SASS Wire Forum

Blue Jeans or not

Ace_of_Hearts

I like my '73 too much

:)

Oh, and nice one :lol:

All I need is a rifle, some holsters, a belt, some boots, spurs and a couple of odds and ends an I'll be set. I'm retiring in '14 so look for me in BW say, 2020ish?

:) len

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I still hear that hyena coyote hybrid laff!!!!!!!!!!

Rex Allen is sure purdy in that photo!! Just fix those holsters so his pistols are correct and he would be a fine B Western fella shooter!! I guess what confuses people about the B Western category is the fact that clothing like Slim has on does not qualify, just because someone wore them in a B movie does not mean it fits the rules for our B Western category.

Pants without chaps, now there is something to think about... might make for a cooler shooting outfit for the summer, chaps with no pants and a vest with no shirt. I'll see what I can come up with this winter and wear it next summer!

SEE MR BANE???? Tol ya ya shouldn't be givin' ole Grizz ideas....heck, I'm the one still stuck shootin' wit him all tha time..... :blink::blink::blink:

If I wear my B-Western outfit (Including my cuffed BLUE JEANS) but I shoot Elder Statesman, do I suddenly detract from the ambiance of the Western genre?

I am still trying to understand why SOME are taken aback by the wearing of Jeans.

So true.

However, what warms my "little Moderator heart" :) is the fact that this thread has been so polite compared to the threads :( after Tex's last costuming editorial.

Regards,

Allie "who loves seeing the pictures of cowboys in jeans" Mo ;)

PS Just because some of the Cowboys in the photos were in B-Westerns does not mean their costumes are appropriate for the B-Western category. It does mean they are appropriate for other SASS categories.

BIG+1 on that. :)

Pants without chaps, now there is something to think about... might make for a cooler shooting outfit for the summer, chaps with no pants and a vest with no shirt. I'll see what I can come up with this winter and wear it next summer!

Sort of like the Village People? That would be a sight (a scarry sight) to behold!!! :wacko:

SEE MR BANE???? Tol ya ya shouldn't be givin' ole Grizz ideas....heck, I'm the one still stuck shootin' wit him all tha time..... :blink::blink::blink:

If that should happen, no way in he!! do we want pictures.

If I wear my B-Western outfit (Including my cuffed BLUE JEANS) but I shoot Elder Statesman, do I suddenly detract from the ambiance of the Western genre?

I am still trying to understand why SOME are taken aback by the wearing of Jeans.

No, and I don't think for a minute that that is what Tex is talking about. I really think that the "Jeans look"= minimalist image is the problem! - IMHO, outlawing "jeans" is going to do nothing to correct the problem.

If you go back a couple (few?) pages and check out Grizzly Dave's pic of his own self, you, I, and most likely Tex, is not going to have a problem. Why, because, while GD is wearing jeans, he has also added onto his costume with scraff, sleeve garters, and braces. Grizzly Dave's outfit is NOT IMHO "minimalist" and therefore, NOT the problem.

Again, I would come back to the idea that simply providing folks with a list of items that they can add onto their "jeans, work shirt, boots and hat" look would go a long ways to raising the bar, and putting the emphasis on costuming as noted in the Shooter's Handbook. Such an addition would fit perfectly with the ill-defined "television western" provided for in the Shooter's Handbook.

This ain't no rodeo.

How can they "look out of place" if one's chosen persona is a working cattle drover of the period?...or a veteran of the late unpleasantness..or town drunk...or any "character" from the Old West without the means to attend a gunfight in their Sunday best outfit?

Please don't impose YOUR limits on MY "fantasy".

BTW - Rodeo "billboard" outfits have been used as the WORST example of why LOGOS aren't allowed.

Cool! Can we have a new category "Town Drunk!" I'm all in....................

Simple solution?

Spend $50,,,, or less.. ride for the brand.... right or wrong.. agree or disagree with what is expected of ya.. and purchase pant(s) that are not Wrangler/Levi/walmart/target/box-store knock-offs of 'blue-jeans"... or wear a dress.

I just was given direction (after 35years without) to wear a reflective safety vest thingy by management.... Fer what they pay me,,,,,,, gladly!!

Accessorizing 'blue jeans' with other things like suspenders, scarfs, spurs, 'BOOTS" and so forth would go a looooong way!!

Ya can;t afford $50 for pants within 6 months??? then perhaps this hobby is to high class fer ya.,,,,Sorry!!

Just a thought

FWIW,,,, I can give slack to folks that start local, stay local,,,,, and show honest effort in complying with basic rules (equipment/clothing) because of their economic situation.

Blastmaster

first 5 shots,,,, bam bam bam bam bam!!!! second 5, bam bam bam bam bam!!! rifle, bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam, shotgun, boom boom boom boom!!!

is it dead yet?

first 5 shots,,,, bam bam bam bam bam!!!! second 5, bam bam bam bam bam!!! rifle, bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam, shotgun, boom boom boom boom!!!

is it dead yet?

Was this a "stand and deliver" stage :D

is it dead yet?

Impossible to tell, I've been blinded by the reflection off of your rhinestones.

Et got bak up,,,

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Rex Allen is sure purdy in that photo!! Just fix those holsters so his pistols are correct and he would be a fine B Western fella shooter!! I guess what confuses people about the B Western category is the fact that clothing like Slim has on does not qualify, just because someone wore them in a B movie does not mean it fits the rules for our B Western category.

very good point ma'am

that being said, my narrow minded mind, "voices" tell me that the B western category

perhaps

was a flood gate to

what ever the heck ya see or seen in hollyweird is now legal in cas

mileage will vary

Wow, Allie Mo, the fella in your picture certainly is in the "Spirit of the Game" for B Western!!! Love it. Seems I need to put a little more work into my B Western........... :o

Hey Mike.....I think if people just follow the rules and the spirit of B Western which is in honor of cowboys like Roy Rogers and the above Rex Allen we would be fine. I just hope the TG's will clarify the rules at Convention this year for those who insist they can wear anything they want in the B Western category. (sometimes weird is okay, IMHO, but within the rules!! :wub: )

found my Palerider Loads!!!

and it wiggled!

KAAAAAAAA-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Whattsamatta Culpepper? Afraid that all this talk about B-Western will get folks interested and give you more competition?? :D :D :D

I have a question about the guy in the blingy picture, not looking to make trouble mind ya, he looks pretty much like the BW poster child to me...

The shooters handbooks says this about BW pants

Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt
loops, and/or piping or fringe.
• Pants must be worn with a belt.
Can't tell if there are flaps over the back pocket, don't know what keystone belt loops are, but is all that bling considered 'piping or fringe'?

That's Slick McClade, yes he is one of the poster boys for BW!

I have a question about the guy in the blingy picture, not looking to make trouble mind ya, he looks pretty much like the BW poster child to me...

Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt
Can't tell if there are flaps over the back pocket, don't know what keystone belt loops are, but is all that bling considered 'piping or fringe'?
That appears to be piping on the pockets of the pants (IMO)...& if Slick is wearin' 'em in BW (obviously), you can bet that they're legal for the category.

That's Slick McClade, yes he is one of the poster boys for BW!

INDEED!

^_^

WOW..Lot of reading here.

With a love of the American Indian that's the way I was always going to dress..sort of call myself a television 'Comanchero. they had a mix of all types & different 'acquired clothing'...I can if I want just wear a loin cloth & that's it [sASS approved ]..now I ain't got a hankering to do it..just sayin ! Blue jeans I can't see a problem with..seems a bit picky to me to say otherwise.!!!!

Look above at the picture of Rex Allen and Slim Pickens. I was hoping someone else would comment on it, but it does not appear as if either would qualify to shoot in the B-Western category going by the photo. They could shoot in any of the aged-based categories, however. And even in the shooting style or propellant categories. Just Rex cannot shoot Gunfighter, as pointed out by PWB.

For one, Rex ain't wearing spurs.

Slim is wearing spurs but his boots are plain mule ears.

Anyone else want to comment?

What your seeing is a "publicity" photo of Rex Allen. Rex never wore these outfits in his pictures, and most pictures actually wore 1 pistol, yes butt forward. He did wear jeans in most of his pictures, and hated the costumes that he was asked to wear for these type photos, most which ended up on comic book covers. His rodeo appearances posters had these outfits on the flyers, on rodeo day, he would be dressed in blue jeans and plaid shirts. MT

That is indeed the one and only Slick McClade. I'm not sure of the exact count but around 5 time National Campion 5 time World Champion multi time BW winner and Overall at State/Regional matches. I'm pretty sure if he wasn't legal he would have been called out by now.

It's going to be a long winter.

DC

Just to be absolutely clear, I was in no way trying to say that he in any way wasn't conforming to the requirements of the category.

Just trying to better understand what those requirements are. Not that you'll ever see me in BW, I ain't purdy enuff. :D

Whattsamatta Culpepper? Afraid that all this talk about B-Western will get folks interested and give you more competition?? :D :D :D

Grizz,

Following is a photo of keystone belt loops, which I believe Slick has on his pants.

32213-T-3-PINK-TAN.jpg

Thanks Allie, I had no idea what they were.

WRANGLER dress jeans have them as a standard item.

Archived