SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about getting a 380 semi auto. Any suggestions?

Hoss

I'm looking at getting a small frame 380 for pocket carry. Ruger LCP looks decent. Any thoughts on the Ruger, or suggestions on other? Most likely will carry in pocket holster, and will not carry with one in the chamber, so lack of safety on the Ruger not a concern.

Found a good deal on a Colt Pocketlite a couple months back; love it! The pocketlite is quite a bit heavier than the LCP so it handles recoil a bit better. I liked my LCP fine but sold it last week. My dad has a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard that we both like a lot and an LCP that is fine. He shot my pocketlite and bought one off gunbroker yesterday. Ill ask him if he wants to sell one of the others if you are interested.

I have no complaints with my Ruger LCP. Very reliable and easy to carry in a pocket holster. I had a KEL-TEC before this one and it was good too. I was looking at the Diamondback DB380 but it didn't get good reviews.

I went on a .380 kick two or three years ago and bought... well, several. ;) Due to being 5'16" with rather large hands, I found my preference to lean toward the larger framed .380's, like the Bersa Thunder and the Sig 232. But if you're going that route with a .380, you might as well go with a 9mm such as the Kimber Solo or maybe the Sig 290.

Most likely will carry in pocket holster, and will not carry with one in the chamber, so lack of safety on the Ruger not a concern.

The current crop of .380's universally have hammer or firing pin blocks, and the Ruger also has a looong rather hard trigger pull - it's intentional, for this reason, and to discreetly bring a Condition 3 pistol out of pocket and chamber a round without drawing attention is all but impossible.

I have a Original Colt Mustang Pocket light 380 .

Minni 1911 ,

Single action trigger . ( Short light pull ) :wub:

I had a Ruger LCP .

Nice gun.

Long hard trigger pull.

But thats what you need on a gun with NO safety.

Colt reintroduced the Mustang this year.

Price is good ,and Now they have a Composite Model .

I had a Ruger LCP .

Nice gun.

Long hard trigger pull.

But thats what you need on a gun with NO safety.

Not necessarily. As pointed out earlier, the new LCPs have a much shorter, nicer trigger pull. I found it quite attractive, and I hate double action triggers. Last I checked, though, the LC380 still has the old, heavy trigger, but that's a little large for pocket carry.

(The way to check if an LCP has the new or the old trigger: pull the trigger all the way back towards the rear of the trigger guard. If it stops before it reaches the rear, it's the new trigger. If it goes all the way back flush with the trigger guard/grip, then it's the old trigger.)

I've heard the Sig Saur P238's single-action trigger pull is fairly stiff, although short and pleasant. (And the website says it's 7.5 - 8 pounds.) I don't have any personal experience with the P238 though.

Carrying the LCP or most other modern pocket pistols in a pocket holster, there shouldn't be any safety concerns even with a round chambered. The trigger pull is long enough it's not going to get pulled by accident while sitting in that holster. (Just don't catch the trigger on anything while holstering.)

it's amazing with so many small 9mm's today why anyone would choose a 380?

in most the 380 has greater perceived recoil due to it being staright blowback vs locked breech

the 9mm is obviously more effective

the 9mm is cheaper which would equate to more time behind the gun

I have 2 Kahr 9mm's and they are the cats behind..... If you can-they can hit an 8" plate at 50 yards all day long and they have both been 100% from day one.

Go to a range that rents and try a Sig 230, a PPK, (blowback autos)...... then try a locked breech 9mm like the Kahr and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Hi Hoss!

I like my Colt Mustang .380, steel frame, blue, standard grip. This is one of the older, original runs of the Mustang. The Mustang is a M1911 look-alike, but with different intrnals. They made the gun with an extended grip for larger hands (also has a longer mag that accomodates one more round). They also made it with an alloy frame. Mine is the standard grip, it's very solid and's never failed to function .... never failed to chamber full metal jacket ammo or jacketed hollow points (I shoot Federal and Winchester) .... never failed to fire, never failed to eject, etc., etc. I carry it in an inexpensive pocket holster, which makes it invisible. I recently bought a very nice set of kingwood 1911-style checkered grips for it

I've also owned the Colt Government Model .380 (I have no idea what possessed me to sell it here on the wire a few years ago). It was a factory nickel-plated pistol with factory white grips. Extremely classy and beautiful. Slightly larger than the Mustang and equally reliable ... also a M1911 look-alike.

I have been pleased with the Colt's weapons and have only casually handled the new crop of .380's that have popped up over the last 8 years or so.

As you know, typically, any CCW weapons are for close encounters and I believe that the .380 will handle 99.5% of any issues that come your way. Also, I'm sure you will agree that something to consider if you are considering larger weaponis that anything past maybe thirty feet, depending upon the circumstances, might be difficult to justify as self-defense depending on whether it's election year at the DA's office. Also, I imagine that living in Texas, a permit is a routine, take-the-class-and-pay-the-fee process.

Howdy all, First let me say Dutch has a real good idea if it's possible that it.

Take advantage of shooting what ever your thinking before you buy it. I know of

one gun shop/range that offers this service. Rent and shoot it first, if it's in the

display cabinet you can shoot it for a fee. I'm not sure, but I think you would

have to purchase the ammo (no reloads). Asking a member to shooting theirs would

also be an option. I do plan to use their service and range as soon as I join.

"Liking a gun is one thing, but practice, practice, practice will make you love it" :wub:

Happy trails

Quick Draw Grandpa

Thanks Cat & others for the info. I do have Texas CHL, and daily carry a Bond Derringer in 45. Sometimes carry Ruger SP101 in 357. I've found I like a pocket gun for daily carry, but the Bond s a little cumbersome. Good hunk of Texas made steel though! The 9mm I have looked at are a little larger than the 380. I'm not worried about accuracy at a distance, more about point and shoot < 20'.

LG, I figured the classified would be a good spot for this because 1) folks on here buy and sell a lot, have knowledge that I'm looking for 2) somebody may have something to sell me.

Sorry if I offended you.

I was carrying a S&W Airweight in .38 but recently switched to a LCP. I shot 50 rounds without a hiccup and even did decent at 50 ft!!! This is a nice little gun and I didn't find the trigger too bad and recoil is tolerable, MUCH better than the Airweight.

LCP=Pocket Rocket!!!

Rye ;)

I have a Ruger LCP. I do carry it almost every day in a bulldog case that looks like a cell phone case.

My favorite 380 was a Colt Government.

My new favorite is Sig 238 Scorpion. Big plus to it is that you can load/unload it with the safety engaged.

As the weather is now a bit colder I carry it daily.

I also have shot a bunch oft he 380's I feel the top of the line is Sig p238. Add the pinky extension magazine and it makes the gun. I would agree with Colt on the Diamond Back.

I have a Ruger LCP. I do carry it almost every day in a bulldog case that looks like a cell phone case.

My favorite 380 was a Colt Government.

My new favorite is Sig 238 Scorpion. Big plus to it is that you can load/unload it with the safety engaged.

As the weather is now a bit colder I carry it daily.

I also have shot a bunch oft he 380's I feel the top of the line is Sig p238. Add the pinky extension magazine and it makes the gun. I would agree with Colt on the Diamond Back.

You can Load and unload the Colt Mustang with the safety on also .

The magazines also interchange between the Colt Mustang and the Sig P238.

I carry mine with the Sig P238 7 round Mag .

It has the little black plastic end on it.

It looks good with my Blued Colt Mustang with the black grips.

I load it with 8 rounds of Hornady critical defense ammo .

Carry it in a Jack ass leather shoulder holster with a extra mag.

I am NOT saying this is the best choice out there .

Its the best choice for me .( Concealed )

When I dont have to keep my Gun so concealed . ( Like At Work )

I carry the Ruger 1911CMD 45acp :wub:

The Hornady Critical Defense ammo is perfect for a .380. It will give you all you need in a self-defense round.

I just bought a Bersa Thunder .380, after considering the Sig P238 (too much $$$$$), the SA XDm polymer .45 (again, at $650, too expensive), Colt Pocketlite (rare as hen's teeth and spendy), and the Ruger LC 380 (a real contender). What decided it for me was all the positive reviews, both here and other sources, saying how good the Bersa was.

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect .380!

I went to the video testers on YouTUBE, the ones who were doing head to head tests with the little 'almost' clones .380s for my reference. It quickly became obvious that the Kahr was winning either first or second on every multi gun match up. I purchased mine and ran a 200 round test run break-in without a hitch. I have since had several limp wristed young ladies and their mothers :) try it out and it always works and all have loved it. I was crazy about my Stainless Colt Mustang but the Kahr makes a better CQ concealment gun. Sorry but by the time I go to the Mustang, its size and weight is to close to my Officers Model for me to give up the big .45 round. A bit of a stretch BUT if one wanted a .380 belt pistol I would give the Taurus '13 round' DA/SA .380 a nod. After many years of many rounds it never fails to fire, recoil is almost non existent and it feels good in the hand.

I seek as much outside input as possible for new purchases BUT have really come to appreciate the test videos on YouTube. A lot of them seem like a waste of time so look for the ones with actual shooting and handling footage and pay particular attention to see if they mention rounds fired and any stoppages encountered. Look for head to head and look for second place winners as many shooters will give apparent close calls to their favorite brand name product.

Personally. when I carry a 380 it is Remington Model 51 made 1919. very thin, 7 in the mag and one in the chamber, very ergonomic and with Slivertips dead on at 25 feet or less. But then I always favored Classic Cowboy when I shot SASS. It has been my 380 of choice for over 30 years.

I'm looking at getting a small frame 380 for pocket carry. Ruger LCP looks decent. Any thoughts on the Ruger, or suggestions on other? Most likely will carry in pocket holster, and will not carry with one in the chamber, so lack of safety on the Ruger not a concern.

Before buying the LCP I would recommend that you go shoot one. I wish I had...... <_<

If your a budget minded person the LCP, Kel-Tec or S&W Bodyguard is the way to go. Sig and Colt are very nice but a bit pricey. I have several 380's and the LCP is easy to carry and conceal.

My two cents

Carbinecasey

PS: stay away from anything that has Taurus on it, absolutely the worst and unsafest gun company out there!

Sorry but by the time I go to the Mustang, its size and weight is to close to my Officers Model for me to give up the big .45 round.

Must have washed and dried that Officers model a bunch. It is not even close in size or weight to Mustang.naly don't

A Mustang weights about 12.5 oz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Mustang

A Colt Officers weights about 34 oz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Officer's_ACP

Sorry about failing to give the model which is Kahr P380. A google and/or YouTube search will turn up enough information to keep you busy for a few nights! Here is the makers site page for the P380... http://www.kahr.com/pistols/kahr-p380.asp

Also Kahr makes a budget minded 380 based on their CW line of handguns. I have a CW 9 and its a sweetheart.

Carbinecasey

Walther PPK. Just because! :wub:

Also Kahr makes a budget minded 380 based on their CW line of handguns. I have a CW 9 and its a sweetheart.

Carbinecasey

I've been looking for anyone who stocks the CW380 and have yet to find anyplace that has them or could get them. I've went to 3 different gun shops and all of them said they could not get a Kahr CW380.

Kajun

Archived