SASS Wire Forum

Hunters Again Blamed for Condor Lead Poisoning

Cripes... here we go again.

The following was posted today in the local news:

More Condors Getting Lead Poisoning

October 31, 2013, 8:28 am

By KMJ News

The Los Angeles Zoo reports a record number of endangered California Condors, 21 to be exact, were treated for lead poisoning in October. Officials say that's more than half of what the zoo sees in a typical year. The program director with the center for biological diversity is blaming hunting, and more specifically, lead ammunition.

The zoo says lead poisoning is the leading cause of death in condors, and while they aren't getting shot, as scavengers they consume dead animals who may have been hit with the bullets. This comes on the heels of Governor Jerry Brown signing a bill requiring hunters to use non-lead ammunition to keep lead out of the ecosystem.

I attempted to post a response, but was blocked from doing so by a pop-up stating "Your post contains offensive content and will not be posted. You may edit the content and re-post."

Here's the "offensive" response I attempted to post. Can someone please tell me why it's offensive? Attempted response:

"AS usual, the blame is assigned to hunters.

"However, lead ammunition has been banned in the "Condor areas" for over five years; accordingly, ammunition-caused toxicity should be decreasing. Unfortunately, it's easy to focus the attention on hunters while ignoring other, more prevalent sources of lead: industrial compounds.

"Industrial lead compounds, which are quite soluble in digestive tracts, are found in paint, gasoline, pesticides, and micro-trash.
These lead compound sources are very common in the environment, and are likely responsible for many of the highly publicized lead poisonings attributed to lead ammunition.

"Oh - and let's not forget the lead mining operations in the state!"

Note: There are at least ten lead mining sites in Los Angeles county alone.

So, now that lead ammo is banned for hunting in California, in 5 years when they find the condors are still getting lead poisoning, will they repeal the bill? I doubt it, that would make too much sense!

Of course not.

At this point, I'm doubly disturbed.... first and obviously by the "report," but even more so by the blatant censoring of responses! :angry:

All differing opinions are offensive and therefore MUST be blocked. :angry:

I find Talk Radio to be mostly offensive or at the very least inflamatory.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

You know the irony is, if condor hunting were legal, then all the sport men's groups would contribute to increasing their survival, just like with deer and turkeys and ducks and geese. The problem is not hunters, it's NOT ENOUGH hunters!

I know you Calfornia pards are at a great disadvantage due to the Political climate, I fear it's only going to get worse, and I know you guys and gals have generations of Family in California, but I would cut my losses and move while the getting is good, I fear your Kids and Grandkids will suffer the worse as time goes by.

KK

When the last Condor dies, will they repeal the law and let you use lead bullets again?

Perhaps the demise of the beautiful Condor can be expedited and it would put and end to the lead ban. If they are such great creatures they would catch live prey and not have to depend on dead critters. I believe there's some Condor Helper at the local grocer.

Assassin

Bet wind turbines kill more Condors than lead...

G(who actually supports wind power as a supplemental energy source)G

You could go solar like I'm doing...if Michigan had any sunshine. :P

Seriously, I'm NOT a "person of greenness", but I've had a thermal coating (TexCote) on my house for almost 15 years, a thermal efficient roof for the same length of time, all Energy Star appliances except the dish washer, double pane vinyl framed energy efficient windows and door, 18 inches of Rock Wool blown in insulation in the attic, insulated hot water pipes and water heater, and now a solar electricity panel system (all america made Sun Power, three rows of seven panels each) is waiting for permits to be approved.

I have built two large patios on the west side of my house and one with a slatted roof over an existing sidewalk on the south side to cut down the amount of sun that clobbers us almost daily.

I have three roof mounted cyclone vents taking heat out of my attic nearly full time.

We have three ceiling fans in the house and are slowly converting to LED lighting in places where the incandescents are not decorative, like the hug bulbs over the bathroom sinks.

I have been using the curly-que lights for several years, but they generate a lot of heat and in spite of hype don't last significantly longer than incandescents.

I have removed nearly 350 square yards of lawn and flower beds and replaced them with concrete or crushed stone, saving a heap of water.

I have a Toyota Tacoma that will be 5 five years old the first of March with 24,500 miles on it. With a few modifications and sane driving it will get around 31 mpg. (The way I drive it gets about 15 mpg.) My wife's Saturn Ion is even more efficient and since she retired in June it gets even less use than my truck.

All of this has been spread out over 36 years and will still be paid out over the next twenty at a rate much lower than it would have otherwise cost us. We gave up a few things - not really very many - to pay for it all.

It's not about being "green" to me, it' the hundreds of dollars a month I don't have to spend.....which the government will take away from me instead. :rolleyes: Do I feel morally superior? Nope, just richer and able to stuff it to the loudmouths who think they're doing something importenat, like saving the California vultures...and the condors, too.

"I have been using the curly-que lights for several years, but they
generate a lot of heat and in spite of hype don't last significantly
longer than incandescents."

I bet you're buying the inexpensive, residential rated ones, Rod. Those have a life based on a 3 hour run time, rather than the 12 for the more expensive commercial rated ones. Run them longer than 3 or 4 hours, and there is a good chance that the heat will start to fry the electronics in them. And that is what shortens the life.

"I have been using the curly-que lights for several years, but they

generate a lot of heat and in spite of hype don't last significantly

longer than incandescents."

I bet you're buying the inexpensive, residential rated ones, Rod. Those have a life based on a 3 hour run time, rather than the 12 for the more expensive commercial rated ones. Run them longer than 3 or 4 hours, and there is a good chance that the heat will start to fry the electronics in them. And that is what shortens the life.

That being the case I don't need them and I sure don't want them.

If all else fails I have about a ten year supply of a lot of the incandescents I use and I can run them 24/7 for a couple of years. Switching them on and off shortens their life considerably.

I heard an ad on the radio about lead poisoning Bald Eagles here in Minnesota. I guess they get it from eating "gut piles" from harvested deer. Really?

# 1 Eagles are fish eaters.

# 2 Ya ain't supposed to shoot deer in the guts!

# 3 Most slugs don't stay in the deer!

Go figger,

Knarley

Bob, these anti-gun folks just make it up as they go along. Doesn't have to be true if they can make it dramatic enough. A lot of dumb asses will believe it.

Yup...Al Gore comes to mind.

GG

So back to my original question.... anyone have a suggestion as to what part of my attempted response to the article might have been "offensive...?" :huh:

You could go solar like I'm doing...if Michigan had any sunshine. :P

Seriously, I'm NOT a "person of greenness", but I've had a thermal coating (TexCote) on my house for almost 15 years, a thermal efficient roof for the same length of time, all Energy Star appliances except the dish washer, double pane vinyl framed energy efficient windows and door, 18 inches of Rock Wool blown in insulation in the attic, insulated hot water pipes and water heater, and now a solar electricity panel system (all america made Sun Power, three rows of seven panels each) is waiting for permits to be approved.

I have built two large patios on the west side of my house and one with a slatted roof over an existing sidewalk on the south side to cut down the amount of sun that clobbers us almost daily.

I have three roof mounted cyclone vents taking heat out of my attic nearly full time.

We have three ceiling fans in the house and are slowly converting to LED lighting in places where the incandescents are not decorative, like the hug bulbs over the bathroom sinks.

I have been using the curly-que lights for several years, but they generate a lot of heat and in spite of hype don't last significantly longer than incandescents.

I have removed nearly 350 square yards of lawn and flower beds and replaced them with concrete or crushed stone, saving a heap of water.

I have a Toyota Tacoma that will be 5 five years old the first of March with 24,500 miles on it. With a few modifications and sane driving it will get around 31 mpg. (The way I drive it gets about 15 mpg.) My wife's Saturn Ion is even more efficient and since she retired in June it gets even less use than my truck.

All of this has been spread out over 36 years and will still be paid out over the next twenty at a rate much lower than it would have otherwise cost us. We gave up a few things - not really very many - to pay for it all.

It's not about being "green" to me, it' the hundreds of dollars a month I don't have to spend.....which the government will take away from me instead. :rolleyes: Do I feel morally superior? Nope, just richer and able to stuff it to the loudmouths who think they're doing something importenat, like saving the California vultures...and the condors, too.

Just got a new notice from the South Coast Air Quality Management District offering me $200.00 (or $400.00 if I'm "poor") towards a qualified low emission fireplace that burns natural gas. I have half a mind to pull out the gas log I put in in 1978 and upgrade it.

Maybe I'm "poor" because we are living on our Unsociable Insecurity now.

I think I'll go for a $400.00 rebate, put the new gas log in, wait a week or so and take it out and put the old one back and sell the new one for $200.00 off list price.

Archived