SASS Wire Forum

Blue Jeans or not

Ace_of_Hearts

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's time for SASS to come out with an official uniform for each category and where to buy every identical item, obtained through an approved vendor, from boots to hat including leather and firearms.

What a great idea, just like an exclusive school. I will shoot in the category with plaid skirts, and white blouses.

The following is an excerpt from "The Story of the Cowboy" by Emerson Hough, published in 1897

The cowboy never wore " galluses " (braces), and he rarely wore a belt to support his trousers, depending upon buttoning them tightly enough for that purpose; but he did wear a belt, this the wide, heavy leather belt that carried his pistol holster. This belt had loops for half a hundred cartridges, and the total weight of the affair, gun and all, was several pounds.

No pistol of less than .44 caliber was tolerated on the range, the solid framed .45 being the one almost universally used. The length of the barrel of this arm was eight inches, and it shot a rifle cartridge of forty grains of powder and a blunt-ended bullet that made a terrible missile.

In the shooting affairs of the West some one nearly always got killed, because the weapons used were really deadly ones.

The tenderfoot who brought the little .32 pistol of the " States " to the range was laughed at till he threw it away. Thereupon the tenderfoot bought a .45, and was very wretched. He found the heavy thing almost unsupportable in its constant dragging down, and he could never get at it when he wished to practice on a prairie dog.

He buckled the belt tightly about his waist, and perhaps decorated himself with one of the useless sharp-pointed knives which, for some inscrutable reason, have always had a place and a sale in the Eastern sporting-goods shops under the name of " hunting knives," though they are scorned by any man who really hunts or who has ever lived in the West.

If our tenderfoot would study the belt of the cowpuncher he might learn something to his benefit. He would, of course, see no knife there.

The foreman has a clasp knife at the branding corral for purposes connected with his work, but the cowboy has none at his belt.

The belt itself is not buckled about his waist at all, but is worn loose, resting upon the point of the hip on the left side, and hanging low down upon the hip on the right side, none of the weight of the gun coming upon the soft parts of the abdomen at all.

In riding, a cowpuncher's gun is no encumbrance to him, and he gives it no more thought than a well-dressed man does his necktie. Yet quicker than the latter citizen could jerk loose his tie the cowpuncher can jerk loose his gun.

Knowing the value of time and the danger of overshooting in a little affair, he will begin to " set the gun agoing " as soon as it gets out of the holster, maybe cutting a little dust inside the distance of his man, but before the second or so of the time of the shooting is past something has usually happened.

Some of the bad men of the West tied back or removed altogether the triggers of their revolvers, thus simplifying the lock and making it more absolutely certain. The gun can be fired much more quickly by cocking and releasing the hammer with the thumb, all six of the shots being thus almost continuous in the hands of a trained gun fighter.

The two horse thieves who were killed in lower Kansas by Three-finger Carter, after their long flight across the range from Nebraska in the early '80's, had their revolvers thus arranged. Though Carter was lucky enough to get in two shots with a Sharps rifle, which killed one and disabled the other before they had managed to hit him, he said that the " ar was plum full o' lead " while he was getting in his second cartridge.

The well-founded respect which the cowpuncher had for simplicity and certainty in his arms caused him to generally reject the double-action revolver.

His dependence was placed in the old-style single-action revolver, with the wooden handle. Some young and more modern cowboys sometimes "toted" guns with pearl or ivory handles, on which the head of a " longhorn " was sometimes engraved handsomely; but these works of art were not cherished in the holsters of the old-time men.

The genuine cowboy of the times when some men needed guns and all men carried them, wanted a gun that would "shore go off" when it was wanted. It needed to be an arm which would stand rain and sun and sand, which could be dropped in a stampede and run over by a herd of cattle, but which when picked up would still be ready to go to shooting.

201310-cowboy-billy-the-bear.jpg

Ring, Ring......Ring, Ring

Thank you for calling your SASS approved vendor. Press 1 for GF, 2 for BW,......................................36 for FCD

You have pressed 1 for GF, Great choice, press 1 for small, 2 for medium...................................press 9 for Wait Watchers

There were all types of jeans in the West and I doubt we have seen them all yet. Why don't we just stick to the majority and leave the other poor folks alone who want to dress like dumba----. We need a bureaucrat like Tex to spruce it up to the proper level. It pisses me off to show up in proper dress and here comes a guy in loafers, jeans from Target, t-shirt with Duck Dynsty on it, and two ultra modern pistols and a borrowed single shot shotgun, along with a nine shot Winchester. He needs a good talking to and sent to get the required, To Hell with the Obamma philosophy of giving him a chance. I spent a lot of money to play it right, so I say spend it or stay home until I can stand beside you and be proud to stand there. If I want to stand by a wimp, my guncart will not be far away.

Thinking like that will drive more people away than getting them started. The basic start up cost if you buy everything you need would be a conservative $2000. If there's more than one it adds more. So if I understand your way of thinking instead of giving someone say 6 months or so to get stuff together you would rather them not be there. Maybe you should rethink why your in the sport . Are you here to promote it and help grow it or are you just here for your own selfish ambition?

Just a thought. Maybe a lot of us need to reassess why we are part of this sport we love.

DC

I personally think Grizzly Dave looks weird, but over the years I've gotten used to him.

Photography has been in widespread use since the Civil War. You wanna know how people dressed in the "Old West," look at the pictures. I have...hundreds and hundreds of them. Lotta jeans in those pictures, especially moving into the 1890s and especially in the northern tier of the West -- Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas.

I personally think the problem Tex and the TGs need to tackle is chaps without pants...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

we got that all worked out during Sturgis Rally aka Bike Week. Although some local constabularies issue tickets for outright nudity the tourists have wised up and many fine examples of 'alternative thong' choices with chaps made for an interesting sidewalk kaleidoscope this year especially on "panty Wednesday" in Hulette WY. This caused many to wonder about the significant contrbution of the camel and the hump day commercial.

Is that the Wild Wild West that Tex meant?

I personally think Grizzly Dave looks weird, but over the years I've gotten used to him.

Photography has been in widespread use since the Civil War. You wanna know how people dressed in the "Old West," look at the pictures. I have...hundreds and hundreds of them. Lotta jeans in those pictures, especially moving into the 1890s and especially in the northern tier of the West -- Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas.

I personally think the problem Tex and the TGs need to tackle is chaps without pants...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Thanks Bane, the feeling is mutual, :D well, actually the only reason we put up with you is that you bring the lovely Indiana Jackson along! :D

Pants without chaps, now there is something to think about... might make for a cooler shooting outfit for the summer, chaps with no pants and a vest with no shirt. I'll see what I can come up with this winter and wear it next summer!

The following is an excerpt from "The Story of the Cowboy" by Emerson Hough, published in 1897

Some of the bad men of the West tied back or removed altogether the triggers of their revolvers, thus simplifying the lock and making it more absolutely certain. The gun can be fired much more quickly by cocking and releasing the hammer with the thumb, all six of the shots being thus almost continuous in the hands of a trained gun fighter.

Six shots.

And here I've only been loading up 5 all these years. :P:lol:

Too bad he does not elaborate on which thumb was doing the hammer cocking.

Kinda makes you wonder.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Rocky Lane...the cowboy in Blue Jeans

71831-12044-104829-1-rocky-lane-western.jpg

this is specifically allowed in the rule book... and looks pretty good.

Wow, 7 pages, now. :)

One of the problems with threads that go on for so many pages is that folks respond without having read very many of the prior posts. As a result, some of the same stuff gets "recycled" a dozen times. :lol:

Hmm, 7 page about blue jeans :huh: One of the problems with threads that go on for so many pages is that folks respond without having read very many of the prior posts. As a result, some of the same stuff gets "recycled" a dozen times. ;)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Wow, 7 pages, now. :)

One of the problems with threads that go on for so many pages is that folks respond without having read very many of the prior posts. As a result, some of the same stuff gets "recycled" a dozen times. :lol:

So true.

However, what warms my "little Moderator heart" :) is the fact that this thread has been so polite compared to the threads :( after Tex's last costuming editorial.

Regards,

Allie "who loves seeing the pictures of cowboys in jeans" Mo ;)

PS Just because some of the Cowboys in the photos were in B-Westerns does not mean their costumes are appropriate for the B-Western category. It does mean they are appropriate for other SASS categories.

Hmm, 7 page about blue jeans :huh: One of the problems with threads that go on for so many pages is that folks respond without having read very many of the prior posts. As a result, some of the same stuff gets "recycled" a dozen times. ;)

Well written. :ph34r:;):P

PS Just because some of the Cowboys in the photos were in B-Westerns does not mean their costumes are appropriate for the B-Western category. It does mean they are appropriate for other SASS categories.

This is where I think a lot of misinterpretation comes into play - with the person wanting to shoot BW claiming they are dressing as an actor/actress from a BW film. I actually tried to start another thread with this as a topic but am currently unable to post photos for reference.

This is where I think a lot of misinterpretation comes into play - with the person wanting to shoot BW claiming they are dressing as an actor/actress from a BW film. I actually tried to start another thread with this as a topic but am currently unable to post photos for reference.

PM sent with my email address.

Nota Bene!

Rex ain't the only BW cowboy what wore his pistolas BUTT-FORWARD! :o

(another rule, IMO, that needs to be "fixed" i.e. DELETED for anyone shooting GF-style) <_<

So true.

However, what warms my "little Moderator heart" :) is the fact that this thread has been so polite compared to the threads :( after Tex's last costuming editorial.

Regards,

Allie "who loves seeing the pictures of cowboys in jeans" Mo ;)

I'm confused B western dress from a B Western movie but not legal for B Western shooting. I feel like I'm in a parallel universe. Please explain for us simple minded people.

DC

PS Allie you know I love ya but I don't follow you on this one.

Look above at the picture of Rex Allen and Slim Pickens. I was hoping someone else would comment on it, but it does not appear as if either would qualify to shoot in the B-Western category going by the photo. They could shoot in any of the aged-based categories, however. And even in the shooting style or propellant categories. Just Rex cannot shoot Gunfighter, as pointed out by PWB.

For one, Rex ain't wearing spurs.

Slim is wearing spurs but his boots are plain mule ears.

Anyone else want to comment?

Hmm, 7 page about blue jeans :huh:

And in all seven pages the REALLY important question has yet to be asked. Ginger or Mary Ann?

P.S. Anyone and everyone who mentioned seeing Madd Mike in pink "skinny" jeans and/or Grizzly Dave in chaps with no pants should instantly and forever be banished from SASS. :wacko:

I'm confused B western dress from a B Western movie but not legal for B Western shooting. I feel like I'm in a parallel universe. Please explain for us simple minded people.

DC

PS Allie you know I love ya but I don't follow you on this one.

The B-Western SASS Category has specific requirements.

Clothing in B-Western Movies does not always conform to the SASS Category requirements.

Hi Dewey!

Grizz has it right. Read the costume requirements for the BW category. They are more restrictive than many costumes we see in BW films. The category requirements seem to require "Purdy Boys," like CC. :ph34r:

BW category was Coyote Calhoun's vision of a category. Maybe if he'd called it BW Bling Boys and Gals ;) there would be less misunderstanding.

Regards,

Allie

PS thanks for the :wub: and back atcha!

The B-Western SASS Category has specific requirements.

Clothing in B-Western Movies does not always conform to the SASS Category requirements.

Correct.

Add to that.... most B-Western Movie outfits would be appropriate for wearing in non-costume categories.

Look above at the picture of Rex Allen and Slim Pickens. I was hoping someone else would comment on it, but it does not appear as if either would qualify to shoot in the B-Western category going by the photo. They could shoot in any of the aged-based categories, however. And even in the shooting style or propellant categories. Just Rex cannot shoot Gunfighter, as pointed out by PWB.

For one, Rex ain't wearing spurs.

Slim is wearing spurs but his boots are plain mule ears.

Anyone else want to comment?

I'm thinkin' that Joan and the Fashion Police would slap a knot on Slim's head.

Stripes with PLAID, Fan my brow!

:D len

I'd love to read all 6 pages...but, I frankly don't have the patience...sorry.

I bring new shooters into this game on a regular basis. I can PROMISE you that if we get rid of the ability to wear "Jeans", we are going to lose out on some of them.

The dress up part is pretty much like other aspects of this game. You kinda grow into it as you become more experienced with the game...find out what "Look" they like...etc, without spending MORE money!

We don't need more BARRIERS to entry here folks.

Phantom

+1

MY GOD! I agree with Phantom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an outfit much like what Slim is wearing up there. The colors don't even match. The Steampunk Mrs. calls the look, "Manuel the Colorblind Cowboy."

I don't shoot in the B-Western category, though.

And WHY NOT? :lol:

Looks like easy Pickin's to me!

;) len

Archived