SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch

Attica Jack  #23953

At our club you can use any handgun from that time period for Wild Bunch. Luger, Colt and Smith & Wesson double action revolvers, Webley revolvers. Still have to use lead ammo. We have one cowboy that has a 1911 in 38spl. I did not know that they even made one until I saw his. It's nice to see some of those old guns being used for match.

Cheatin'

The one Wild Bunch shoot I went to had similar rules. They also required a full size rifle and allowed any old shotgun (including Browning Auto 5s).

I shot my Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20, my Winchester 1894 in 30-30, and my stoeger SXS. Great match, wish more clubs would embrace similar rules.

The one Wild Bunch shoot I went to had similar rules. They also required a full size rifle and allowed any old shotgun (including Browning Auto 5s).

I shot my Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20, my Winchester 1894 in 30-30, and my stoeger SXS. Great match, wish more clubs would embrace similar rules.

The downside to allowing various weapons outside WBAS rules is it may confuse some shooters who think this is WBAS (and SASS) aren't "run what you brung."

Local clubs can do whetever they want and if the members like it, there's nothing wrong with it, provided the members understand that it's not WBAS. I'd hate to see someone go to an actual WBAS match only find they can't shoot a revolver, rifle caliber ammo and a SxS. It's important shooters know the difference.

One of the local clubs gets around that by calling their match "Pike" instead of "Wild Bunch". It works well and everyone knows it's a local event only.

Have fun!

I have cratered 3 Chinchesters trying to stuff 6 2.75 inch shells in them. You can stuff 'em in there but they do not like it and lots of times lock up when you go to try to shoot them out. Stage one 1st annual TX State WBAS match my nearly new IAC coach gun locked up solid. 6 misses. Even Squibber said the gun was a parts gun only after that.

After that I learned the one 2.5 inch B&P trick. And to use original Winchesters. And here lately more and more M12s.

But I dearly learned my lesson and will never try to stick 6 2.75 inch shells into any original or chinee 97. Some day I may have to give ole WBT 30 bucks for the kit but not until I have real feeding problems. But the real problem to me remains stage writing insisting on loading 6 when it would be just as easy and fun to write it for 5. Just the way I feel about. YMMV.

Some 97s like the Aguila mini shells. Others not so much and they tend to flop up and around backwards.

They are way too expensive and hard to find.

The 2.5 B&Ps have been out of stock for a while. Hopefully a boat load will come in before I run out.

If I have to I still remember how to load one over the top from the decade that I used 97s exclusively in CAS.

Archived