SASS Wire Forum

buying binoculars

Trigger Mike

I need a good pair that can allow me to see clear at 300 yards or better. So many for sale out there have similar magnification but vary in price but hundreds of dollars. a cheap pair 10x30 may sell for 50 and another 10x30 may sell for 300. How do I tell the difference?

TM

the larger the Objective lens , the better light transfer you are going to get , I would suggest you look at a MIN of 40 mm dia on the lens

if stand hunting , I use a reletave cheap set of Simmons 10 x 50 red line binos , I have had for 20 or so years

most of the relly good stuff , went away some years back , long story on that .

CB

What is it that you want to see clearly at 300 yds. A 223 bullet hole in a target? How many points on a deer? Just making sure it is a deer? A poachers eye color? The neighbors' wife in their upstairs bedroom at night? Did I just say that?

The answer to some of these questions will help you decide how much you need to pay for your binoculars. Why one costs more than another can depend on lens quality, prism type, the quantity and quality of lens coatings and size of the lenses. First decide your desired use, then ask questions of current users and the manufacture.

Sorry if this just adds to your confusion,(Which I understand completely)

Marlin(Been There)Buckhorn

In my experience, optical stuff is one of those things where you pretty much get what you pay for, so brand name and price are good guides to quality.

Up to a point.

My eyes can tell the difference in the image from a $50 dollar binocular and a $500 binocular, but not always between a $500 and $1000 binocular.

So I would not buy the cheap end, but probably would not spring for the most expensive. Nikon is good, so is Leupold, Bushnell, Burris.

Also, I would not buy anything without looking through it first, or trying the same model owned by a friend. The ergonomics of how they fit your hands and eyes, and the means of focusing might not be apparent from a catalog or website. Make sure you like the way they handle, or you will be buying expensive misery.

Leica would be my pick. 10x42 are popular for most hunting applications. Personally, I have always liked the 7x42 for most applications. Go to a well supplied shop and spend some time looking through the various offerings.

+1 on the Nikons - for the money they're hard to beat. I have the older monarchs so the newer model I think it's the monarch 5 is probably even better. Also the leupold. got a pair on sale a while back and they are better than my nikons plus lighter.

I collected binoculars for a while. Have a couple of Zeiss', a WWII Leitz, a US Navy 7X50 mil spec Fujinon, even a French military pair from the 1800's that has a built-in rangefinder (Guy on horse & a guy with a tall helmet with range markings for each). For hand holding, I'd suggest something like a Nikon 7X50 which is a good balance of price/power. If you use a tripod, go up to a 10 power, again Nikon is a good choice, unless you have $$$, then I prefer Zeiss, Used is a good way to buy the latter as good optics can last a long time if not damaged.

The B&L 7X50's from WWII are probably still being reissued by our Navy. If you run across a decent pair, they will do the job very well.

Buy the best you can afford, there is no substitute for good glass. A lot depends on what you're using them for as to what power you need. As said, a bigger objective lets in more light and makes things easier to see dawn to dusk. If you go much above 10 power you will want a tripod unless you buy stabilized binoc's. Anything over 10 can be hard to hold steady for long. I would like Zeiss's or Swarovsky's myself but they're out of my range. I settled for 16x50 Pentax's and have been happy for 10 years now. I use them for field glassing on a tripod, carrying it all on a pack frame. For still hunting I use a pair of BSA 10x20's around my neck on a lanyard. Cheap but very clear and excellent out to 75 yards in the brush I hunt.

I bought a pair of these Steiners several years ago, LOVE them for hunting as they are focus free. Focus the ocular lenses at 50 yards and you're good to go. Unfortunately they apparently are discontinued. Nice glassed that don't cost a fortune.

Good luck!

JHC

http://kensan3.tripod.com/catalog/i6.html

Archived