SASS Wire Forum

It makes perfectly good sense...NOW!

Dutch Wheeler

My Marlin 1894 Cowboy has had intermittent FTF issues for the last 6-8 weeks. One weekend, no problems, the next weekend, issues. Pulling the hammer back a second time would always send the round down range. I lightened the hammer spring early last year, so I had been adding washers to the spring hoping it would help.

I was up to three washers, and last Saturday I had about six FTF,... ON JUST ONE STAGE! I decided it was time to finally install a one-piece firing pin, which I ordered from Long Hunter Shooting Supply on Sunday.

Package arrived promptly today, and when I drove out the roll pins, my Marlin "two-piece" firing pin came out... IN THREE PIECES!!! :huh::( Explains why I was having FTF issues! Duh...

Just because your firing pin rattles when you shake the bolt, don't assume all is well. By the looks of the dirt where it was fractured, I believe it has been broken for quite a while. I should be able to shave off a few seconds this weekend! :D :D

It always happens that way to me too.....it only makes sense AFTER you suffer a little bit. I'm glad you found out the problem.

Just a follow-up to my original post...

Shot with the Greene County Cowboys today, which is the first time I shot my Marlin 1894 with the one-piece firing pin. OMG! What a difference! Today was the smoothest that rifle has run since I got it, PLUS with the new pin, they all went BANG! :):)

Any of you Marlin owners out there, that have not upgraded to the one-piece pin, do not hesitate like I did. I wish I had done this a long time ago!

Archived