SASS Wire Forum

3rd, 4th, and 5th Generation Short Strokes?

McCandless

I'm sure this must have been discussed sometime in the past, but a search doesn't bring it up for me... (I may be wording it wrong).

Can someone tell me the differences in the different generations of short-stroke kits? Does this change between maker, or is it an accepted nomenclature?

Thanks,

McC

Was using a first generation kit but it had a major crash and burn when the pivot pins fell out. It was replaced with a later generation unit which had spot welds holding pins in place instead of pin punch marks. I would say that as the builders improve the design they are called the next generation. By he way their super short stroke kit is awesome. I have no idea what generation 4 or 5 have that is different. :):)

Generally the terms were set by Cowboys and Indian products.

Each set was a little shorter stroke, with the exception of the 4th and 5th gen which are the same length.

The 4th gen came with a new lever as well as the links. The 5th gen did not need a replacement lever, but the 4th gen is easier for some folks to use as a "drop in" part.

Several folks make the kits, including Cowboys and India, Pioneer Gunworks, The Ottway Smith, and at least one on the East coast I'm not remembering right now. (sorry!!)

A few other smiths still modify the gun by making their own changes including possibly cutting and welding parts rather than using replacement links.

Generally the terms were set by Cowboys and Indian products.

Each set was a little shorter stroke, with the exception of the 4th and 5th gen which are the same length.

The 4th gen came with a new lever as well as the links. The 5th gen did not need a replacement lever, but the 4th gen is easier for some folks to use as a "drop in" part.

Several folks make the kits, including Cowboys and India, Pioneer Gunworks, The Ottway Smith, and at least one on the East coast I'm not remembering right now. (sorry!!)

A few other smiths still modify the gun by making their own changes including possibly cutting and welding parts rather than using replacement links.

And don't forget the "cut & weld" guns.....they seem to fall right between the 3rd and 4/5th. A pretty good length IMO.

Archived