SASS Wire Forum

Blue Jeans or not

Ace_of_Hearts

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 22, 2013 - Political and insult to Tex
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, November 22, 2013 - Political and insult to Tex

There were all types of jeans in the West and I doubt we have seen them all yet. Why don't we just stick to the majority and leave the other poor folks alone who want to dress like dumba----. We need a bureaucrat like Tex to spruce it up to the proper level. It pisses me off to show up in proper dress and here comes a guy in loafers, jeans from Target, t-shirt with Duck Dynsty on it, and two ultra modern pistols and a borrowed single shot shotgun, along with a nine shot Winchester. He needs a good talking to and sent to get the required, To Hell with the Obamma philosophy of giving him a chance. I spent a lot of money to play it right, so I say spend it or stay home until I can stand beside you and be proud to stand there. If I want to stand by a wimp, my guncart will not be far away.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and all this time i waz a thinking that suspenders waz more for dunn-lap syndrome

not many had that syndrome when times were leaner, dont cha know :lol:

I resemble that remark! Gotta have my suspenders to keep my pants up.

Well Grizzly Adams, I took your advise from page one and have my drink. Which means I will probably have to delete this post in the morning.

I am glad we have gone from defaming Tex to a discussion of B western. As I caught up on all the posts on BW I thought of some of the older folks who have now moved on. Their fixed income barely allowed for them to buy ammo and their BW outfits came from the thrift store. Gawd, they were slow but finishing a stage was a victory and was celebrated. I miss them and their zest for life......

Yup. Bless em all.

Just my opinion here, but my thoughts on the matter are similar to what Nawlins Kid posted earlier. I've seen a lot of shooters at matches wearing jeans that were worn out, excessively faded, torn, and they do look out of place at a match. When I do wear jeans to a match, they are usually either black, tan, or dark grey in color (and usually at Wild Bunch matches, where turn of the century clothing is more appropriate).

If a shooter wants to wear jeans, for whatever reason, they should at least make the effort to wear western style jeans (straight leg, boot cut, no embroidery other that manufacturer's back pocket stitching). Additionally, they should be clean, untorn, and not excessively worn and faded (go to a rodeo and look what the participants wear).

Hi Folks,

Bronco Billy Aaronson sent me a PDF of a wonderful writing, "Cowboy Dress, Tools, and Equipments...in the 1880's." I found it online for you to read.

Look on the following site. http://www.theodorerooseveltcenter.org/Research/Digital-Library/Record.aspx?libID=o50154

Thank you BBA!

Regards,

Allie Mo

Interesting........According to the author....in the 1880's jeans were not common for cowboys...in the 1890's jeans were common for cowboys.....

Stan - Proud jean wearing SASS member.....albeit brown, green, black, beige jeans

Interesting........According to the author....in the 1880's jeans were not common for cowboys...in the 1890's jeans were common for cowboys.....

Stan - Proud jean wearing SASS member.....albeit brown, green, black, beige jeans

1890s Levi Jeans

Levi Vintage Jeans - pick your decade!

Just my opinion here,

{snip}

Additionally, they should be clean, untorn, and not excessively worn and faded (go to a rodeo and look what the participants wear).

I don't believe that real cowboys back in the 1880's always had a fresh pair of clean clothes that they put on every morning. On the drive, they may have had an extra shirt. That's about it.

A lot of the look that some of my costuming goes for is that look of a cowboy pulling into the railhead at the end of the drive. Pants caked with mud, torn, stitched up, and torn again, blood splattered, and smeared with BP gunk off my hands. Shirt a little threadworn. miss-matched, replaced buttons.

One of the more authentic cowboy get-ups you will ever see.

I'll never forget, Buck D Law telling the story of our first meeting. He thought the local group put up a homeless cowboy on the range.

What's next? Banning plaids mixed with stripes?

:D:D:D

Branchwater, I'm with you buddy. Worn and faded just look more cowboy to me. Forget the acid washed pre ripped ones though :D

Now see a feller in clean crisp new jeans with a crease ironed in them... that just don't seem as cowboy to me, not that cowboy didn't get duded up after the got to town and got paid and bought new duds, but...

Just purchased a new book last weekend from the author. Title: Superstition Cowboys, by Jack San Felice. It is all about the ranches and cowboys in the Superstion Mountain areas and Az in general from about 1850 til 1950. The book has lots of photos of cowboys from the SASS era of 1870s to 1890s. In those old black and white photos many of the cowboys are wearing denim pants, i.e. jeans. Some wearing suspenders, some can't tell, others a belt. Many even have their denims rolled up a couple of inches like Gene and Roy did in the movies. Some had very tight fitting legs others had loose fitting legs in their denims. Many of the ranches in the book are only a few miles from our Gold Canyon, Az home.

I say anybody that dresses like that no good- lower- than- life- less- than- a- cowboy- starched- rodeo- daisy, George Strait should be banned from SASS entirely. Besides the chicks dig him too much and I can't sing like him anyway. :lol:

There was a bunch wearing Wranglers at Comin' At Cha and I heard that true to fine Texas tradition those Wranglers were STARCHED... just like rodeo cowboys like them.

If you can't handle buttons then just dribble all over your fancy stitched Ariats. :o

This isn't rodeo. Match DQ! ;)

Six pages.... dang... SIX PAGES over jeans....Heck, we have one thread worrying about attracting more shooters and this one trying its best to run them off.

Just my opinion here, but my thoughts on the matter are similar to what Nawlins Kid posted earlier. I've seen a lot of shooters at matches wearing jeans that were worn out, excessively faded, torn, and they do look out of place at a match. When I do wear jeans to a match, they are usually either black, tan, or dark grey in color (and usually at Wild Bunch matches, where turn of the century clothing is more appropriate).

If a shooter wants to wear jeans, for whatever reason, they should at least make the effort to wear western style jeans (straight leg, boot cut, no embroidery other that manufacturer's back pocket stitching). Additionally, they should be clean, untorn, and not excessively worn and faded (go to a rodeo and look what the participants wear).

I would bet that cowboys in the day wore denim jeans that were worn, faded, and torn. Can you just guess what they looked like after weeks in the saddle?

And I love this old quote from The Old-Time Cowhand by Ramon F Adams, Page 76:

His pants were mostly of hard, close-woven material that could stand rough usage. The old-timer wore ’em stuffed inside his high-topped boots. The modern cowhand wears ’em outside his short boots, with usually one side of each leg crawling up over the top like it ain’t on speakin’ terms with the boot heel.

The style now is the denim Levi, an overall without a bib. He buys ’em long and turns ’em up at the buttom a turn or two, till they’re jes’ above his spurs. Them turnsup make a handy place to pack hoss-shoe nails and such.

No matter whether they were pants or Levi, they’d be hangin’ from his hips without any other support. Galluses were never seen on the range because they bound the shoulders and interfered with work, and belts were apt to cause hernia when ridin' a pitchin' hoss.

Another great quote in a book full of 'em...

If you really wanted to see some fancy cow duds you'd find 'em on some stall-fed tenderfoot who'd come West huntin' some of that romance he'd read in books. Chances are, he'd been raised on the Brooklyn Bridge and had never been closer to a cow than a can of Eagle Brand, but when he sallied forth from the outfitters he looked like a dime novel on a spree. The first one of them shorthorns I ever saw I thought he was a mail-order catalogue on foot. Put 'im with a bunch of cowmen and he'd a-showed up like a tin roof in a fog.

I agree with you Grizz, there is nothing more cowboy than blue jeans. They are period correct and were and still are the pants of choice for most cowboys. Tex needs to get his head into the real world, not everyone wants or can afford to wear Wahmaker pants. Just because Tex wears them and does not like blue jeans is no reason for him to campaign to outlaw blue jeans and force Wahmaker on the rest of us.

It also says in the shooters handbook that the minimum dress requirement is a long sleve western style shirt, jeans and leather shoes or boots. Tex should read the rule books before he climbs on his soap box. If he does not like this maybe he should consider leaving SASS and join NCOWS.

Howdy Pard:I see would bet in the real world more folks spend more on BRASS than they do on costumes........Affordability is not a real issue...it's effort in your desire to costume up....if ya don't no skin off me ...you are way off on the minimum dress code....I would also believe a good chance Tex was there when the rules were written.......AND If Tex left my heart would be broken.......Tuco.

This ain't no rodeo.

How can they "look out of place" if one's chosen persona is a working cattle drover of the period?...or a veteran of the late unpleasantness..or town drunk...or any "character" from the Old West without the means to attend a gunfight in their Sunday best outfit?

Please don't impose YOUR limits on MY "fantasy".

BTW - Rodeo "billboard" outfits have been used as the WORST example of why LOGOS aren't allowed.

me neethur, guess we cud read it online.....

I actually think Tex has got what he wanted, conversation!

I resemble that remark! Gotta have my suspenders to keep my pants up.

grizz, we just gotta meet up and shoot on the same possie some day

some folks are hinting that I may be needin suspenders, I say it is lack of hinny

mileage always varies between models, makes and years dont cha know :D:lol::o

I think I can hear TEX laughing....... listen real close,,,,,, it sounds like a cross between a coyote and a hyena! there it is again!!!!!

me neethur, guess we cud read it online.....

I actually think Tex has got what he wanted, conversation!

Tex said has always worked for stirring up the herd in the past

I respect Tex, shot on the same posse many-many-many times with him

Is he perfect, auh shucks no, but then again neither am I, or others

blue-blueish -- jeans or not blue-ish, worn, torn, belled, cowboy cut, carpenter, er punk cut,,,, er not------ jeans

SASS will carry on, shucks we all need somethin ta dooo

I personally think Grizzly Dave looks weird, but over the years I've gotten used to him.

Photography has been in widespread use since the Civil War. You wanna know how people dressed in the "Old West," look at the pictures. I have...hundreds and hundreds of them. Lotta jeans in those pictures, especially moving into the 1890s and especially in the northern tier of the West -- Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas.

I personally think the problem Tex and the TGs need to tackle is chaps without pants...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

I personally think Grizzly Dave looks weird, but over the years I've gotten used to him.

Photography has been in widespread use since the Civil War. You wanna know how people dressed in the "Old West," look at the pictures. I have...hundreds and hundreds of them. Lotta jeans in those pictures, especially moving into the 1890s and especially in the northern tier of the West -- Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas.

I personally think the problem Tex and the TGs need to tackle is chaps without pants...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

+1 LoL!

DO NOT....I REPEAT, DO NOT BE GIVING GRIZZLY DAVE ANY IDEAS!!!!

There were all types of jeans in the West and I doubt we have seen them all yet. Why don't we just stick to the majority and leave the other poor folks alone who want to dress like dumba----. We need a bureaucrat like Tex to spruce it up to the proper level. It pisses me off to show up in proper dress and here comes a guy in loafers, jeans from Target, t-shirt with Duck Dynsty on it, and two ultra modern pistols and a borrowed single shot shotgun, along with a nine shot Winchester. He needs a good talking to and sent to get the required, To Hell with the Obamma philosophy of giving him a chance. I spent a lot of money to play it right, so I say spend it or stay home until I can stand beside you and be proud to stand there. If I want to stand by a wimp, my guncart will not be far away.

This is why we turn a bunch of people off to this sport........

I think the term Wrangler was used generically to encompass all brands of jeans as opposed to listing every brand. I believe the objection is not to jeans themselves but to the extra accouterments e.g. The bling that was not available back in the period. Again we need to think period correct. There were no bedazzlers then, although there was some fancy stitching of card suites etc on some to make them fancy. There were no bell bottoms per say, but there were boot legs. Some even had the side slit and extra material sewn in to fit the boots, look at the Goucho style, that is why I believe it is the bedazzling that is the objection not the jeans themselves. Jeans are allowed & specifically referenced in the rules. As Ace said, Lets try to keep our eye on the ball here. JMHO.

Charlie

I would agree with the tee shirt comment, also the loafers but wonder about the rest of it. Jeans from Target are legal. A 9 shot Winchester is legal provided it is a pistol caliber, a single shot shotgun is legal and most all single action revolvers are legal. Not sure what you mean by two ultra modern pistols.

It's time for SASS to come out with an official uniform for each category and where to buy every identical item, obtained through an approved vendor, from boots to hat including leather and firearms.

Archived