SASS Wire Forum

Blue Jeans or not

Ace_of_Hearts

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang, page 9 about blue jeans :wacko: Did anyone watch Shooting USA last night featuring EOT. Part of it was about Tex gettng a young shooter started, the kind of positive promotion we need see to recruit the next generation. It was really well done. Oh yea, Tex was wearing BLUE JEANS, :o You could not tell if they were Levi, Wrangler or JC Penny :huh: and he was not shooting B-Western. What was this original topic about?? ;)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

You caught me.

My name is Branchwater Jack.

And I have pants envy.

ooh...look at these...

spoilers-of-plains-lc.jpg

roy-rogers-levis.jpg

Truthfully, though, when the phrases, "Should blue jeans be disallowed (except in B-Western)?" and "My favored approach is to add Wrangler-style jeans to the "Outlawed" list in the Handbook - show up on the range in jeans (unless you are dressed B-Western) and earn a SDQ ... two of these in the same match and you go home!" get thrown around, Ya, it gets my dander up.

They are statements that shows a complete ignorance of the history of the old west, old western movies, and some of our western TV shows that we grew up watching for so long.

All the actors with blue jeans look like mighty fine cowboys, but they must be city folk. Not one of them had worn out jeans with holes.

Only 1 of them can shoot B Western their shirts aren't fancy enough.

DC

PS great pics

actually 3 of the 5 qualify, the three on the right..

Madd Mike, and I am glad that I won't be there to hear it. I wonder if they have a quick vote to see if something is even worth discussing. I mean if relatively few think it's worth even discussing, it would seem like a waste of time. But then again, what do I know.

Madd Mike, and I am glad that I won't be there to hear it. I wonder if they have a quick vote to see if something is even worth discussing. I mean if relatively few think it's worth even discussing, it would seem like a waste of time. But then again, what do I know.

they call the quick vote a straw vote at those meetings

good point

I think the whole wrangler type gene thing is a joke, baDD joke

jordash type jeans probably would have been a different ideal

Simple solution?

Spend $50,,,, or less.. ride for the brand.... right or wrong.. agree or disagree with what is expected of ya.. and purchase pant(s) that are not Wrangler/Levi/walmart/target/box-store knock-offs of 'blue-jeans"... or wear a dress.

I just was given direction (after 35years without) to wear a reflective safety vest thingy by management.... Fer what they pay me,,,,,,, gladly!!

Accessorizing 'blue jeans' with other things like suspenders, scarfs, spurs, 'BOOTS" and so forth would go a looooong way!!

Ya can;t afford $50 for pants within 6 months??? then perhaps this hobby is to high class fer ya.,,,,Sorry!!

Just a thought

FWIW,,,, I can give slack to folks that start local, stay local,,,,, and show honest effort in complying with basic rules (equipment/clothing) because of their economic situation.

Blastmaster

When SASS starts paying us big bucks then I will have no problem outlawing Wranglers. But at this point WE ARE THE CUSTOMER! To push something this controversial is idiotic. Who pays the bills here?

It appears to me that The Wild Bunch is irritated by all those young shooters in the winners circle in their straw hats and blue jeans who could care less about pretending to be an old west cowboy. So it is time to get rid of them by upping the dress code. First Wranglers then straw hats and then? That way SASS will become a costume contest for old slow shooters.

Ride for the brand? The sad truth is that the western cowboy culture had and has nothing but disdain for pretend wanna be cowboys.

My Chronicle arrived today and I got mad all over again.

If I could figure out how to post pictures on this tread, I would show all of you pictures of Tex in wranglers at the southwest regional in English Texas. He even posed for me to take the pictures. Lol.

I'll shoot with Grizzly Dave and Tracker Jack Daniels anyday.....

.....but now let's talk about the price of leather and rigs. gee whiz.....

but Levi's have been around since 1872.

It would be my pleasure. To shoot with you that is. The price of leather, well, you can get into big bucks in a hurry. When I started I had a couple of non CAS shootin irons I never used that I was trying to sell without much luck. Wound up finding a leather maker who would make me a custom rig in trade for them. At the time I didn't think a shotgun belt would work for me so he made me a couple of slides for the gunbelt. Have since changed my mind and bought a Mernickle shotgun belt. You might be able to find someone with a local club who has upgraded and would be willing to sell you their old rig at a good price. I know quite a few folks who started that way.

but Levi's have been around since 1872.

I would be glad to shoot with you. You can spend as much or as little as you want on leather and rigs. In my opinion the best value for you money can be found with Rockin Double J Leather. It is run by CAS shooters so they know what shooters are looking for, and they customize everything for you. Love all my leather from them.

Being as I shoot BW I like my '92 Nate Kiowa Jones rifles, Ruger Vaqueros, and either a '97 shotgun or a hammer double. I shoot .38 loads heavy enough to take any knockdown target down, and replica AA Featherlite shotgun loads.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM, I will be glad to help.

• 2 weeks later...

HEY!!!

Jefro has it right. Apparently some of you newbies are not aware of the long standing Wire Rule that nobody gets to start arguing about something in the Chronicle until I get my copy!!!

And I'll let you all know when my Chronicle shows up so you can argue about it then.

HEY!!!

I just got my copy of the Chronicle in the mail yesterday. Wondering if you got yours yet so we can talk about this...

<_<:ph34r:

May I direct your attention that blue jeans are period correct ...

Cinch pants to be worn with suspenders, introduced in the 1850's by Levi Strauss, a 24-year-old German immigrant

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Levis-Engineered-Jeans-10th-Anniversary-Cinch-Back-Jean-Leg-Twist-Sz-28-x-31-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/R6gAAMXQyfFSAZ0T/$T2eC16F,!zUE9s38-PG+BS!Z0TLFrw~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

Greetings,

I received my chronicle this past week and read up to that issue. I have a pair of Levi's 501 button fly that I like to wear to shoots. I also have a pair of brown wranglers with loops removed and suspender buttons added. They both look authentic and I do not shoot any category but gunfighter; nor do I plan to. I like to wear them during the warm months because those mounted pattern wool cavalry trowsers get mighty hot! If the powers that be decide to outlaw my breeches, then I guess I will wait till cooler months and just wear my different military outfits.

I'd like to think folks can reasonably come to a general consensus on this issue. Isn't it always said "if it's good enough for Duke Wayne it's good enough to shoot CAS"?

Madd Mike, and I am glad that I won't be there to hear it. I wonder if they have a quick vote to see if something is even worth discussing. I mean if relatively few think it's worth even discussing, it would seem like a waste of time. But then again, what do I know

Dave, did you really say that? We're on page nine of a thread about outlawing blue jeans in COWBOY action shooting so I ask again, did you REALLY say that??? :lol:

Dave, did you really say that? We're on page nine of a thread about outlawing blue jeans in COWBOY action shooting so I ask again, did you REALLY say that??? :lol:

Of course I did. Read my lips, don't outlaw jeans!

I can see it now, room packed with TGs and the subject comes up. Just to pick a number lets say 200 in attendance. Say out of those 200 there are 4 who think outlawing blue jeans is a good idea. Two percent. Then the group spends the next three hours time debating the issue. I think I'd pull out what little is left of my hair and start on my eye brows and beard. Just glad I won't be there to endure it. A quick poll to gauge the interest in pursuing the topic would save everyone a few hours and hairs.

Following this thread I think banning Henry Big Boy rifles would get more support.

This thread reminds me of the threads on hats and foot ware,(notice I didn't say boots). People's own bias, opinion, is the foundation for these lively discussions. In other words, this is the way I do it therefore it's the way we should all do it.

Wrangler is a very supportive organization for the "current" way of the cowboy for rodeos and ranch work. As we saw from the Levi web site reference, the jeans they make have evolved over time. What is made today isn't what was worn then, but the purpose for wearing them still remains.

Unfortunately Levi-Strauss has become a fashion based company and is very anti-gun in their politics. So the cow folk moved on to Wrangler.

If you want to wear hysterically correct clothing, hats, etc. and take it to the limits then thats you. If the other person wants to wear jeans, a long sleeve shirt, packers with synthetic soles and no hat let them be.

How about we spend this much energy on creating a plan to entice new, young, shooters. Other wise attrition caused by death of the old is going to end this sport.

Oh yeah, bury me in my blue jeans.

Ike

Kind of like modern powder vs. Bp, or dualist vs. two handed. Your choice is the right choice.

I'm confused, I've read every post and still am not clear as to what is being proposed to ban. Is it all "Wranglers" regardless of their color, or is it just blue colored denim trousers, generally called "jeans"?

I'm confused, I've read every post and still am not clear as to what is being proposed to ban. Is it all "Wranglers" regardless of their color, or is it just blue colored denim trousers, generally called "jeans"?

I thought it was a discussion item not a rule to be voted on???

Archived