SASS Wire Forum

Plastic Crud in my barrel

Shotgun Bandit

I sort of neglected to clean my 97 for a L O N G While and have a Bunch of that plastic build up in my barrel......Is there an easy way to get rid of it ?????............Thanks Bandit

Put a plug in the barrel and fill it with window cleaner (without the ammonia is preferred). Let soak a few minutes, then run a patch or bunch of toilet paper, paper towels, etc, though it. The plastic should come out like a snake skin.

You can spray window cleaner carefully down the barrel, let it soak for a minute or so, then fire a couple of rounds through it and VIOLA, all the crud goes downrange!!

Hot water also works well. Plug the end. Pour hot water down the barrel (the hotter the better). Let stand a couple of minutes. Shove a tornado brush through and the plastic goes right along with it.

For smokeless rounds, Gun Scrubber or other bore solvent is the conventional way, and a tornado brush to help it work.

Good luck, GJ

Ballistol diluted 1 to 10 with water also works fine. No need to burn yourself with hot water or scrub with a brush.

Plug the chamber with wadded paper towel, spray or pour enough mix into the barrel to coat everything, then plug the muzzle with another wadded paper towel. Let it sit 15 minutes and push the plugs through the bore and directly into a trash container. Finish with a pass of a Bore Snake to dry it out.

Use the regular old copper/bronze brush included with every two-bit shotgun cleaning kit ever made. Don't need any liquids, hot or cold or any solvent of any kind. About 6-8 strokes all the way through and back will make the barrel shine.

Fast and cheap.

Olen

Most times the above methods will work, but I still occasionally get the plastic coating from Hades that takes forever to get out. I think it has something to do with sunspots. :wacko:

Hot Murphy's mix works good. (that is a BP thing but melted plastic is melted plastic) 1/3 each Murphy's Oil Soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide. The hot Mix fizzes up and it lifts off the plastic. Let it fizz for about 30 seconds (hold the barrel over a bucket or trash can with a rag around it to keep from getting your hand burned. You DON'T want a brush as glops of goo will spray all over. Very bad. Just wad up 1/2 a paper towel and push it through. Heat melted it onto the barrel and heat plus Mix will get it loose again.

Scrubbing the bore with hot water brings to mind my treatment of BP fire arms. Wonder if sticking the Muzzle in a bucket of boiling (just taken off the stove and poured in the bucket) soapy water vigously pumped up and down the barrel with a bore mop would work. The super hot water heats the barrel enough that they generally dry to fast to rust. This is not to say ya should not immediately oil.

T7 Bore foam works better than anything I've tried (including winde ballistol eezox and various other concoctions and recipes). I need to try Lous recipe.

I guess the trick for you is something not too messy for a 97, unless its a takedown.

http://www.greentophuntfish.com/thompson-center-arms-t7-foaming-cleaner.html

A drill and copper brush with some of this wrapped around it will remove and shine the barrel in minutes.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/stainless-steel-standard-weight-scouring-pads-12-pack/579434.html

Archived