SASS Wire Forum

Henry Repeating Arms opening facility in Wisconsin

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Henry Repeating Arms dates back to 1860 when Benjamin Tyler Henry invented and patented a repeating rifle during the Civil War."

Damn lie. No connection to the original Henry rifle. Was no Henry Repeating Arms back then, Henry rifle was made by the New Haven Arms Co, partly owned by shirt manufacturer Oliver F. Winchester. And B.T. Henry did not invent it, only modified an existing design (although his mods did make the proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_rifle

"Henry Repeating Arms dates back to 1860 when Benjamin Tyler Henry invented and patented a repeating rifle during the Civil War."

Damn lie. No connection to the original Henry rifle. Was no Henry Repeating Arms back then, Henry rifle was made by the New Haven Arms Co, partly owned by shirt manufacturer Oliver F. Winchester. And B.T. Henry did not invent it, only modified an existing design (although his mods did make the proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear).

Oh what a travesty..

Call the person who wrote the article and submit a correction then.

GG

Whaaa whaaaa GET OVER IT !

And the Last Two builders of Winchesters was family members of Oliver Winchester also right .

I love my Henry 22, and I love their dedication to making sure their guns are American MADE, not just American assembled

Most of us CAS shooters know this but how about the thousands (millions?) that don't know. It's bordering on fraud! I do not care for any of the Henry products, I had both of their .22 rifles and they both were crap. I've seen a few shooters with the Big Boy and they all had nothing but problems. Myself, I have no use for anything made by Henry. Just cause it's an American company don't mean I'm gonna buy "junk"!!!

Rye :ph34r:

Most of us CAS shooters know this but how about the thousands (millions?) that don't know. It's bordering on fraud! I do not care for any of the Henry products, I had both of their .22 rifles and they both were crap. I've seen a few shooters with the Big Boy and they all had nothing but problems. Myself, I have no use for anything made by Henry. Just cause it's an American company don't mean I'm gonna buy "junk"!!!

Hogwash...Henry 22s are excellent. The HBB is OK...maybe not the best choice for CAS....

they are obviously a successful company and sell hundreds of thousands of rifles to satisfied customers....but hey don't let the facts get in the way.

GG

They have a very talented gunsmith working for them that is also a fairly new SASS shooter. He is working on the rifles in Rice Lake and is now starting to shoot with a Big Boy. His intention is to figure out what to do to make the BB perform. Improvement from Henry, for SASS shooters, is in the works.

Hogwash...Henry 22s are excellent. The HBB is OK...maybe not the best choice for CAS....

they are obviously a successful company and sell hundreds of thousands of rifles to satisfied customers....but hey don't let the facts get in the way.

GG

Maybe for you but the ones I owned were terrible! I have Win 94/22 that's shoots about 200X better! I can only go by MY EXPERIENCE not yours or anyone else!

Maybe for you but the ones I owned were terrible! I have Win 94/22 that's shoots about 200X better! I can only go by MY EXPERIENCE not yours or anyone else!

Right....for me and the tens of thousands of satisfied customers out there. Have you ever contacted Henry about your problem?

GG

GG

And Justin Bieber sells millions of albums, proving that selling a lot of something alone is not proof that it is actually any good.

As a collector of Orginal Henry Rifles, I was also concerned about the use of the Name Henry, But I changed my mind once i bought my first 22 Henry and found it to be a very nice gun for the money and then after reading about the super service and surport from the factory I started to like the company more and more. Try calling the factory on other makes and ask to speak with the owner and see how far go get and also if you had a issure with a Henry before did you get surport and were you treated right? I dont own any stock in the company now do I know anyone there.

A few years ago, My wife wanted a small rifle and she bought a Marlin 357 lever gun that was ported. We took it to the shooting range and new out of the box it jammed over and over and it took ten men to work the action. After a while She walks over to the trash barrel and throws the new $550.00 Marlin in the trash barrel and with the words"Thats where that peice of s--- belongs. I dont hear this about Henry. And how about Remington today?

As a businessman Myself, I know about startup cost and research and development, and a million things that are involved in starting up and new business and that goes ten fold for any gun business with todays laws. Say what You want, But to be respected You must also be fair and give credit where its due. Hell how many things do You know off that started out problem fee?????????????. And how many compangs do you remember that started out and never made progress nor corrected their product, I recall a heck of a lot myself and some took despoits and never give a thing in return. I can respect a man or compant that in the start made mistakes but worked hard to overcome them and made things right in the long run. I know from Personal experence My company didnt start out at the top it took years to grow.

This is the way I see it. Henry and any other company that starts out today in this screwed up business world that strives to do a better job as time goes on has My respect. I see no shame in starting small and in time moving on with new and improved and better products and at the same time standing behind their past products. I would be willing to bet that if I had a problem with the new reporduction of the orginal Henry made by Henry today, I could call the factory and things would be made right fast and as far as price goes, I would expect the price to adjust as more guns are sold. I notice the price around $1,800.00 now.

Would one be willing to pay more for a American Gun? Thats all up the the person himself or herself. Some may and some may not be able to but remember in time a gun will hit the used market and then perhaps some can pick it up cheaper. I fully would expect in the future, Henry will offer other models and as far as a Winchester 66 goes, The Henry is so close to it already in making the Henry that only a few changes would be need to make a Model 66.

I think its going to be intereting just to sit back and see whats next.

Your Pard, Texas Man

And Justin Bieber sells millions of albums, proving that selling a lot of something alone is not proof that it is actually any good.

LOL....uh yeah...That's a great comparison. :wacko:

GG

I will throw in with Rye. I have owned two Henrys and didn't care for them. One had to go back for a new barrel. They did take care of it though so give them a thumbs up for customer service. My son is shooting the one that was rebarreled until he turns 13 then I will move him into a Marlin or Uberti 38.

I will throw in with Rye. I have owned two Henrys and didn't care for them. One had to go back for a new barrel. They did take care of it though so give them a thumbs up for customer service. My son is shooting the one that was rebarreled until he turns 13 then I will move him into a Marlin or Uberti 38.

Sounds good...I'll throw in with the other pards in SASS land who have had no issues with their Henry's :D

GG

Maybe Henry should start making Marlin 94 clones in Wisconsin. The biggest gripe I have against the big boy is the lack of a loading gate.

that would be cool....but I think that even if Henry made a perfectly working rifle for Cowboy Action Shooting there will still be those naysayers and grippers so it is what it is...I reckon the last thing I will say is I hope Henry does well and continues to produce good products for the industry overall.

Over and out :D

GG

I have a Winchester 9422 that stubbornly refuses to stop double feeding, even after 3 trips to the gunsmith.

I have a Henry 22 lever action that works perfectly. As a firearms instructor, I have put it in the hands of hundreds of new shooters, and they have fired umpteen thousand rounds through it. It keeps on plugging along, no muss, no fuss, and accurately, to boot.

I don't wish Winchester ill because of one rifle, or the fact that they are owned by someone other than their namesake.

And I even applaud Henry for their cheesy television advertising efforts. I sure wish they'd talked to me, before they finalized the Big Boy, though!

We're all on the same side here, folks.

Cheers,

FJT

Right....for me and the tens of thousands of satisfied customers out there. Have you ever contacted Henry about your problem?

GG

Nope, sold 'em both and bought a Winnie! I don't wish Henry any ill will but I just personally don't like their guns. Just MHO.

Rye

GG

The popularity of Henry's may be more of a local thing as I don't see that many for sale around here.

I've had two, the first one I traded with an extra $50 to a second with some of the prettiest wood I'd ever seen. Super smooth, nice little gun.

You could give someone a new Rolls and they would complain that it wouldn't fit in the garage.

taint a perfect world.

cept me of course, har!

pb

G.G. and M.M.M.

I fail to see why you are so defensive about Henry.

I own a some guns that some might consider to be junk or evil. It actually brings me pleasure as it leaves me more to buy at a cheaper price.

The beauty of the situation is having freedom of choice although I just hate seeing a less informed consumer being mislead by deceptive advertising and outright lies.

G.G. and M.M.M.

I fail to see why you are so defensive about Henry.

I own a some guns that some might consider to be junk or evil. It actually brings me pleasure as it leaves me more to buy at a cheaper price.

The beauty of the situation is having freedom of choice although I just hate seeing a less informed consumer being mislead by deceptive advertising and outright lies.

Grumble till you're blue in the face but the reality in fact is the company is successful and has many happy customers nationwide plus some.

GG

Grumble till you're blue in the face but the reality in fact is the company is successful and has many happy customers nationwide plus some.

GG

Well ok if you say so. Just don't understand why you are so defensive of them. Do you own stock or work for them?

Like I said it just leaves more guns for you to enjoy.

Well ok if you say so. Just don't understand why you are so defensive of them. Do you own stock or work for them?

Like I said it just leaves more guns for you to enjoy.

I'm not sayin' anything but what is known fact...companies sales speak for itself. Great to see the company rebound after Hurricane Sandy too.

Don't own stock or work for 'em...just one of the thousands of happy customers that like their product and support American made where I can.

BTW guy: not defensive about anything. Just supporting a good product that supports the 2nd Amendment and the firearm industry. If you have a problem with that...well...that's your problem ;)

GG

I'm not sayin' anything but what is known fact...companies sales speak for itself. Great to see the company rebound after Hurricane Sandy too.

Don't own stock or work for 'em...just one of the thousands of happy customers that like their product and support American made where I can.

BTW guy: not defensive about anything. Just supporting a good product that supports the 2nd Amendment and the firearm industry. If you have a problem with that...well...that's your problem ;)

GG

Amen Brother :)

.BTW guy: not defensive about anything. Just supporting a good product that supports the 2nd Amendment and the firearm industry. If you have a problem with that...well...that's your problem ;)

GG

Wow! Talk about taking a cheap shot. Senator Joseph McCarthy would be proud of that one. Since the maturity is gone from this discussion it is time for me to move along.

As I stated earlier in another thread about the 1860. "I shoot with a cowboy who makes them in the new Henry factory". I didn't know but am pleased. He works in the Rice Lake plant. I could care less what they're making but do like the new Henry 1860 and will probably buy one. Rice Lake is about 40 miles North of me and although I am retired I feel any new business, especially a "gun manufacturer" is wonderful. I read the wire almost every day and am amused that no matter what is addressed, some people complain. I think they're not shooters, sportsmen, collectors or anything. I think they are for the most part lonely pathetic souls that for one reason or another comment just to be a part of something bigger than their miserable selves.

.BTW guy: not defensive about anything. Just supporting a good product that supports the 2nd Amendment and the firearm industry. If you have a problem with that...well...that's your problem ;)

GG

Wow! Talk about taking a cheap shot. Senator Joseph McCarthy would be proud of that one. Since the maturity is gone from this discussion it is time for me to move along.

adios

GG ~ :FlagAm:

As I stated earlier in another thread about the 1860. "I shoot with a cowboy who makes them in the new Henry factory". I didn't know but am pleased. He works in the Rice Lake plant. I could care less what they're making but do like the new Henry 1860 and will probably buy one. Rice Lake is about 40 miles North of me and although I am retired I feel any new business, especially a "gun manufacturer" is wonderful. I read the wire almost every day and am amused that no matter what is addressed, some people complain. I think they're not shooters, sportsmen, collectors or anything. I think they are for the most part lonely pathetic souls that for one reason or another comment just to be a part of something bigger than their miserable selves.

Well Said !

Archived