SASS Wire Forum

Suppressors

Come On Christmas

I was at the pistol range today and noticed two handgun shooters shooting silenced weapons. One was a 12 year old. Are the Faux Suppressors not so faux after all? Wink Wink

It all depends where you are. Many states allow supressors. All you need to do is pay the $500 federal Tax per suppressor, and get the OK from your local constabulary.

It all depends where you are. Many states allow supressors. All you need to do is pay the $500 federal Tax per suppressor, and get the OK from your local constabulary.

It's been 200 since 1934.

Did they raise it?

WRONG........

$200.00 since 1934.

Same for a NFA firearm.

BTW, a suppressor does NOT fall under NFA weapons.

LG

How do you figure?

Fill out the same piece of paper (Form 4). Get the same fingerprints (2 sets), pictures (2 of 'em), chief-cop sign-off. Send it all and the same 200-dollar check to the same address. They do the same background check on you. Can't take delivery of the silencer until you get approval from the ATF. Have to show your paperwork to any ATF agent that wants to see it.

Damn sure sounds like NFA to me.

Ooops, Sorry guys, I was going from memory. These days, that isn't nearly as reliable as it was 40 years ago.

How do you figure?

Fill out the same piece of paper (Form 4). Get the same fingerprints (2 sets), pictures (2 of 'em), chief-cop sign-off. Send it all and the same 200-dollar check to the same address. They do the same background check on you. Can't take delivery of the silencer until you get approval from the ATF. Have to show your paperwork to any ATF agent that wants to see it.

Damn sure sounds like NFA to me.

Por-wording on my part.

Generally, takes less time for a suppressor than a full on class 3 weapon.

Check out some of the sub-gun forums for info on this.

LG

More time? Less time? I don't think it really makes a difference

My first machine gun took eleven months. My silenced Ruger took 13 months. My last machine gun took five weeks.

The first two, Slick Willie - anti-gun jerk - was President. The last one - George Bush. Is that the reason for the time difference?

Hmmmm. Could be.

Yeah. The government, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that ANY attempt to mechanically quieten the report of a firearm is a silencer. Whether it works or not.

You seen on TV or in a movie, where someone sticks a potato on the end of the gun, as an "impromptu silencer"? I've been told that that don't work. But if you tried, and got caught trying, that's "possession of an unlicensed NFA item", and can get you ten years in the Federal lockup and a quarter million dollar fine.

So them fake silencers they make for the semi-auto MACs, and things of that nature? Yeah, they're real fakes. They don't reduce the sound any. If they did, the folks making them would be guilty of MAKING said unlicensed NFA item, and each one would be good for that ten years in the hoosegow and that quarter-million dollars.

sooooo, at the risk of sounding stupid, whats the advantage of a supressor to the average Joe shooting at the range? is it just the "cool" factor? Heck I like the boom! I asked one guy who is in the process of getting his permit, he said it was because the govmint wanted the tax $. I kind of figured @ $200 there aint enough supressors to tax to make any impact on the budget, probably barely covers the cost of the associated paperwork.

If I've got a silencer, I can shoot without ear protection. I can talk to people standing there watching. People can watch without ear protection.

I can shoot in my backyard without the neighbors calling the cops.

I can shoot rats in the barn without making the hens quit laying.

The whole NFA was, supposedly, to fight the "motorized bandits". They would outlaw the guns that Dillinger and Bonnie-n-Clyde used to rob banks. Machine guns. Short rifles. Short shotguns. Pistols.

It was explained to the morons that came up with this law that if they attempted to outlaw pistols, the THIRD American Revolution would start. So they took them off the list.

Then it was explained that, according to the Constitution, they could NOT outlaw any guns. So instead of making hem illegal, they put an egregious tax on them. 200 dollars, which was about six-months pay for a regular "working man"..

Then, just before the law went to Congress, game wardens got into it, and said that, since it was The Depression, and people did not have money to buy food, they were afraid that poaching would become more prevalent, and silencers would allow poaching to be done more safely.

So they added silencers to the list. It was never about crime, with them. Bank robbers did not use them. It was never about "gangsters" or "professional assassins". It was about poaching.

As for the "200 dollars probably jsut about pays for the background check", STRIKE DOWN THE LAW AND THEN THERE WON'T NEED TO BE A BACKGROUND CHECK.

Ooooooo - there's a thought.

Archived