SASS Wire Forum

open top

Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943

started having over rotation with one of my open tops so I put the Pettifogger mods on it - spaced the cylinder pin and replaced the flat spring on the hand with the ruger coil spring set up. it's a bit better but still can get over rotation when using 2 hands. wondering if putting a small set screw behind the hand spring so I could increase the tension might help - any thought?

How far does the cylinder spin when you put it on half-cock and spin it? If it only goes around about once then you have plenty of spring tension. And if you do need more tension, then yes you could tap the hole and put in a setscrew but it seems like the easiest thing would be to just put in a longer or stiffer spring.

There are a variety of things that can influence over-rotation. How is the timing? Lightly hold the cylinder with one hand as you slowly cock the gun. When the bolt pops up the leading edge of the bolt notch should line up with the left side of the hammer cutout on the frame or very close to it (the picture is a conversion but it would be the same for a '72 OT):

http://www.davidscottharper.com/photos/OT_Timing.jpg

(stupid Wire system wouldn't let me post the picture in the message)

If the bolt is popping up after that, it is fairly easy to advance the timing by removing some metal from the bolt leg so it drops off the hammer cam sooner. If the bolt is popping up before that, it shouldn't cause over-rotation but you may start getting a line on the cylinder before the ramp to the notch.

Be sure the bolt spring has plenty of strength. Make sure the bolt pops up easily without rubbing the opening in the frame. Other than those things, how the bolt head fits into the notch can affect the lockup but that is harder to adjust. And if the notch is battered that can also be a factor that may need cleaning up. Worst case for that would need a new cylinder.

Archived