SASS Wire Forum

SPF Winchester 97 Takedown

Tyrel Cody

Winchester model 97 Take-down Model C 30" barrel with matching serial numbers. Serial dates to 1898. Bought this thinking I'd cut it down and have it slicked up; just can't talk myself into doing it. Want $425 shipped to your FFL.

Pictures

TC, This Winchester 1897 is an antique, being Mfg. in 1898 and doesn't need to be shipped to an FFL. It is exempt and can be shipped straight to the buyer.

Any gun mfg before Jan 1st 1899 falls under this, saving the buyer costly fees with FFL's. Might help sell the Shotgun if buyers know this.

I'd buy it, but already have 7-8 of them. Try Outlaw Gambler in Wisconsin, he buys lots of them. Just sayin'

Jake

Q: What qualifies as an antique firearm?

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16) the term antique firearm means

any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica

is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term antique firearm shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

It looks like the last in 1898 was 64668. The cut off for antiques is the end of December in 1898. Here is a web site that may help. Doc. 11 deals with Model 1897 guns.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/files/images/wfa/2012-All/2012-Articles/Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year----2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf

For my own piece of mind this will be shipped to an FFL. That's the exact price I paid for it and had it shipped to my FFL. Not trying to make any money here just don't need it taking up space in the safe. Thanks for looking and thanks for the advice and/or help.

Doesn't the buyer need to have a CR License if it is shipped to him? When did the law change on two individuals shipping firearms across state lines? What'd I miss?

A firearm would be C&R eligible if it is over 50 years old. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT CAN NOT HAVE STRICTER RULES like CA.

If unsure CALL! Every time I have called for clarification on something, I have been treated with courtesy and respect.

A firearm would be C&R eligible if it is over 50 years old. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT CAN NOT HAVE STRICTER RULES like CA.

If unsure CALL! Every time I have called for clarification on something, I have been treated with courtesy and respect.

That may be a general guideline, but it does not always apply.

Some people are surprised to learn that there are some newer guns that make the list. The CZ82, for example, is on the BATFE's C&R list. This just 30 years after it was introduced.

The BATFE publishes a C&R list, which is pretty easy to consult if a person would prefer not to put in a call to the BATFE.

Seems that my Las Vegas side got the better of me. Rather than saying "I'm in", I should have said, "I will take it."

I took it and check is in the mail. I don't work and play well with others.

Nasty Nels

Archived