SASS Wire Forum

Twilight match

Attica Jack  #23953

I shot my first twilight match, last night. It was a 3 stage night shoot sponsored by Detroit Sportsmans Congress. Had a great time. It was surprising how a little darkness can cause many misses, as you can't see the sights. The match started at 5 pm. there was still some daylight left, it was 41 degrees and quite windy. At the last stage it was DARK and the flashlights were running down on battery power. It was fun and different. Thanks DSC

If you ever get the chance, go to a night BP shoot it is awsome! Its not about hitting the targets, its about flame & smoke :wub:

If you ever get the chance, go to a night BP shoot it is awsome! Its not about hitting the targets, its about flame & smoke :wub:

Saw a nightime Civil War re-enactment at a local plantation several years ago. Truly enjoyable. A twilight cowboy match sounds like a great idea, 'specially since I shoot blackpowder exclusively. :)

We at DSC have been doing a Twilight match for a couple of years. We first shot the match with the only lighting provided by candles. Pretty amazing but a lot of work trying to keep them candles lit with any wind. We have reverted to some lanterns and a few flashlight shining down range with all targets painted white. It is a challenging match but a fun evening of CAS. We usually do it around the "spring forward" and "fall back" time changes so we can start early evening and finish the last stage in complete darkness. Attica Jack shot well last night and his grandson did an amazing job finding brass in the darkness.

Thanks for the kind words and glad you had fun.

J.J. Longley

Archived