SASS Wire Forum

shooters who made an impression on yer life!

Montana Longhair 27261

Piedra Kid

Awful Ernie

Blastmaster

Evil Roy

Ruff Cobb

Shoot with these cowboys almost every month. Piedra and Ruff Cobb because they both shoot duelist like I do. Lotsa good advice and tips.

Finally Mt. Byron, whom I have known for too many years to calculate. He is the one who REALLY got me started.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1999 I ate lunch in a tent with Evil Roy at Hell on Wheels. We talked Colts vs Rugers, 92s vs Marlins, etc, and he was more than happy to share what he knew. I didn't know who the little girl sitting beside him was. I do now. :)

This is a tough one, because so many many folks have made me want to stay in the game, but some have touched my heart too.

Diamond Dick was one of the first to welcome me and gave me a lot of support learning the ropes.

Jailhouse Jim, because he developed into a shooting partner and it is hard for me to shoot any more unless he is around.

Ivory Jack McCloud, because he had his book and badges with him back in the day and he is my hero for all he did in the service of our country and when I hear a helicopter now, I think of him.

Everyone else I have not named that knows I care for them and love to be around them in the sport. The list is long and lengthy and I would not still be participating if it weren't for them. They know who they are.

Wow, tough question.

Hard to name names and not worry about missing someone.

All the folks at the Coyote Gulch Cowboys who welcomed me when I just went out to watch a match, loaned me guns and ammo so I could try it out, and included me in every way.

All the folks at Pawnee Station who welcomed me when I shot my first complete match. Especially G W Ryder who let me use his shotgun as I didn't yet have one, and also mentored me thru the match. Poor guy is still having to ride herd on me to keep me out of trouble.

Gateway Kid who often drives 6+ hours round trip to shoot with us on this side of the hill, and who went out of his way to bring me some primers when I was starting out and couldn't find any.

Wheelgun Willie and Badger Mountain Charlie who made my daughter and I feel welcome in Seattle when we visited and made sure to always pick up the check.

Lots of folks I've met on the wire, but I'll single out PWB, I appreciate his efforts to help us all understand the rules when they get a bit gray.

And countless others of which I'll name off a few now Kiowa Kid and Painted Filly, Bro. King, Philly Slim (gotta like anyone who shares my warped sense of humor), Blackwater, Chickasaw Bill, Buick MacKane and Calico Mary, Buck D Law and especially Sugah, Diamond Curly, Wolf Bane and Indiana Jackson, Colt Faro and Matt Black, and so many others.

Too many to mention. I will say Rowdy Bill, Annabelle, James Samuel Pike and Yukon Mike. However I would have to say Jolie the wife of The Schoharie Kid had the biggest impact on my shooting. I was shooting gunfighter at the time and she pulled me to the side and said "You stink as a gunfighter. You dress like a Classic Cowboy, why not try that"!!

Well, like they say the rest is history!! :lol:;)

As you say the list is never ending as everyone I have met and shot with have been a great help and influence on my SASS life. But to name a few that really stand out are.

My wife Phoenix Rose

Matt Masterson and wife Louisiana Lady

Non Stop , The person that taught us there are three rules to this game. Have fun, Be safe and Have fun.

Christmas Kid and wife

JD Redeye and wife

Many Many More

Initially Diablo Slim and Ruidoso. They really took me under their wing and made me feel welcome. Then the list is quite long:

T-Bone

Nuttin

Billy Boots

Blind Bob

Stormy Reinz

Anvil Al

Deacon

Gunslinger

Bent Barrel Betty

Kow Katcher

Saddle Rash

These are the guys and gals that taught me how to approach a stage, place guns, even how to pick up and lay down guns (thanks Nuttin) that helped me really begin to realize some speed. I do my best to pass on every thing that I have learned and yet at almost every match I see that I'm still learning too. As I've heard said before, I joined SASS for the shooting but stayed for the people!

There are many but here are the main ones that helped me the most:

Ain't Dunit

T-Bone

Nuttin Graceful

Billy Boots

Doc Ells

Slick McClade

Lassiter

Anvil Al

Doc Pain

As I said there are many others but these guys help get me where I am.

DC

I'm sure I could list literally hundreds over the nearly 20 years I've been doing this and I'd still be leaving many out. I'm going to name just three that epitomize everything I love about this sport:

Lassiter

Furball

Ruthless McDraw

Wow, there are so many. Most everybody I've met has been fantastic at displaying the spirit and fun that SASS is all about. For that reason I'll limit my choices to those folks who helped me the most in becoming a better cowboy shooter were:

Madd Mike

Just Ace

Creeker

Ace of Hearts

Johnny Meadows

All the folks I have known through SASS have been helpful, but looking back, there are a few that stand out for little things.

Cowhand - The first established shooter to show a particular interest in helping me and my pard as beginners.

Curl E Kaye - Cause she was just so darn nice to everyone.

Phantom - For the way he handled the PM duties on my wife's first match

Nonstop - For his even keeled approach and generally helpful demeanor.

Irish Fitz - The first person to welcome me to SASS when I showed up for my first match. I guess "What are you doing here?" counts.

Complicated Lady, Petticoat Chaser, Texita Draw, Ima Quickshot and others who have become friends on and off the firing line.

Hi Folks,

I've hesitated to post for three reasons. First, I don't want to leave anyone out. Second, I want my post to do justice to the people I name. Third, I don’t want this to be so long that no one reads it. So forgive me if my words fall short, I leave someone out, or bore you with details that are so meaningful to me. I feel like I have whole families of special people in my shooting life, for example there is my Orygun family, my Piru family, my Bakersfield family, my CVR family, my Illinois family, my Nevada family, my Convention family…They are the groups of people who made me feel welcome at their home clubs or SASS Events. All of these people have helped me to feel at home and not feel like a lonely solo shooter.

There are just some people I need to name. They are as follow.

• Anita Margarita and Jackalope Jasper, they always had faith in my abilities to be a TG.
  • Badlands Bud who was such fun to watch grow into the gentleman he is today.
  • Black Harris is my mentor and friend. Well, I thought he was before he talked me into becoming a moderator. ;)
  • Calgary Kate and Mescalero are two people I respect so much for their kindness to our troops and they are great fun to shoot with. In fact, Mescalero is one of the best Posse Marshals I’ve ever shot with. :FlagAm:
  • Coffee and Aunty Emmy are two of the most hospitable folks. I never feel alone at a match when they or their gang are around.
  • Diamond Dick was the first SASS shooter I met. If you ever met Dick, you will never forget him. What a grand character! He was always the life of any party.
  • Doc Eels, became a BFF at first sight.
  • El Lazo has been a friend for many years. It warms my heart that he always asks how my husband is doing.
  • Ellie Oakley, Shell Stuffer, and Taquila Tab loaned me guns so I could finally make that trip to the U.S. Open.
  • Frederick Jackson Turner, I could sit and listen to him talk for hours (and have) about history, politics, or shooting. His music is great and he is great fun to shoot with too. HooRah!
  • Jess Brown, my Hubby, gun and ammo boy, gun cleaner and smith, enabler... He puts the generator and 35 gallon water tank in the truck. He set up a water filling system, so at matches, all I have to do is put the hose in the trailer and flip a switch. He stays home, pet sits, gives the cat shots while I am at matches…and much more. :wub:
  • Kid Kneestone always makes me feel special and loved.
  • Lefty Longridge, I just met him last year. He is really legendary in his actions as a Match Director, mentor, and great guy to be around. He doesn't shoot one of the matches he runs to ensure that everything runs smoothly and to give others a chance to win as that match is primarily two categories, Open Men and Open Women. His attitude about creating a fun match for the shooters is amazing as are the matches.
  • Lumpy Grits because he is my friend even when I “smack him upside the head,” figuratively of course.
  • Lusty Lil is another person I just got to know last year. I feel like I have a sister now.
  • Mad Dog Jack is an inspiration to all who know him.
  • Nellie Blue was my inspiration to finally get and tow a trailer by myself.
  • PaleWolf Brunelle always puts up with my questions, although he may give me a “black star” on occasion. I think he should be on the list everyone who reads the Wire.
  • Rephil, Shotgun Boogie, and the rest of their entourage are just too much fun to be around.
  • River City Bob is in his 80s and is still shooting. He is one of the kindest people I’ve ever met and always asks about Hubby too.
  • Rowdy Yates is special to me as he’s always “got my back.”
  • Sgt. Eli and the rest of the gang at Lakewood Marshals, they made my day at their match so special.
  • Snakebite is so much fun to “horse around with” and has been another rules mentor for years. I love shooting with him and his gang!
  • Sterling Star who I competed with in my early years shooting (before my hand issues). Having a close competitor can keep you on your toes. Also, she and her husband, Fiddletown Flash, found us the property where we live today.
  • Sutter Lawman is our local “Energizer Bunny.” He works very hard to spread the CAS and WBAS word at Sacramento Valley Shooting Range, where he is now General Manager. He was instrumental in turning around the attitudes of people in other shooting disciplines about the Cowboy Shooters.
  • Sweet Violet is a costuming superstar and never has an unkind word for anyone.
  • T-Bone, Nuttin', Reno, Honey, Buffy who are a wonderful team who take efforts to ensure that everyone they encounter is treated as special.
  • Widdowmaker Hill, I hope to meet him in person someday. He has shown me so much kindness.
  • Wimpy Hank Yoho who drug me out of the abyss when I was very down, took me to matches, and is just a great friend.

I know as soon as I post this, I will think of someone else. Forgive me.

With great sincerity,

Allie Mo

Bounty Hunter

Taggart

China Camp

ol Dead Eye

Smoke Parnell

columbus d shannon

Lead Dispencer

Fredric Jackson Turner

Dang Nabbit

Doc PEE body and his lovely better half :wub:

these are folks that I have shot on the same posse with and in some cases - many times

May some of them rest in peace

There are several I respect, some from shooting with them, some from reading their post on the WIRE. Several that amaze me with their shooting ability. Several that have impressed me with their thoughtfulness for others. But the one who made the biggest impression was High Plains Sodbuster.

Most everybody in SASS has been very helpful, but the ones who stand out for me the most as far as encouragement and pressing me to stay in the game when I really didn't think I should are Blackwater, Randy St Eagle, and Buck Dodgers….Sherrif Frank Canton, I love you too..I probably would have quit had it not been for these guys and now I'm glad I didn't..Thanks Y'all! Also..Papa Dave an Branchwater Jack..

Wow, where do I start.

• Will Killagan (he got me started)
  • Alabama Coot Gibson
  • Doc Bard Parker
  • Confederate Colt (One of the best BP shooters I have shot with)
  • Iva Gun ( Withou her none of this would be possible)
  • Charlie Grey Beard ( influenced me to start shooting BP)

Cheatin'

(1st) and foremost. The Geriatric Kid, Big part of this game to me. His help with guns, reloading, shooting and wisdom.

Thanx pard for everything! The more I practice the luckier I get!! Ain't that the truth old friend....

(2nd) Trader Flint, the man who showed me this game for the first time. Thanx pard for showing me the great game of CAS.

(3rd) Lassiter, watching him shoot gunfighter made me want to shoot that style right out of the gates.

(4th) The Widder Hill, for the many great conversations we've had in the past about shooting the GF class. Thanx pard.

(5th) Because it would take me a yr to type them all I will just say..

All of my friends from.

The Greene Border Rangers (no longer operating, what a sad thing)!

The Oxford Regulators

The Crumb Horn Mountain Cowboys

The Silver Lake Bounty Hunters

The Tioga County Cowboys

As well as all of the other clubs/cowboys and girls I've had the pleasure to shoot at and with.

Thanx to SASS for all of the fun and freindships they have created with this wonderfull game.

Spades Hanlin

Bounty Hunter

Taggart

China Camp

ol Dead Eye

Smoke Parnell

columbus d shannon

Lead Dispencer

Fredric Jackson Turner

Dang Nabbit

Doc PEE body and his lovely better half :wub:

these are folks that I have shot on the same posse with and in some cases - many times

May some of them rest in peace

You mentioned two folks that I left out...and I'm sorry I did.

Taggart...what a great guy...nice to me from the start!

FJT...one of the first "Top Shooters" to lend me some good advice and a true asset to SASS.

Phantom

Furball, What a great post. It's a who's who of "The cowboy way" and the shooter's that make it possible. I didn't list you and so many others because that's the problem....there are so many others. I have been blessed to meet so many shooters in my travels. Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Florida and Tennessee hold so many cowboys and cowgirls that have touched my life in one way or another.

We are talking about the people....and that's the reason we all stay.

KK

First is Charlie Bowdre. He made me welcome at the very first match I ever shot and demonstrated the "Cowboy Way" from the first time we spoke. Still watches over me today.

Next is Will Reilly. He showed me how to play the game and have maximum fun while still competing at maximum level. He is a true friend.

One of the most important is Smokin' Joe Anderson. He made me a part of his family and he's the guy who envisioned and built Possum Trot, the most cowboy place you ever imagine. Those of you who experienced it can attest.

Blue Boy!! The oldest active shooter in S.A.S.S. to the best of anyone's knowledge. Also probably the kindest gentleman who ever jangled a set of spurs. He extended a hand to me when my own father passed. Thanks Imis for the loan of your dad!!

Whiskey Creek Johnson, Iron Maiden, Copperhead Joe, Miss Bo, Shadetree, Just Little Joe, Bitterroot Jake, Double Barrel Anderson, Just Hoss, Marshall Too Sweet, Hezekaiha Hawke, Hepsiba Hawke, Rowdy Bates. These are the folks that are the Highland Regulators of Possum Trot and now Ponderosa Pines. They've supported me and been there when I needed them, each and every one, each and every time!!

Two that are gone on up the trail. Bobcat Sparks and Longshot Logan.

The Vaqueros. Too much to say and not enough words. Thanks y'all.

The BAR3 gang, who made me family and took care of me more ways than I can count. Thanks T-Bone, Nuttin, Rango, Honey and especially Miss Ellie who with T-Bone made me a guest in their home!

Tennessee Tombstone, Widder, Korupt Karl! Teaching me the ways of the Jedi and the outlaw way as well!

Mose 'n' Bella Spencer. Showed me the road. Showed me how to survive it.

J. Mark Flint. Nobody's business but my own. One to ride the river with!

Judge 'em All Duncan, for showing me courage and for encouraging me as well. Your all heart brother, even if it is part cow!! ;):lol:

I gotta put Brother King in here too. He's promoted and supported my endeavors like almost nobody else. One of my best cheerleaders and friends.

The Saloonatics!! Grizz, Noz, UB, CM, CB CC, Bama, awwww dang.............. too many to list here. I ain't forgot the others. I just can't remember 'em all right now!!

There are several I respect, some from shooting with them, some from reading their post on the WIRE. Several that amaze me with their shooting ability. Several that have impressed me with their thoughtfulness for others. But the one who made the biggest impression was High Plains Sodbuster.

Chance,

That was a man to ride the river with, for sure. Man, I miss him.

I couldn't reply with a list of names for the same reason the Korrupt One can't. Too many and not enough room. Heroes and friends who helped and befriended me are what makes me love this game. New faces become new friends - can't wait to meet the next one!

CR

Let me add Longshot Logan to our list.

For his wonderful sense of humor, and for showing us how to make gunstocks look better than when they came from the factory, and for making the metal parts look like antiques. His instructions have allowed me to spend many enjoyable hours dressing up some of my guns.

I miss his craziness.

You bet!

Brother King. He called me up one day and said " Hey, let's start a CLASSIC COWBOY SHOOTIST AWARD PROGRAM". :)

And that started it......with Dragon Hill Dave, T-Bone Dooley, Vance Montana, Needmore Gunz, and Solicitor General.

Ghost

In CAS I guess the earliest ones were Evil Roy, Handlebar Doc and Long Hunter.

In REAL life those who taught me to shoot and enjoy it were in order: Jeff Cooper, Ken Hackathorn, and the first guy who I worked for in the field: David Scott Donelan.

In recent years the hundreds of US Military Special Operations Snipers who train here at my facility. They are the BEST of the BEST. :FlagAm:

MISS ANN

English Andy

Handsome Valentine

Wes Fargo

Rattler John

Texas Paladin

Handlebar Doc

Longhunter

Dan Nabbit

Kate & Judge

Cody Conagher

Giggles

ER & HT

Bounty Hunter

Island Girl

Ruff Cobb

Black Dawge

Chis

Brisco & Kiam Q

TX Johnny Ringo

T A Chance

Non Stop

TRO

Mo and Curly K

T-Bone and Nuttin

so many more

I have read others post and thought about the OP, it is one of those post that makes one think, especially if in SASS over a decade. Although my original list is lengthy, I gave more thought and several names came to mind of others that for whatever my personal reason made an impression on me and the CAS game, a couple of just recent year(s) such as Widder, Slick, Stone Creek, Bear Trap, Splitrail, Possum, The Cat Boys, Tame Bill, Big Horn, & Wolf Bane, then others from years past such as Trinity, Goody, FJT, Cowtown, Deaf Laws & Aimless Annie, Squaw Creek Rose, Gunzilla, Brazos Ace, Texas Jim Henry, Cole Younger, Snakebite, Capt Armstrong, Calamity, and Pecos Red.......there really is so many.

Archived