SASS Wire Forum

!860 Henry 44.40 Military Rifle

Diamond_Jack

Never had one of these...any enlightenment would be appreciated on how it performs, problems, etc.. Got one at an estate sale, and upon examination found it had never been fired. The son that sold it to me said his daddy was into Civil War re-enactment and had just bought it before he died. I paid him $350.00 for it did I get a good deal? Also, can these be short stroked?

Thanks pards.

Diamond Jack, The Ultimate Cheater

Never had one of these...any enlightenment would be appreciated on how it performs, problems, etc.. Got one at an estate sale, and upon examination found it had never been fired. The son that sold it to me said his daddy was into Civil War re-enactment and had just bought it before he died. I paid him $350.00 for it did I get a good deal? Also, can these be short stroked?

Thanks pards.

Diamond Jack, The Ultimate Cheater

it sounds like you got a great deal but what are the markings on it.

GG

You didn't get a good deal, you got a fantastically tremendous deal!!

As far as a competitive gun, it really isn't. I shoot one but I'm far from competitive. It's a great rifle but not fast You can easily sell that for a hefty profit or trade it off.

I'll buy it for $500 + shipping. Nice profit fer ya!

Harvey

Who keeps looking for deals like this... without any luck........ ^_^

Howdy

Yes, you stole that one. Current MSRP on a brass framed Henry is $1399. The steel framed one goes for a little bit more. I bought my steel framed one about five years ago when it was on sale at Dixie Gun Works for $800, discounted $200.

The insides of the Henry rifle are the same as the 1866 and 1873 with the exception of no cutout on the carrier for the side loading gate. Some folks think it is heresy, but yes the same short stroke kits that can be put into a '66 or a '73 can go into a Henry. A Henry can be slicked up just as slick as a '73. There is no reason a Henry cannot be made to shoot just as fast as a slicked up '73, the only drawback is the Henry is much heavier because of the solid barrel and integral magazine.

The main thing to be aware of with a Henry is that special care needs to be taken when loading it. Never drop rounds straight down the magazine in a vertical position, always trickle the rounds in slowly at an angle . And allays maintain control of the follower, never allow it to slam down onto rounds in the magazine. Failure to observe these cautions can result in rounds firing in the magazine.

Henry Repeating Arms is now re-making the original 1860 only in 44-40. Mfg sug $2300.00. I shoot with a cowboy who works for them and he says they're sweet. Made in USA. fyi

Henry Repeating Arms is now re-making the original 1860 only in 44-40. Mfg sug $2300.00. I shoot with a cowboy who works for them and he says they're sweet. Made in USA. fyi

Duck!!

It could be hazardous to your health on this Wire to suggest that the present-day Henry Repeating Arms could "re-make" the 1860, given their lack of any meaningful connection to the original Henry.

LL

That's awesome...and so what if they don't have connection to the 'original' Henry. It's US made and a tribute indeed. Some folks need to get over it and applaud Henry....but old habits die hard :D

GG

Some folks need to get over it and applaud Henry....but old habits die hard

I'll get over it as soon as they remove their deceptive advertising from their web page. The exact same deceptive advertising that has been there for years. When they finally get honest and remove the baloney, then I will applaud them, not before.

I'll get over it when they get the price down to something at least six hundred dollars cheaper!! American made is all well and good, but $2300.00 is ridiculous!! And if they made it in .44 Russian it would be truly close to the original.

Driftwood is right about the false advertising thing too.

I'll get over it as soon as they remove their deceptive advertising from their web page. The exact same deceptive advertising that has been there for years. When they finally get honest and remove the baloney, then I will applaud them, not before.

Yeah....get over it...

Have you written to them...called them to express your POV because of your 'issues' with them?

What did they say?

GG

I'll get over it when they get the price down to something at least six hundred dollars cheaper!! American made is all well and good, but $2300.00 is ridiculous!! And if they made it in .44 Russian it would be truly close to the original.

Driftwood is right about the false advertising thing too.

Hmmmm...maybe a 'factory' C45S rifle offering could be wished for that would be close enough to the original in terms in terms of feel. It would REALLY appeal to CAS folks too and introduce the cartridge AND CAS sport. Yeah...marketing wise....it'd be the first C45S chambered rifle offered as a 'factory' availabile firearm.

That just may be something

GG

Archived