SASS Wire Forum

For all a you science fiction fans....

Carlos Murphy # 873

I highly recomend the new movie GRAVITY staring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.

I thought it was great, very well done and I just may go see it again.

Carlos Murphy

Anybody seen any a them dang redheads around? :wub:

Keep off my lawn! :angry:

Absolutely, see it in 3-D! You may want to brace your head against the back of your seat...so you don't get whiplash! :o Also, don't try any of the maneuvers at home...or aboard a space station! ;)

Ad LEO! Ad Luna! Ad Ares! AD ASTRA!

(To Low Earth Orbit! To the Moon! To Mars! To the stars!)

The lack of physics was disturbing. Ballistic objects with precisely the same orbit but at wildly greater velocity? Argghhhhh.

It's entertainment, I know and care little about physics and as for ballistics, I manage to hit our SASS targets (slowly) most of the time.

The lack of physics was disturbing. Ballistic objects with precisely the same orbit but at wildly greater velocity? Argghhhhh.

Now lets not get all sciencey about it, after all its just good entertainmemt.

We do it all the time with Westerns. Wrong guns, too many shots, landscape not where it says, non-period clothes, etc.

If you know the science, it's hard NOT to notice that it's wrong. Personally, I STILL get annoyed when they show things in space making sounds.

Why not just do it right. It doesn't take that much effort. Check out the "Big Bang Theory" on CBS. They have a Physicist as a full time consultant just for that purpose.

SCG

That was one of the first movies I've seen in a long time that didn't have, sex, violence or profanity and I enjoyed it. Goodness gracious what's happening to me??? :wacko: Rye

To quote Darth Vader... "I find your lack of faith disturbing!" ;)

Gravity is a great SF movie! The physics are correct. The debris they encounter is either going down or up depending on orbital speed. I was a heavy SF reader for most of my life.

Next movie I see will be "Enders Game."

The O'Meara Himself

Yes, if the debris field and the craft were in the same orbits they would not intersect, even though they were at the same altitude, as they would be traveling at the same velocity. If the debris was moving at a different velocity it would move to a higher or lower orbit so its velocity and gravity would balance each other out. However, the debris could be traveling at the same velocity but in a different orbital trajectory at which would result in their orbits intersecting. That said, speeding up or slowing down the space station would have moved it above or below the debris field.

I saw it on the regular screen. Don't. Half the movie, if not more, is the images of space and the special effects. No 3D or IMAX and it goes flat. in more ways than one.

Archived