SASS Wire Forum

The differece between Americans and most of the rest of the world

Trigger Mike

Through out history we can see that Americans have always seemed to have a different mentality than most everyone else in the world. Things that may well work fine elsewhere will not work due to this mentality. Our military successes can be attributed to this difference in mentality. Take the tea tax. The tax itself was not the real issue, but that we were being forced to pay it without any say in the matter. It seems Americans will become angry at something forced on them that they otherwise would willingly do if just plain asked to do it. Americans love to give to charity as a whole, but generally hate taxes.

The advantage the American military has is that it instills initiative in his members. This initiative to act when command has fallen or is not present is part of that mentality that sets us apart from others. Where other armies can be shut down simply by removing the command structure, our generally can not be.

After the Revolution you will recall that taxes were again initiated in this country. Some opposed it thinking the tax itself was evil. The President arrived to remind them it was not taxes at issue but representation when the taxes were passed, or rather having a say in the matter. I recall the seat belt laws and how many rejected those laws for many years simply because it was required. Some still do resist partly because it was demanded of them and not requested. While some would not even shown the necessity, the majority would. It is our nature.

I think that in general we, as Americans, still have that "can do" attitude. However there are approximately 600 persons on the east coast (trying to keep this non-political) that are putting our image in the toilet around the globe.

Barry Sloe

about 53% still have the can do attitude, the other 47% have the "do for me" attitude... t'is sad sure enough....

I have read from several sources that the population in the colonies in 1775 were quite divided: about a third were loyalists, a third were indifferent and a third wanted justice. The goal of the justice started as fair treatment and ended in independence. The founding of our nation was not due to a rule of majority but a motivated and able minority.

I am not sure what us Americans different, but looking at the results of our difference is telling:

- So many of the things that we use today and changed civilization were due to American inventors and entreprenuers.

- At the end of WWII some nations wanted to simply rule lands won, some wanted to return home and the US felt the need to rebuild former foes into functional free nations.

- People in other nations expect us to fix things around the world. They know that the UN is dysfunctional.

- I believe that we wish for all nations to feel exceptional, to believe that their culture and history makes them unique.

Are we still? :unsure: Not as sure as I used to be.

We will sure find out if and when the do-do hits the fan .

I have read from several sources that the population in the colonies in 1775 were quite divided: about a third were loyalists, a third were indifferent and a third wanted justice. The goal of the justice started as fair treatment and ended in independence. The founding of our nation was not due to a rule of majority but a motivated and able minority.

I am not sure what us Americans different, but looking at the results of our difference is telling:

- So many of the things that we use today and changed civilization were due to American inventors and entreprenuers.

- At the end of WWII some nations wanted to simply rule lands won, some wanted to return home and the US felt the need to rebuild former foes into functional free nations.

- People in other nations expect us to fix things around the world. They know that the UN is dysfunctional.

- I believe that we wish for all nations to feel exceptional, to believe that their culture and history makes them unique.

+1 God Bless America. Now more than ever.......

Archived