting. Peaked my interest and caused me to look into shooting SASS

Now, it's all the friends I have in SASS and it seems each new match the list becomes longer. If the pards of SASS were not so friendly I would no longer be shooting

Let's see the people from around our area who helped me when I first started out:

Walco Curly

Kocheese

Snapshot

Wrangler Rich

Spur

Those who have helped me later:

Calamity Nan

Wes Flowers

Toranado

Asleep at the Wheel

Two sons

Slick McClade

Lassiter

T-Bone

And the list goes on because I try to learn from every cowgirl and cowboy I meet.

Inspired me to shoot. That's easy my dad. Seeing him do wondrous things with his Marlin .22 gave me the bug.

After that was the trick shooters on tv. I always would watch them then go out and try to duplicate it.

Western guns. John Wayne!

Now the as for shooters in cas. Everyone. Those I've met, or just talked to. They have inspired me to be a better shooter, most by their good example, some by their bad.

The biggest influences shooting have been

Amen strait

Timber jack Thompson

Jackpine bill

And the folks of granite city gunslingers.

Grannie annie

Straight arrow hombre

Doc noper

Duece stevens

Jonny otter

The biggest that i haven't personally met are

Bama red

Wolfgang

Buck d law

I'm sure I've missed a bunch of names.

Been shooting with these guys for many years and they are all friends and are always willing to help out another shooter.

Luther justice

Lady Justice

Wrangler Ron

Scrag (can teach a shooter more in 15 minutes than you could get with a 4 year degree)

Bat Masterson

Notorius

Colorado Big Al

Calvin Hobbes and Barbary Coast

Slow Poke Wyoming and Daisee Bristol

Chuck Sellier

Crowbeads and Little Deb for taking me under their wing and teaching me the basics of this game. Also learned how to be a good RO from them.

San Juan for teaching me how to run a 97.

A young lady named Holy Terror and her grandma and grandpa for teaching me how to do everything better.

Red River Wrangler for teaching me what it takes to put on a good match, "Don't forget we are hear to provide ENTERTAINMENT!"

Sweet Lil for building a lifetime supply of shirts that fit me!

T-Bone, Nuttin Graceful for a great EOT duelist seminar that got me thinking about Classic Cowboy.

Brother King for always being Classic CB to the max, my idol!

Lots more great SASS folks have been there for me along the way.

Whew, I'm winded...

GW

There are many that I shoot with now, and have shot with in the past and hope to meet in the future.

But I am most thankful for having met Sergeant Jack at one of my first shoots. He showed me where to place this thing we do in the overall game of life. Come out, shoot, be safe and have fun. And if you don't leave with a smile you're doing it wrong.

God bless him, I only got to know him for short time. I had been shooting about 9 months when he had a massive heart attack. Of course, he was on the way to a shoot in Breckenridge. :huh:

FUEGO!

Archived