SASS Wire Forum

New 1873 Winchester by Miroku

Dungannon Gunner

Has anybody purchased the new Winchester 1873 and taken to a SASS meet? How did it run. Is the stroke already reduced. Any need to spend the money for a Cowboy tune or are the race ready from the box?

Lately, What are you guys having to pay?

Here is a quick first look video with Wolf Bane, aka MIchael Bane from the outdoor channel shows.

He let me put a few rounds thru it and it ran well though not as well as my Jimmy Spurs Marlin or Codymatic 73.

I have one of the New Winchester 1873s. The build quality is excellent, and a bit better than the Uberti, IMHO. It is short stroked from the factory. I would put in on par with a 2nd generation SS from C&I. For all but the most advanced shooter, the rifle is ready to go out of the box. For those that want more, Pioneer Gun Works has a kit and parts to take it to the next level. Mine will run 38spl with the 125 TFP, but is really happiest with 357.

I really like it, and the price point is about the same - maybe less - than the Uberti. :)

A little spring work is about all that is needed. The lever/trigger block safety is a little stiff and the hammer spring can be adjusted to suit the individual. Lever throw is only about 1/2 inch more than my 93 that was done by Longhunter.

Balckfoot

We got one in the shop it was case hardened. Absolutely gorgeous wood. Very smooth action would not be hard to get it to run fast. Sold it to a local cowboy expect to see it out action soon.

Really wanted to open it up and take a look inside.

Was down at Ken Griner's shop (Griner Gun Works) yesterday dropping of a couple of guns for some work and he had one. Short stroked and all slicked up. Looked and felt really nice.

That said......it just looked a little plain jane to me when compared to my Ubertis. Round barrel, no case hardening and no checkering. Wood was real plain, but liked the finish. I'll bet winchester will start to dress it up a little in the future.

Demand seems high for these rifles. Auctions for them on Gunbroker don't last long since someone buys them at the "Buy Now" price before the auction ends. It's a sellers market for them right now.

I'll bet winchester will start to dress it up a little in the future.

Looks like they have, now for some checkering, octogon barrel and .44.40. :wub:

I don't have one but I have a pard who does and he likes it.

I picked up Cimarron Brush Popper at This week at Rancho Cordova Guns & Ammo ( 916-635-7214) up in Sacramento and they have 1 or 2 Winchesters on the shelf along with some more Cimarron's ..Both actions were about the same good for a non cowboy shooter but for us we would want them both slicked up ...both around the same price ...I went with Cimarron because there are more parts out there for them and I liked the little Brush Popper a bit better......As soon as I get out of California impound its going to Cowboy & Indians for a action job, short stroke and a big front site ..: :)

My daughter (Kaya) wants one real bad. Thinking on getting me one and letting her look at it sometimes. If she gets one I'll get beat every month an that just aint right.....

My daughter (Kaya) wants one real bad. Thinking on getting me one and letting her look at it sometimes. If she gets one I'll get beat every month an that just aint right.....

I had mine at paradise pass this summer. I'd a let her shoot it so she could really put the pressure on you.

Archived