SASS Wire Forum

HELP DATE A '73

No Horse Hair, SASS #77464

I have a Winchester '73 saddle ring 44-40. It's been reblued and different wood. Serial #323xxxB. My Blue Book tells me it was made in 1889 if I'm reading it right. But what does the B stand for? It's had a tang sight and has a broken rear sight with a monkeyed dovetail. I replaced broken link and fired it when I got it. What's a ball park figure on value? No Horse Hair

Yeah, 1889. The earliest serial numbers had no letter, then they had the letter A, then A or B, and by s/n 200,000 all had the letter B after the serial number (per Arthur Pirkle's book). Can't help you on value. Sounds like a neat gun.

I have a Winchester '73 saddle ring 44-40. It's been reblued and different wood. Serial #323xxxB. My Blue Book tells me it was made in 1889 if I'm reading it right. But what does the B stand for? It's had a tang sight and has a broken rear sight with a monkeyed dovetail. I replaced broken link and fired it when I got it. What's a ball park figure on value? No Horse Hair

Nothing. The B is a factory work mark - most commonly found on 3rd models - but not always....

I really like my '73s, but I'm not gonna date 'em (well maybe - if my times would drop....).

Do they like dinner and a movie?

Sorry - in a silly mood.........

I really like my '73s, but I'm not gonna date 'em (well maybe - if my times would drop....).

Do they like dinner and a movie?

Sorry - in a silly mood.........

:D Go to bed, Harvey. :)

Archived