SASS Wire Forum

Blue Jeans or not

Ace_of_Hearts

I have tried to stay out of this confusion but it is no longer possible with the latest article in the Chronicle.

Blue Jeans were invented in 1873 and quickly became the clothing of choice for the working man.

Please express to me what is the objection, if any, to cowboy shooters wearing Blue Jeans?

I just don't get understand the objection.

Ace

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly do not mind blue jeans....as long as they are of the type worn then. I see that "Wranglers" (instead of the generic "blue jeans") is used in the article, why would they be different from other brands of jeans? And it would be nice to keep this discussion civil.

I certainly do not mind blue jeans....as long as they are of the type worn then. I see that "Wranglers" (instead of the generic "blue jeans") is used in the article, why would they be different from other brands of jeans? And it would be nice to keep this discussion civil.

The most current Chronicle references (see the letters section) "Modern Jeans" only and does not single out a brand name, although it does say something about "Bling on the butt" which I have yet to see?

I think what he is referencing is the November edition, which quite frankly is driving my blood pressure up.

Advocating that any blue jeans be outlawed in every category except B-Western is the most asinine game killing thing I can think of.

Outlaw blue jeans, and you've seen the last of me at anything above club level shoots that allow them. Not a threat, a fact.

From the editorial response to a letter to the editor, Page 10, November Cowboy Chronicle
"My favored approach is to add Wrangler style jeans to the 'outlawed' list in the handbook--show up on the range in jeans (unless you are dressed B-Western) and earn a SDQ, ... two of these in the same match and you go home/"

I knew I had read something about Wranglers someplace!! It is in the Editors remarks under "Costuming Needs a Fix".

Oops.....sorry Grizzly Dave, I see you answered it while I was looking it up.

Not to forget that the rules say clothing that was worn in the Old West OR on screen. Which there are plenty of movies and TV film that have cowboys in blue jeans.

Here we go again.

Every month. Really?

Taking bets on how many posts this thread will generate.

Waimea opinion: FWIW

Jeans are a cowboy staple.

Jeans get my vote.

Disclaimer

I have not read the November Chronicle yet.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I wear jeans, I wear jeans with belt loops, they have a
wrangler label and I wear a modern belt. When I put my gun belt on they are all
covered. I come to shoot not be a part of a costume contest. If you want to
dress to the max please do so and enjoy it.

With all due respect to Tex, Cat, the Wild Bunch, and whoever else...

B-Western attire has never been restricted to JUST B-Western shooters, nor has classic cowboy attire been restricted to just Classic.

I have yet to see a definition of exactly WHAT 'Wrangler style' jeans are.

There may be a point to 'bedazzeld butts' not really being in the spirit of CAS, but isn't bedazzlement pretty much a requirement in B-Western?

Honestly, this is the FOURTH month in a row that the Editor of the Cowboy Chronicle has harped on how blue jeans are not appropriate attire at a cowboy match, even though they are LEGAL within the rules as published. I am more than beginning to feel like I am not welcome in their vision of what Cowboy Action Shooting should be.

Grizz, hon, for what it's worth (which probably isn't much) I agree with everything you said....and I've NEVER even worn jeans to a match!! But Buick has, we've tried buying him more period correct pants from vendors and we can't ever find any that fit him properly, and I haven't had any better luck making him any. It's not like he can go to a shoot wearing nothing from the waist down...not that I would mind of course....

Which is why I wondered why pick on "Wranglers"?

perhaps because it is a well known advertised brand of pants, made of blue jean material on the market and tv everyday

shucks we have a category called wrangler,

so I doubt it is the name on the patch on the pocket:::: bein talked about

perhaps they should mention: jordash, or clavin somebody etc instead

I am new to the whole cowboy shooting but I do know from other shooting competitions that the more restrictive you make the requirments the less shooters you have showing up. Example look at the drop off of IPSC shooting and the rise of PPC shooting. As IPSC gets more restrictive and race oriented more people go to PPC shooting.

I am new to the whole cowboy shooting but I do know from other shooting competitions that the more restrictive you make the requirments the less shooters you have showing up. Example look at the drop off of IPSC shooting and the rise of PPC shooting. As IPSC gets more restrictive and race oriented more people go to PPC shooting.

Jayhop101 - I would certainly agree. As you can tell from my replies above, this issue is a burr in my saddle blanket, and also in the saddle blanket of the editors or the Cowboy Chronicle though we are on different sides. A burr that seems to be continually being driven into my hide by continued editorials. The minimum standard has long been stated as "a pair of jeans, leather shoes or boots, and a long sleeved shirt." Most folks new to the game start out that way, many move past that and get more elaborate in their costuming even though they don't shoot the costume specific categories, others don't. Part of what I enjoy about this game is that there are many ways to enjoy it, and costuming, or bare minimum of costuming, is part of that.

I can understand the desire to see more folks embracing the costuming aspect of the sport. I love to see folks come to matches dressed in full Classic Cowboy attire. But the attitude that those who are dressed in the bare minimum as per the rules are some how less welcome, or less in any way riles me up.

I agree with you Grizz, there is nothing more cowboy than blue jeans. They are period correct and were and still are the pants of choice for most cowboys. Tex needs to get his head into the real world, not everyone wants or can afford to wear Wahmaker pants. Just because Tex wears them and does not like blue jeans is no reason for him to campaign to outlaw blue jeans and force Wahmaker on the rest of us.

It also says in the shooters handbook that the minimum dress requirement is a long sleve western style shirt, jeans and leather shoes or boots. Tex should read the rule books before he climbs on his soap box. If he does not like this maybe he should consider leaving SASS and join NCOWS.

I tend to wear the more tradtional style pants.On occasion I just don't feel like wearing them and wear jeans.Especially if it's going to be in the high 80's or 90's.May sound strange to some,but those suspenders over my shoulders are just another layer I don't need.I agree that Tex should lighten up on this whole period correct (in his opinion) style of dress.

Guys like Tex and his restrictive approach to this dress issue are killing newcomers to the sport. Plain and simple. I don't wear jeans, but IF I wanted to like so many others here that have chimed in, I should be allowed to. I agree. I love the dress up part personally, but I come to shoot..First and foremost

Can someone define Wrangler style jeans. Tex wants to outlaw them in all categories. How do Wrangler jeans differ from any other brand of jeans? I am confused.

Not sure,but I think he was using "Wrangler style" in the generic sense or term refering to all brands of jeans.Only thing in the dress code not approved is the kind with the fancy glitter or stitching or name on the pockets...aka...designer jeans.Still don't agree with him on any regular type of jeans being a no no.

Just bought my first set of "wranglers" I'm saving them to wear the next time I get to shoot with "Tex".

what color

I wear brown and black wrangler brand jeans at shoots all the time, even around tex in the past

like mentioned above, my gun belt covers the wrangler tag, if I have not already cut it off

Definition of "butt bling". Jeans, mostly for women which have sequins or sparkles or embroidery type stitching on rear pockets or down the outer seam. My lady wears lots of jeans like that and I'm telling you she looks really good in them. But at a cowboy shoot no way! But she really really looks good in them(look at that I'm a dirty old man! way cool!). :D:D

I agree with you Grizz, there is nothing more cowboy than blue jeans. They are period correct and were and still are the pants of choice for most cowboys. Tex needs to get his head into the real world, not everyone wants or can afford to wear Wahmaker pants. Just because Tex wears them and does not like blue jeans is no reason for him to campaign to outlaw blue jeans and force Wahmaker on the rest of us.

It also says in the shooters handbook that the minimum dress requirement is a long sleve western style shirt, jeans and leather shoes or boots.

Tex should read the rule books before he climbs on his soap box. If he does not like this maybe he should consider leaving SASS and join NCOWS.

Really? What is says in the SASS HB is:

CLOTHING AND ACCOUTERMENTS

Cowboy Action ShootingTM is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at

the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing

must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of

our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal

feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be

costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies,

dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it

would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

Where, do you find any language stating that, "the minimum dress requirement is a long sleve western style shirt, jeans and leather shoes or boots.?"

And FWIW, Tex was there when the rules were written. And you? <_<

We have a whole bunch of Cowboys here in Montana and they either wear blue jeans (several different brands) or Carharts.

Falls under the heading of "Don't we have something else to debate?

I'll try this again.

What I am trying to figure out is WHAT IS THE OBJECTION TO BLUE JEANS?

I don't care what you think about Tex.

I don't care if you don't like Henry Big Boys.

If you like jeans of any color... Fine... You don't have a dog in this hunt.

If you don't like jeans then tell me why!

I am on your side about jeans with bling.....

I am on your side when it comes to flared or bell bottom Jeans

I am on your side when it comes to torn or bleach spotted Jeans.

But I want to know what your side is when it comes to plane old western style Jeans.

Cause I don't understand your side of the fence!

Wranglers are the only jeans I wear.

But.

I never wear jeans of any kind to a SASS match.

Until this weekend.

Wore them all day yesterday and will again today in protest to this dumb idea that someone has.

They seem to have a bug about Wranglers themselves.

And YES.

I made sure I walked past a certain person as many times as I could today.

And know some others did also.

Well, how do you feel about bibs? Bib overalls has been my daily dress for many years. To wear anything else feels strange. I'm sure most everyone will say they are not western. But they were certainly worn by train engineers, firemen, brakemen, etc. Farmers, carpenters and other tradesmen wore them.

Every old western had a slab of bacon someplace in it. The bacon had to come from a howg. The howg had to be raised by a pig farmer. The pig farmer likely wore bibs. So there you are, bibs are wastern as a train or slab of bacon.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be

costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies,

dances, etcetera.

When I first started.. I wore the old style pants with all the button flys and suspenders...

Ya don't want ta wait too long to go to the outhouse... gotta have time on yer side :blink:

Takes a while ta get yer shotgun belt off.. Gunrig off.. and to get them buttons undone.. :wacko:

Over the years... I've grown a little...

Old west pants wouldn't fit anymore...

Let's see.. :mellow: spend $35 ta $45.00 for the new size pants

and then take to a tailor and spend $5 - $8 ta have them hemmed..

I went and bought about 4 pair of Wranglers... different colors..

I cut off the loops.. Removed the big ol' tag on the waistband in the back.. Installed suspender buttons..

Wow... I've now got 2 back pockets and a zipper...

That's what I wear...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' no panic anymore on the way to the outhouse..

'Yeah.. I know.. It's kinda crude but realistic... and they work.. :)

Archived