SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about getting a 380 semi auto. Any suggestions?

Hoss

If you can see the tiny sights or find on with bigger sights the 9mm makarov shoots where aimed and packs more wallop that a 380. Has a positive block hammer drop safety absolutely safe to carry with one in the pipe. Down side other than sights a really heavy pull need to pull back slide to load. Score my man by default when my sister want a cheap handgun. Less than $100 in shotgun news way back when. She had hard time racking slide. Thus I got a mak

Had a chance to fire two mags thru my new Bersa. Wow!

The recoil is very light and manageable and easy to keep/bring back on target. Didn't really try for any accuracy as it was raining pretty good at the time, but right now, it seems like a real keeper.

Gotta agree with Buffalo Buck, Walther PPK/S is what I carry when I'm not carrying one of my S&W Bodyguard .38 specials. The Walther fits my medium sized hands well, with one proviso. If you're particularly fleshy in the web of the hand between thumb and forefinger, the PPK/S can pinch the extra skin that gets under the hammer when the slide comes back. YOU REALLY WANT TO AVOID THIS!!!!!!! The stainless Walther I have was made by interarms in the USA and exhibits excellent workmanship, and has absolutely NEVER failed to operate, even with cruddy ammo.

If you can find one a Colt Pony pocketlite is my personal favorite. If your going to carry it in your pocket I highly recommend a double action only pistol. My favorite sister in law has a new S&W Bodyguard 380 semi auto with laser which I have shot and it's way cool, but I already have theColt and my better half would just snitch it anyways. :):)

Gotta agree with Buffalo Buck, Walther PPK/S is what I carry when I'm not carrying one of my S&W Bodyguard .38 specials. The Walther fits my medium sized hands well, with one proviso. If you're particularly fleshy in the web of the hand between thumb and forefinger, the PPK/S can pinch the extra skin that gets under the hammer when the slide comes back. YOU REALLY WANT TO AVOID THIS!!!!!!! The stainless Walther I have was made by interarms in the USA and exhibits excellent workmanship, and has absolutely NEVER failed to operate, even with cruddy ammo.

I had an Interarms PPK/S years ago and it did pinch the web. I now have the newer PPK/S made buy S&W under licensed from Walther. It has a longer "beaver tail" that prevent the pinch. Mine is stainless steel and is one of my favorite guns. James Bond carried one and he had a 00 number.

hey hoss get with me the next shoot with the pistoleros and I will let you shoot my ruger .380 to see if you like it

bufe coker

will do, and welcome to the wire!

"I just bought a Bersa Thunder .380, after considering the Sig P238 (too
much $$$$$), the SA XDm polymer .45 (again, at $650, too expensive),
Colt Pocketlite (rare as hen's teeth and spendy), and the Ruger LC 380
(a real contender). What decided it for me was all the positive reviews,
both here and other sources, saying how good the Bersa was."

I second that! Money isn't really a consideration on a defensive pistol.

My SIL has had a Berrsa 32 for over 20 years. No complaints. Wife carried a PP in 32. So, I picked her up a Bersa .380 (for under $300).. She loves it. Has a matching 22 for practice.

At various times, I've had several pocket pistols. I like the Walther PP, the Colt Pocket Hammerless and the HK4. The HK can be found in 4 calibers (if you're lucky: 22, 25, 32,& 380--If you are REALLY luckey, you can get it in all four as a package. The Colt points the best naturally. Walther is the heaviest.

I would not feel under-gunned with a BERsa or the HK. (I don't go looking for fights and only will use mine to get away)

Bought a Ruger LC for my wife, after shooting, have buyer's remorse. She didn't like the very long trigger pull and it kicks a bit much for her as the gun is pretty light. She really likes my Walther PPK, so it has just become hers. Like many other posts here, recommend that you shoot it first before buying.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Wound up buying a Sig Sauer P238. Really like it. It's a fine pistol, recoil very manageable, and I hit what I'm aiming at. My wife shot it today and she likes it much better than her SW 38 air weight. Probably going to sell the SW and get her a Sig.

Sig has several models of the 238. range from 500 to 800. As it is a carry gun for me, I got the plain Jane model, but they do have some really nice looking "fancy" ones as well.

I paid 525 for it at a gunshow, thought it was a pretty good deal, then I saw one today at Academy for 499.99!

Couple of weeks ago I saw one a Cabelas for 575 or so. Cabelas also had a used LCP for 300, and a brand new one for 299.99! Go figure!

Three more boxes of the cheap stuff through the Kahr P380 and still not one failure. My oldest daughter has my Colt SS Mustang so I can not put it on the scales but did consider it as a very heavy pistol compared to the Kahr. Normally weight doesn't matter to me UNLESS I am carrying in a light weight jacket pocket or under other conditions that weight might cause sagging of the garment. I carried that Mustang as a holster gun many times in the field and did love it. It was enough gun to be considered a fun shooter also, where as guns like the tiny Kahr are first and foremost for carry much more so than recreational use. I am now even thinking about looking at one of the S&W .40s in an appropriate size to fill the place that has always been occupied by my Colt Officers Model. The triggers on these new DA only autos has really become astoundingly good when compared to the old 'exposed hammer' DA triggers I was used to!

PS: I never carry these small guns loose in a pocket that has anything in it other than the gun. A pocket holster is actually a much safer way to carry, concealed there.

Colt Mustang :)

Just bought a Kahr P380....took a while to find it. I have a S&W Bodyguard 380 that I've had for 2 years....it has that long trigger pull that is DA only with a hammer. The Kahr is a striker fired gun and the trigger is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the long DA hammer fired. The Kahr is actually a little smaller than the Bodyguard 380. I've fired a few different types of ammo through the Kahr with no problems. Even though the pistol is small the recoil is not bad at all...it's my new carry gun.

If your a budget minded person the LCP, Kel-Tec or S&W Bodyguard is the way to go. Sig and Colt are very nice but a bit pricey. I have several 380's and the LCP is easy to carry and conceal.

My two cents

Carbinecasey

PS: stay away from anything that has Taurus on it, absolutely the worst and unsafest gun company out there!

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the Taurus guns. I have a Taurus TCP 380 that is excellent. It has a much better trigger than the Ruger and SW 380s and it functions flawlessly. The only downside to it are the tiny sights. I helped the situation a bit by painting the font sight with an industrial paint marker in day-glo orange.

El Vasco

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the Taurus guns. I have a Taurus TCP 380 that is excellent. It has a much better trigger than the Ruger and SW 380s and it functions flawlessly. The only downside to it are the tiny sights. I helped the situation a bit by painting the font sight with an industrial paint marker in day-glo orange.

El Vasco

I'm glad we live in a country where we all have opinions and it is good that you have a Taurus that functions and operates, and several people on here may have the same assessment and agree with you, but I have had three Tauruses and of the three all have been sent back to the factory for repairs none of which where the fault of the owner, (me). Ruger, Beretta, Walther, Kahr, Bersa and Kel-Tec in .380 have never failed me and I can continue this list with some of the cheapies that have never failed (Hi-Point to drop a name). But when protecting myself and my daughter it won't be done by using a company that has a enormous rate of repairs, failures and malfunctions. I'm sure the man wanting a .380 in this post feels the same. My opinion and safety matters!

Carbinecasey

Interesting to see if Glock rolls out a U.S. made .380 at SHOT. Carry an LCP every day, sometimes as primary; sometimes as secondary.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Wolf, I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.....Glock does make a .380 and has for a while. The US government in its "wisdom" decided that this one can't be imported due to not scoring enough points on some import criteria. The only folks that can have a Glock in .380 in the US are police. I've read that the Glock 380 frame size is the same as a 9mm so size wise its the same but it would have the Glock striker fired trigger which is SOOOOO much better, IMHO, than the long heavy trigger pull for the DA hammer fired ones for the LCP, Bodyguard, P3AT...etc. It took me a while and a lot of looking to find out that the Kahr P380 is striker fired....so I just bought of of them. It is small and light and striker fired so it's my new carry gun.

Kajun

Wolf, I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.....Glock does make a .380 and has for a while. The US government in its "wisdom" decided that this one can't be imported due to not scoring enough points on some import criteria. The only folks that can have a Glock in .380 in the US are police. I've read that the Glock 380 frame size is the same as a 9mm so size wise its the same but it would have the Glock striker fired trigger which is SOOOOO much better, IMHO, than the long heavy trigger pull for the DA hammer fired ones for the LCP, Bodyguard, P3AT...etc. It took me a while and a lot of looking to find out that the Kahr P380 is striker fired....so I just bought of of them. It is small and light and striker fired so it's my new carry gun.

Kajun

The Glock 380 NOT for civilians ?

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g28

There is the DB380 ( Diamondback ) Glock Clone

You can Load and unload the Colt Mustang with the safety on also .

The magazines also interchange between the Colt Mustang and the Sig P238.

I carry mine with the Sig P238 7 round Mag .

It has the little black plastic end on it.

It looks good with my Blued Colt Mustang with the black grips.

I load it with 8 rounds of Hornady critical defense ammo .

Carry it in a Jack ass leather shoulder holster with a extra mag.

I am NOT saying this is the best choice out there .

Its the best choice for me .( Concealed )

When I dont have to keep my Gun so concealed . ( Like At Work )

I carry the Ruger 1911CMD 45acp :wub:

I'm caught between a Ruger SR 1911 and the Ruger CMD. Can you tell me why you chose the CMD over full frame, or were your considerations just for carry?

Thanks

Forgot to mention, I have the Ruger LCP and am looking into getting a Bersa Thunder. I don't have large hands, but I like the feel of the Bersa better than the LCP. However for carry the LCP is at the top IMO.

Capt

Kahr is a pretty good company and their .380 and 9 mm models are fairly inexpensive if you opt for one of the cheaper models that have conventional rifling. I don't care for recoil bite that some of the micro pistols have, besides the tiny sights and poor triggers. Ruger adapted their LC9 to .380 (LC380) to make them more comfortable to shoot. The Colt Mustang and the Sig 238 are kinda neat, but I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm for way less than either of those. Nice sights, trigger and you can shoot it all day if you choose.

The Glock 380 NOT for civilians ?

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g28

There is the DB380 ( Diamondback ) Glock Clone

I have not heard good things about Diamondbacks...not reliable. Of course I'm sure that there a few folks on the Wahr that'll swear by their Diamondbacks and if they have one of the "good" ones then I'm glad for them. I looked at the Diamondback but opted for the Kahr.

Kahr does have a newer more economical version of the P380 called the CW380 and it is just now shipping. I think the price for it is around $350 and the P380 is close to $600. I opted for the P380 because it has a better barrel and a few other improvements over the CW380. If's my carry gun and the price difference isn't a factor....at least for me anyway.

I'm caught between a Ruger SR 1911 and the Ruger CMD. Can you tell me why you chose the CMD over full frame, or were your considerations just for carry?

Thanks

I have them both.

I have carried them both.

I just like the 3/4 0f an inch shorter barrel on the CMD.

Both of mine are 100% reliable .

Concealed I will take my CMD.

Bug out situation I will take the full size.

Forgot to mention, I have the Ruger LCP and am looking into getting a Bersa Thunder. I don't have large hands, but I like the feel of the Bersa better than the LCP. However for carry the LCP is at the top IMO.

Capt

I've had my Bersa Thunder Combat about two weeks now and I've put maybe two hundred rounds thru it so far. It is easily my favorite modern pistol. It fits my hand, points well and shoots to point-of-aim. The LCP Will really bite you on the recoil. I bought four different holster for the little pistol and am in the process of evaluating them for CCW use.

+2 I have one of each blued and stainless nice little carry pistols. Well made and shoot where I aim! ;)

Spades H. :ph34r:

O.K. guys here is my professional opinion, if you want a modern day made gun I agree top of the line is a Kahr or a Kimber! However if you want pre-war quality plus precision try American made Remington model 51, or German made Ortgies, if lucky enough to find one at a gun show! All 3 fit the hand nicely, are compact, and easy to conceal. All function flawsly and that is what counts. Now if we are debating power .380 versus 9 M/M obviously the 9 m/m is more powerful. The Kimber solo is also American quality, smaller then the aforementioned weapons and is in the more powerful 9m/m. So 380 or 9m/m is what has to be decided. Than put a Kimber & a solo in your hand, or side by side, go to several gun shows and see if you can find the M51 or the Ortgies and try the same. You decide, deither way you will have a quality weapon, that will function reliably! Your life depends on it. BY the way either gun if you do not like the trigger pull, it can be worked on and adjusted to your likeing! Good times shooting is more fun than staying home on the couch.

I am literally carrying my little Kahr more and more. I have three kydex holsters fer the little fellow now, an IWB that I wear behind my strong side hip, a billfold pocket holster for the back pocket and a front pocket style holster. Even though all work very well for their intended purpose, I tend to most often simply drop it into a winter jacket pocket and drop an extra extended magazine into the left side pocket. With one in the chamber I am good to go with 14 rounds of 380 ball, nothing fancy on these little downloaded nines, just try to make some holes and figure things will be close enough that it will happen as part of a punch to the face.

PS: I live in the country and still find that far far more often I am armed with my favorite 1911 Officers Model, even as I type this it is on my belt. The 380 is that alternative to going unarmed on those few occasions that I need the ultimate in concealment for minimal clothing. The little micro .22 revolvers are the only thing I can imagine would be more easily hidden.

PPS: One last carry alternative is a tiny kydex holster that can hang from a string around the neck, under a T-shirt. I just can not get comfortable with the idea of a gun pointed upwards, under my chin!

Just remember, never step in front of a Kahr! HAR HAR HAR HO HO HO HEE HEE HEE HMMM Uhhh my Kahr is smaller than your PFFFT HAR HAR HAR JEEEZ Glad we got that out of the way, I just couldnt wait any longer. If I get a chance I will try to figure how to post a picture of mine today. Funny how one of the better and more informative articles ended up in the classifieds?

I've been very happy with Smiths Bodyguard 380. The laser switch positioning and function is terrible but it has always shot well enough for it's intended purpose without using the novelty laser. It is very thin so pocket concealment in a Blackhawk pocket holster is very easy. It is light (11 oz. empty), and they are very inexpensive. Due to light weight they do have a nice bark with self defense ammo. I would say they are best suited to those with hands on the smaller side because of small grip. They have a long double action only trigger but it doesn't seem too heavy to me.....I haven't measured it. It is also equipped with a thumb actuated left side slide/trigger lock safety and combined with the DAO trigger, carrying with a round in the chamber very safe. It's a great summer CCH when clothing is light. I can't speak of any of the other small 380's since I really only saw the need for one and was happy enough with my first and only purchase of one. However if I have more clothing or it is winter time, you'll find me carrying a 45 ACP.

Archived