SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch

Attica Jack  #23953

I have been thinking about trying out Wild Bunch. I have the guns, and can make due with the leather goods for now. But, I have a question? Why are some of the shotgun stages designed to be shot with 6 rounds, when most 97's only hold 5? I have an IAC and a Winchester and they both only hold 5 rounds.

See the new CC and Larsens article about turning your 97 into a six shooter. Very informative.

The '97 was designed around a shorter shotgun shell and originally held 6. The shells now are slightly longer so they hold 5. Get a kit and modify your shotgun. It includes a new spring which you probably need any way and a new follower. Or you can get the shorter shells. Capt Baylors Wild Bunch for Dummies web topic has the link. Or, get a model 12 which holds 6.

The '97 was designed around a shorter shotgun shell and originally held 6. The shells now are slightly longer so they hold 5. Get a kit and modify your shotgun. It includes a new spring which you probably need any way and a new follower. Or you can get the shorter shells. Capt Baylors Wild Bunch for Dummies web topic has the link. Or, get a model 12 which holds 6.

+1 :)

I know I can get a kit or send my 97's out to a gun smith to have them altered to hold 6 rounds, but you are missing my point. Why would the stage be designed for 6 rounds in the first place. It would be like having a CAS pistol stage designed, shoot 5 with your pistol, then do a complete reload of 5 rounds and shoot the pistol again, the Scholfields would probably have and advantage on that stage. I am not complaining, just trying to get the reason for a 6 round shotgun stage, a 7 or 8 round stage would kind of even the playing field some.

Why would someone bring a knife to a gunfight?

A good friend of mine used to say that when your only tool is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.

I think a better question to ask is why do we only load 5 in a magazine that was designed to hold seven.

Not to sound harsh, but...If you know that WB is played in your area with loading 6 in the shotgun, then I would think that you would want to shoot with equipment that allows you to do just that, play up to the level of everyone else, and not try to bring everyone else down to your level. Both 'even the playing field.' Just that one ups the standard instead of bringing it down.

My guess is that most folks could load 6 when WBAS began so they went with 6. Re Branchwater Jack above whose '97 will hold 6 without modification. Then the kits came along so that 6 shot shells of any brand could be loaded.

Branchwater Jack said the same thing as I was typing, so ditto Jack. WBAS shooters are fond of saying that Wild Bunch is not CAS with a 1911. If it was really different from CAS then they would load 7 rounds in their 7 round magazine. But that topic has become a dead horse on the WBAS Wire and generates more heat than light.

The original follower in my Winchester 97 was 2 inches long. It had 2 ribs on it to keep it centered in the tube, 90% of the follower was smaller than tube diameter. I ordered a new follower, which I cut the rear off of between the 2 ribs, then shortened the spring 2 turns. The gun will now hold 6.

If you will just trim the stock mag spring so that only 3 inches sticks out of the tube (uncompressed) you can most likely load 6. None of my 97 clones needed a kit.

Come shoot, and the fun will override the concerns! In other words, don't ask why, ask where and when!

Good luck, GJ

My intent was not to bring anyone down to my level, I just wanted to question the 6 shot stage vs the 5 shot stage. I have gone on the WB page and they talk about installing a 6 shot kit, but didn't provide any other info/purchase address. Shooting 6 vs 5 would be more fun for sure, shoot a street sweeper if you want to have lots of fun, with a 12 ga.

Five standard length shotgun shells 2 3/4 inch.

One 2 1/2 inch shotgun shell (can be found on many internet sites).

Then six fits into any standard '97 magazine tube, without modification.

Used this 'fix' for a few years now. BNW.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again....if'n we find ourselves at the same shoot somewhere down the round where a stage requires six, yours won't hold six, and you would like to borrow mine in order to do so, all you have to do is ask.

The answer is that there is NO good reason for so many stage writers to keep insisting on 6 sg. Five is just as much fun and no one has to worry about cratering their original or Norinco trying to stuff 6 in a mag JMB designed to hold 5. It's crazy.

Everyone is afraid to let me write stages because they know the Mayhem that would ensue. Rest assured that if I did no stage would require more than 5 in the initial load. Now we may be loading a few or many more on the clock and running (or shuffling) from point to point but there is no sense in the initial load out to be 6.

Instead of investing time effort and money in to a "fix" I just load five AAs and one B&P 2.5" shell at the lt. Works fine.

Five standard length shotgun shells 2 3/4 inch.

One 2 1/2 inch shotgun shell (can be found on many internet sites).

Then six fits into any standard '97 magazine tube, without modification.

Used this 'fix' for a few years now. BNW.

Years back before SASS decided to sanction WB, a local club who's intention was more on FUN allowed just about anything at a WB match. I used to shoot my Mauser Broom Handle with the shoulder stock on stages that had only 9 rifle for example.

Anyway, I found Agueila (spellng?) mini shells. I could load up at least 9 of them in the mag tube. The stage instruction only said to "stoke" the shotgun mag. Never said how many. LOL Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But it was fun.

Speaking about shooting the broomhandle with shoulder stock reminded me when Wild Bunch was first discussed i had the impression that we were going to be able to shoot Mauser Broomhandles, Lugers, double action revolvers, or just about any old pistols associated with that time period. It has developed into a 45 auto speed match. I like shooting period but it would have been fun to see everyones old guns being shot. Irish Pat

Speaking about shooting the broomhandle with shoulder stock reminded me when Wild Bunch was first discussed i had the impression that we were going to be able to shoot Mauser Broomhandles, Lugers, double action revolvers, or just about any old pistols associated with that time period. It has developed into a 45 auto speed match. I like shooting period but it would have been fun to see everyones old guns being shot. Irish Pat

I agree, some variety would make Wild Bunch even better!

At our club you can use any handgun from that time period for Wild Bunch. Luger, Colt and Smith & Wesson double action revolvers, Webley revolvers. Still have to use lead ammo. We have one cowboy that has a 1911 in 38spl. I did not know that they even made one until I saw his. It's nice to see some of those old guns being used for match.

Cheatin'

What a huge non-issue! Many 97's will hold six rounds as is, still more will hold six with a little judicious trimming of spring or follower, the others are fixed with a $30 spring and follower. What other gun mod is that cheap?

As far as five rounds versus six, more shooting is always better.

What a huge non-issue! Many 97's will hold six rounds as is, still more will hold six with a little judicious trimming of spring or follower, the others are fixed with a $30 spring and follower. What other gun mod is that cheap?

As far as five rounds versus six, more shooting is always better.

Howdy

A cheaper mod is to grind off a 1/8 inch off the back of the follower, flair it a little for easy access for the spring. Next start cutting a half of a curl at a time. Keep checking after each cut.

Nawlins

Sure shooting more is more fun...with the 1911. Which is why we should be loading 7 in the mags not 5. Oh I got plenty mags but JMB designed the ammunition feeding device to hold 7 not 5.

He designed the mag of the 97 to hold 5 and that is plenty fun. NO need to stoke 6. Stoking 6 is just not necessary. But it is another reason for me to keep moving to the M12 and saving the ole 97s.

I have 3 Chinchesters and they will all hold 6 factory loads out of the box and were I shoot WB most stages are 20 rounds many of the stages you move with the 1911 and I look at the 5 round thing as mag changes are just part of the game

Archived