SASS Wire Forum

OTR Truck Driver?

Come On Christmas

I have always been a good driver. "Dude, let Tom drive, we will get home."

All kidding aside. I used to be a Driving Instructor. F-ing dangerous.

I have driven busses for 7 years and can parallel park one and drive backwards through a serpentine course. Had a fellow driver say, "I feel safe when Tom be driving." (Black guy) not that that matters.

Anyway. I have a B license. I looked into company paid driver training. One year commitment. Six days on one day oft . Akin to joining the French Foreign Legion for a year. Is there a more realistic route? I could do two weeks on and one week off for instance.

Crayfish

Unless you want to be an owner operator and set your own schedule, what you're looking for is very unlikely. Most company drivers are usually out 3-4 weeks, home 3-4 days.

If you're lucky and can get a dedicated route, usually determined by seniority, you might get a route where you're home every few days for a day or so, or maybe a 5 days on couple days off.

I did it for 7 months before a health issue took me out of the cab. It's not a life style for everyone, that's for sure!!

My neighbor had a driving job for a couple of years, he was gone a week and home a week, he liked it. He didn't need the money, just wanted to be doing something. There are driving schools around and most have good results placing drivers. I looked at driving pretty hard for a while and looked at Schneider for training, but was turned off by the language in their contract. I ended up with a route sales/delivery job for a wholesale sign supply company. I was out 2 days a week.

Held a class 'A', CDL for over 30+ yrs with a 'full' list of endorsements. OTR is not a good choice with a family back home.

What does your 'B' cover? Manual tranny or auto only, air brakes, any endorsements like passenger, tanker/HAZ-MAT, etc??

LG

I can drive standard. Don't think Texas has an endorsement for that. I had a P endorsement. They changed the law so you have to take another test and pay $25 thank you very much.

I can do the Air Brake dance and prefer them.

Think I keep my current Day Care Bus Driving Job. You don't quit a teaching job mid year. Children crave sameness even when they say they don't. I am a 59 year old retired teacher and get a retirement check each month as well.

Next academic year because of retirement rules I can drive again for Dallas County Bus and get overpaid due to my TRS good time. I will drive for them mornings and field trips under 20 hours a week.

Then drive/be a teacher for Children's Courtyard up to 30 hours a week. Always have weekends oft.

Due to the benefit Morass we all will have two 30 hour a weak jobs. Did you like how I dodged YoMama care?

I be too old to do the OTR thing. Needed to get talked out of it.

Crayfish

IF, you took your CDL driving test with an auto tranny then that's all you can use with your CDL.

IF, you took the test with a 'stick', then your good for both.

Get your 'tanker HAZ-MAT' endorsement, and you can deliver LPG or welding gases, water, etc.

LG

My son is a OTR driver/owner. He is gone ALL the time, basically lives in his truck. He hires a relief driver who goes with him. Both are single, so no family tie ups. He is under contract to a nationwide trucking company. He makes really good money, clears 100k+ a year. Just bought a new 2014 Kenworth, paid 140k for it! He can set his own schedule, but wants to stay on the road so in a couple of years he can buy another truck and hire a driver for it too.He says he thinks he can retire in 10 years.

I have always been a good driver. "Dude, let Tom drive, we will get home."

All kidding aside. I used to be a Driving Instructor. F-ing dangerous.

I have driven busses for 7 years and can parallel park one and drive backwards through a serpentine course. Had a fellow driver say, "I feel safe when Tom be driving." (Black guy) not that that matters.

Anyway. I have a B license. I looked into company paid driver training. One year commitment. Six days on one day oft . Akin to joining the French Foreign Legion for a year. Is there a more realistic route? I could do two weeks on and one week off for instance.

Crayfish

Retired from my pimary career . . . . ( early thank goodness ) . . . but in need of some income . . . . I looked around at whut wuz available . . . had occasionally driven big trucks . . . . . tried a couple of over the road jobs . . . . not for me . . . .did a couple of local area jobs . . . wuz Ok . but would get tired of working and quit. . .

Then I found a gig in Stockton Ca. just agricultural / seasonal hauling. I come up here in early July . . . move in the company's RV area . . . live here for FREE . . . run, run, run, . . . 6 and 7 days a week . . . . . tomatoes . . then grapes . . . .at end of October all DONE . . . everyone goes home. I play wild west for 8 months knowing that I have a job to go to the first week of next July.

Archived