SASS Wire Forum

Blue Jeans or not

Ace_of_Hearts

Tex can have an opinion, we don't have to agree. The TG's will never approve a blue jeans ban because they know it will kill the sport, Tex not so much. Should the WB decree a ban I doubt it will be enforced.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blue Jeans and Alan "Rocky" Lane, something you may not have known? It was written in Alan Lanes contract that only he, and no other star, or characters in his movies were allowed to wear "blue jeans". As to wearing them in CAS, they been worn by real and reel cowboys. MT

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7oyA.HRSpCQAi6EPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnRlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=12no3d5st/EXP=1383426304/**http%3a//www.accomics.com/westernarticles/western-profile-rocky-lane/

Tex's opposition to certain jeans is ridiculous. I've been doing my own protest and wearing jeans (which I do occasionally anyway) I wear cowboy shirts and a vest, nice boots a pocket watch but jeans now in protest of someone making rules and then somehow not going along with them. Hey are Faded Glorys from Wal Mart okay??? :lol:

Rye

When I first started.. I wore the old style pants with all the button flys and suspenders...

Ya don't want ta wait too long to go to the outhouse... gotta have time on yer side :blink:

Takes a while ta get yer shotgun belt off.. Gunrig off.. and to get them buttons undone.. :wacko:

'Yeah.. I know.. It's kinda crude but realistic... and they work.. :)

I did the very same thing with I started

then I bought wranglers, cut the back pockets and belt loops off

now I wear wranglers with the pockets and belt loops, but I never wear the blue ones

cuz I would look like everyone else iffen I did

cant have that, no way hose-a, nott-a, nope, cant have it

I have never considered dressing cowboy as being a costume, never, notta, ooops dont get me going again

wearin a suit and tie is a costume for me, yup, yes sir eeeeeee

:ph34r::lol::ph34r:

I sure wish that this years TG discussion (at Branson), about jeans would be tell-E-vised on cspan

The Wild Bunch can declare jeans illegal at any time. It does not require a vote of the TGs. If such a ruling is made, I predict it will be the beginning of the end of SASS as we know it. SASS membership is already on the decline. Clubs can easily drop SASS affiliation and then allow members to wear blue jeans. Attendance at many shoots is already on the decline for many reasons. Preventing folks from wearing blue jeans will hasten the decline. Now understand what I mean by blue jeans. Plain blue jeans, no fancy stiching, no fancy glitter, etc. For whatever reason Tex and possibly other members of the Wild Bunch have gotten a bee in their bonnet over blue jeans, have no idea why, they have been part of the sport since the beginning. Seems like the Wild Bunch/TGs could have a lot more fruitful discussion items at the Convention that blue jeans. How about "how to increase SASS membership", or "how to increase the number of younger shooters in our sport", or "how to maintain members", or how we can combine three rule books into one", or "why we have those silly gun restrictions like no Marlins in some categories and no 73s in others", or how to reduce the impacts of lead on our ranges", or "why SASS has never implemented the many times promised rule example web pages, i.e. the many make the call examples", etc.

Just saw some real cowboys pushing cows down off the mountain yesterday, they were wearing Wrangler blue jeans. Rancher that owns the 10 section ranch across from our house wears Wranglers daily, I'd have to say he's a cowboy. My dress pants are my newest Wranglers. I can understand removing the Wrangler label, however should we have to remove the Wahmaker label also? Writing this as I sit here wearing a pair of Wranglers. I don't wear blue jeans to shoot.

One would think with the decreasing numbers of shooters Tex would welcome all that show up regardless of type of pants.

Assassin

We don't need any clothing police that take the issue to a point where you can't wear an item that was clearly available in the era in which we shoot and in a game that was designed to be fun and enjoyed by all. I didn't read the article but maybe he is talking about designer jeans with all the trimmings. Some big guys can't find clothing that is available for skinny guys. If you want to participate in Costume Contests then I suggest you only wear period correct approved clothing and your clothing should be verified prior to the award being issued. But wearing jeans does not make a person shoot faster or more accurately......I seen many, many, equipment deviations allowed at major matches because this shooter of that had a certain situation to overcome, while I personally don't have a problem with making accommodations for any shooter, I'm not sure that happened back in the old west. I do see many situations where if allowed an inch some folks will take a mile, so the powers that be have a difficult job to keep issues in check. My two cents.

When I first started.. I wore the old style pants with all the button flys and suspenders...

Ya don't want ta wait too long to go to the outhouse... gotta have time on yer side :blink:

Takes a while ta get yer shotgun belt off.. Gunrig off.. and to get them buttons undone.. :wacko:

Over the years... I've grown a little...

Old west pants wouldn't fit anymore...

Let's see.. :mellow: spend $35 ta $45.00 for the new size pants

and then take to a tailor and spend $5 - $8 ta have them hemmed..

I went and bought about 4 pair of Wranglers... different colors..

I cut off the loops.. Removed the big ol' tag on the waistband in the back.. Installed suspender buttons..

Wow... I've now got 2 back pockets and a zipper...

That's what I wear...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' no panic anymore on the way to the outhouse..

'Yeah.. I know.. It's kinda crude but realistic... and they work.. :)

I did the exact same thing Rance! I lift weights a lot for PT and my thighs don't like those straight pants. I even ripped out a pair trying to wear them at a shoot...right before awards! :o

I have tried to stay out of this confusion but it is no longer possible with the latest article in the Chronicle.

Blue Jeans were invented in 1873 and quickly became the clothing of choice for the working man.

Please express to me what is the objection, if any, to cowboy shooters wearing Blue Jeans?

I just don't get understand the objection.

Ace

Howdy Ace, didn't we just do this?? :huh: .....http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211536

Or is this a new one from this month?? :wacko: If it's a new one you've broken the Dirftwood Johnson rule #1.....No starting topics from the CC on the wire untill DJ has received his copy, mine usually comes a day before or after his. If this is new one please post the entire editorial so we can all know who, what, where, and why before we reply. ;)

DJ rule #2......it's not" period correct".............it's "historically accurate". And that is correct, period. :o:D:lol: Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I have to give him his props. Before, there was no way that I cold get my head around the argument that modern Wrangler jeans are bad, but modern Levi jeans are not. They are both modern cowboy jeans, just different manufactures.

Now, he is making a better, more sound argument. No jeans at all, except for B-Western dress in the B-Western category.

I still disagree with the idea in the first place. The rules still allow all shooters to dress in b-Western dress. Now, you want to only allow that dress in the category. So, the jeans are ok, you just need to shoot in one category.

The next progression will be to ban classic cowboy dress unless you are shooting in the classic cowboy category.

While I still do not agree with any of this, I am thankful that he is starting to make a valid argument without contradiction and bias.

I wear levi jeans -- Black levi jeans because that's what fits me best -- having short legs. The "basic" black also goes with all my outfits.

I don't understant the punitive angle to this. If you want more and better costumes, then open up another costume category -- like Military or Riverboat Gambler.

Now I'll go running for cover by suggesting another category. But seriously, if Tex wants more and better costumes why not open up another costume category. Look at the popularity of CC and B Western.

Just saying. It seems the carrot approach is always better than the stick.

Conejo.

You guys just don't get it. Tex has to write something for every CC and he is tired and running out of ideas. So ever now and then he throws out a grenade to shake things up. If he was really serious he would be on here stating his case. :)

I've got a new topic he could beat the drum for. It could also accomplish something positive.....Shooters controlling the muzzle of their shotguns and Straight up in the air is a violation!

Ringer

You guys just don't get it. Tex has to write something for every CC and he is tired and running out of ideas. So ever now and then he throws out a grenade to shake things up. If he was really serious he would be on here stating his case. :)

No. He has got it on the TG agenda for the convention. And was told by some TG's it was a hot topic in the TG meeting

here at the Regional.

Wants them gone.

I think, he thinks the only ones that wore jeans was miners. :wacko::blink:

He needs to talk with Wolf Bane about what he has found in his research.

Jeans was worn more by cowboys back then that what most think.

I've got a new topic he could beat the drum for. It could also accomplish something positive.....Shooters controlling the muzzle of their shotguns and Straight up in the air is a violation!

Ringer

Amen to that one Lead Ringer...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' do we need a new subject?

HEY!!!

Jefro has it right. Apparently some of you newbies are not aware of the long standing Wire Rule that nobody gets to start arguing about something in the Chronicle until I get my copy!!!

How the heck are we supposed to know what you are talking about? Did Tex post another dumb editorial? Has somebody posted a reply to his last dumb editorial? What the heck are we talking about here?

For the record, I am in complete agreement that banning jeans would be a dumb idea. I already talk to lots of shooters who don't want to try CAS because they think you have to spend a lot of money on the costume.

YES!!!, Jeans, a long sleeved western shirt and leather shoes or boots have long been recognized as acceptable wear, whether it says so in the handbook or not.

The only thing not allowed is:

Modern shooting gloves.
Short sleeve shirts (Male competitors only)
Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors.
Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys).
Designer jeans
Ball caps
All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed.
Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accouterments.
The displaying of manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel. Manufacturer’s
labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable.
That's it, leave it alone.
And I'll let you all know when my Chronicle shows up so you can argue about it then.

Would there be any reason to intentionally sabotage the membership rolls? Possibly as a way to decrease the net worth of SASS? I've speculated on how ownership would transition once the Wild Bunch step aside. Could be a sweetheart deal is in the works. It would be money out of all of their pockets but stranger things have happened before in the business world.

Al,

Where there any miners in the old west?

If so, could a person dress like one at a SASS competition?

Was told to me that the answer was that if you have on jeans. That you should be dressed as a miner.

And you better have a pick and shovel on your cart. :blink:

I have seen more jeans (wranglers) at this match than I ever remember seeing.

Think some are like me and wore them in protest.

If all the ladies wore jeans would be ok with me.Nothing make jeans look as good as a LADY in them.

Read it all here:

http://www.sopdigitaledition.com/thecowboychronicle

You are probably going to look at the letters to the editor section...

He seems to have a really bug about Wranglers. Heck. They are not designer jeans.

Think he is really starting to lose touch with the shooters that pays the bills.

No. He has got it on the TG agenda for the convention. And was told by some TG's it was a hot topic in the TG meeting

here at the Regional.

Wants them gone.

I think, he thinks the only ones that wore jeans was miners. :wacko::blink:

He needs to talk with Wolf Bane about what he has found in his research.

Jeans was worn more by cowboys back then that what most think.

O.K. I think this is easily solved. I would like to see a Miner 49'r category on the agenda for the convention. The only rule for the category would be the competitor has to wear Blue Jeans.

Ringer

And a Pick & Shovel, like BW Jack said:)

Read it all here:

http://www.sopdigita...cowboychronicle

No, I ain't gonna read it there.

The Rule is, No Commenting on Stuff in the Chronicle until I Get My Copy.

Very simple rule.

Read it all here:

http://www.sopdigitaledition.com/thecowboychronicle

Thanks Jack. Ok now I've had a chance to read it, and the answer is......NO,,,,, and,,,,,,,,,NO ;) Next shooter. Good Luck :)

"Should the minumum costume standards be increased? Should blue jeans be disallowed (except in B-Western)?"

As Radar O'Riley once said........"that is all"

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I wear jeans, I wear jeans with belt loops, they have a

wrangler label and I wear a modern belt. When I put my gun belt on they are all

covered. I come to shoot not be a part of a costume contest. If you want to

dress to the max please do so and enjoy it.

+1

Archived