SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighters can't be different?

Jimmy Frisco

No rule against it so it would be legal. On the other hand no reason to do it so no need for such a rule.

Does this put the gunfighter at a disadvantage? Only hypothetically.

The way I understand it the gunfighter in the OP shot it wrong because he shot it in a way that although technically following the stage writers description of " with each pistol" he should have considered it first 5 second 5 and he got a P because anyone shooting one pistol at a time could not have shot the scenario that way. Completely understandable! The problem as I see it is if a shooter "could" draw, shoot one, holster, change guns and repeat this for 10 rounds intentionaly without penalty (wether or not anyone would is irrevelant) then the gunfighter in the OP didn't shoot in a manner unavailable to all shooters, just in a way that was not a smart choice for anyone but a gunfighter. Now if everyone has the same rule about intentionally holstering to then draw and reshoot that Gunfighters have then it would have been a P, if not then....?

Butch

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! say after me,,,, first 5 shots, second 5 shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! say that 1000 times!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

The way I understand it the gunfighter in the OP shot it wrong because he shot it in a way that although technically following the stage writers description of " with each pistol" he should have considered it first 5 second 5 and he got a P because anyone shooting one pistol at a time could not have shot the scenario that way. Completely understandable! The problem as I see it is if a shooter "could" draw, shoot one, holster, change guns and repeat this for 10 rounds intentionaly without penalty (wether or not anyone would is irrevelant) then the gunfighter in the OP didn't shoot in a manner unavailable to all shooters, just in a way that was not a smart choice for anyone but a gunfighter. Now if everyone has the same rule about intentionally holstering to then draw and reshoot that Gunfighters have then it would have been a P, if not then....?

Butch

Ahhh - whut CC said. We gots enuff problums without makin' up hypothetical rules!!!!!

CR

Warning!! Warning!! Will Robenson, Intruder Alert!! Intruder Alert!! Activating force shield....stand back Will Robenson!! :ph34r:

hypotheticaly, if a pig flew into a tree in the forest and nobody was around?????

what say you folks?

Yep, makes ya wonder.......how far is it from New York to the sliding board?? :huh:

Whar's my darn Palerider loads when I needz um!!!!

Thinkin' the Match Director's Guide needs to be updated. The sample stage descriptions in the appendix state "Draw first pistol...draw second pistol".

Thinkin' the Match Director's Guide needs to be updated. The sample stage descriptions in the appendix state "Draw first pistol...draw second pistol".

Read post #45

Read post #45

I've read every post in this thread.

Post 45 doesn't refernce the Match Director's Guide. All SASS materials should read the same. You shouldn't give examples in one publication stating "with first/second revolver" and in another publication contradict that with how to interpret it if you're shooting GF. How many times in this thread has it been stated: "It was poor stage writing. As stated before "first revolver" needs to stop being used and replaced with "first five shots."?

Working on getting that stage example edited or REMOVED from the MD Guide.

There are couple of "issues" with that one that are prime examples of poor stage instructions.

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

PWB

I've read every post in this thread.

Post 45 doesn't refernce the Match Director's Guide. All SASS materials should read the same. You shouldn't give examples in one publication stating "with first/second revolver" and in another publication contradict that with how to interpret it if you're shooting GF. How many times in this thread has it been stated: "It was poor stage writing. As stated before "first revolver" needs to stop being used and replaced with "first five shots."?

By the time you'e a match director, you should be familiar with the rules, both as stated and as practiced. While it's a good idea to incorporate the same language, there are really relatively few who either do not, or refuse to understand the principles of the gunfighter interpretation. It has been clarified, and now codified, but there will still be stages written with the language referring to "each" or "first, then second" pistol. Old habits die hard.

I'm really not sure what the fuss is, especially now that Palewolf has spoken. It's not a difficult concept, but no amount of language will un-confuse the spotter who can't get it in his head. If you're one of those, please hand off the flag when I'm shooting.

CR

"With pistols shoot two 1-1-1-2 sweeps on the four pistol targets", example......(P1-P2-P3-P4,P4......P1-P2-P3-P4,P4) Ta Daaaaa :D

As a GF I might have shot it (P1-P2-P3-P4,P4,P4,P4-P3-P2-P1) ;)

• When a stage calls for 10 revolver rounds in a single sequence or the use of only one revolver for the stage, the Gunfighter may draw both revolvers and engage the targets. The Gunfighter shall shoot the targets in exactly the same sequence as prescribed in the stage scenario.

Here's a few examples of some stages I've written.No where does it ever mention first pistol...second pistol...or holster....or make rifle safe on table X, all this stuff is in the rules and in the Stage Conventions. See note at bottom, sweeps may go in either direction, gives all categories and left handers the chance to plan which way to shoot it to better set up their transistions. Good Luck :)

When ready say the line “You looking for trouble??” At the beep, with shotgun shoot the four KDs. With rifle shoot two 2-1-2 sweeps (R1,R1-R2-R3,R3—R1,R1-R2-R3,R3). Move to table 1, with pistols shoot two 2-1-2 sweeps.

When ready say the line “He’s the Peso Kid” At the beep with rifle shoot two Idaho shuffles (R1-R3-R1-R2-R3—R1-R3-R1-R2-R3). Reload one round and shoot the center target (R2), or hit the bonus for a 5sec bonus, a miss is a miss. With shotgun shoot the four KDs. Move to table 1, with pistols repeat the rifle sequence (P1-P3-P1-P2-P3—P1-P3-P1-P2-P3).

When ready say the line “I came to kill you” At the beep, with rifle shoot a double tap (outsideinside) Ozark sweep (R1,R1-R5,R5-R2,R2-R4,R4-R3,R3). With shotgun shoot (any order) the four KD targets and hit the popper to release the clay bird. A hit on the bird is a 5sec bonus, a miss is not a miss. Failure to engage the bird will be scored as a miss. Move to position 2, with pistols repeat rifle sequence (P1,P1-P5,P5-P2,P2-P4,P4-P3,P3).

Note; sweeps may go in either direction. Nevada sweep from either end.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

By the time you'e a match director, you should be familiar with the rules, both as stated and as practiced. While it's a good idea to incorporate the same language, there are really relatively few who either do not, or refuse to understand the principles of the gunfighter interpretation. It has been clarified, and now codified, but there will still be stages written with the language referring to "each" or "first, then second" pistol. Old habits die hard.

I'm really not sure what the fuss is, especially now that Palewolf has spoken. It's not a difficult concept, but no amount of language will un-confuse the spotter who can't get it in his head. If you're one of those, please hand off the flag when I'm shooting.

CR

When you show up to shoot, you should be familiar with the rules. Not an expert, but you should have looked through the shooters handbook, and maybe even the RO1 handbook. And maybe, if you're really interested in learning how the whole operation flows, you'll look at the Match Director's Guide. And the language/terminology should be consistent.

I'm not referring to spotting - I'm talking about shooting and in essence proper stage writing.

Old habits die hard - true, but if a match director is not doing something to the best of their ability - learning to change and be better - maybe that match director should hand off and allow someone else that wants to do it better step up.

When you show up to shoot, you should be familiar with the rules. Not an expert, but you should have looked through the shooters handbook, and maybe even the RO1 handbook. And maybe, if you're really interested in learning how the whole operation flows, you'll look at the Match Director's Guide. And the language/terminology should be consistent.

I'm not referring to spotting - I'm talking about shooting and in essence proper stage writing.

Old habits die hard - true, but if a match director is not doing something to the best of their ability - learning to change and be better - maybe that match director should hand off and allow someone else that wants to do it better step up.

Glad our match director shoots gunfighter.

Archived