SASS Wire Forum

Homeland Security buying huge amounts of ammo

Litl Red

Forget about the Marine Corps new hats. This news hits HOME a bit closer.

It appears that Homeland Security is buying HUGE quantities of ammunition.

It seems they have already bought 360,000 rounds of hollow point bullets and 1.5 billion rounds in 2012.

The story is that the agency plans to buy even more, like 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition over the next four or five years.

http://rt.com/usa/dhs-ammo-investigation-napolitano-645/

From last spring. We had a lot of discussion on it at the time.

OK, but it's news to me. Maybe a few others as well.

So.........

Anyone who already knew about it....... Don't post in this thread? Is that what you're saying? :huh: JK....

Since it's been discussed, did anyone find out what impact the 1.6 billion rounds purchased in 2012 had on the lack of ammo our local gun stores didn't have to sell?

Did anyone figure out what percentage of the U.S. ammo industry's capacity 1.6 billion rounds is?

Anyone still care about the story enough to follow it up?

OK, but it's news to me. Maybe a few others as well.

So.........

Anyone who already knew about it....... Don't post in this thread? Is that what you're saying? :huh: JK....

Since it's been discussed, did anyone find out what impact the 1.6 billion rounds purchased in 2012 had on the lack of ammo our local gun stores didn't have to sell?

Did anyone figure out what percentage of the U.S. ammo industry's capacity 1.6 billion rounds is?

Anyone still care about the story enough to follow it up?

I was merely suggesting a search might turn up the old threads.

As Utah Bob is merely pointing this is very old news and has been thoroughly discussed on many forums on many occasions.

As ammunition has started to return to retail stores interest in the DHS conspiracy has lost traction although the Government's secret plan to hoard all of the 22LR remains a mystery

This is OLD PROPAGANDA !

Yes, there were a number of threads that pointed to the story back in the spring.

Any follow up? Any indications DHS did anything other than "explain"? Anyone still care about it or do you think that: We caught them, Told the citizens, and They Quit Doing It........

Was it really just propaganda made up to smear the DHS? ...just the imagination of a few crazies who think our gummit would do such a ludicrous thing?

BTW, there were a number of threads about it then. How many are allowed on a topic at one time? Because a lot of members back then started "redundant" threads on that one topic.

Any news about the DHS planning to not do it again next year? Or do we need to keep the pressure on?

I suspect that the shortage of .22 ammunition has a lot to do with the quantity buy from the consumers, the high rate of fire at the range, and the cost of setting up the presses to run, and the cost of brass for the cases. I do not know the marketing strategy

of the manufactures on the .22 vs High Power ammunition.

I, myself, usually buy in lots of 500 or so, I am not a high consumer of .22 rounds. Some folks will shoot that much in an

afternoon and even more. Not too long ago I attended a gun show. A fellow that was there selling ammunition. He is always

there with a good selection of calibers and a table full of ammunition. He made a comment to one of the customers that he

came in with a pallet of .223 ammunition at 8:00 A.M., and by 8:15 A.M. it was all gone. One fellow came in with a hand truck and bought a load of cans, filled with .223. Under such circumstances I can understand a shortage.

In light of the current situation with the government in DC, and shouts of gun control, I can also understand the reluctance

of an ammunition manufacturer to get too far out in front of the herd.

The great ammo shortage began after the Newtown shooting. Cries for stricter gun control and internet craziness caused such a rush that manufacturers simply couldn't keep up with demand. Obviously, neither DHS nor the military has any need for millions of rounds of 22 ammo. But I know guys who were buying up shipments of 50k at a time.

As manufacturers have stated, the govt contracts only make up a small portion of their sales. The 223 and 5.56 shortage wasn't from the jack booted thugs, it was panic buying. 9mm, 45acp, .380, .308, 320-06, and virtually everything was in short supply. Even stocks of surplus 7.62x54R got low. I doubt there was much buying of that Russki ammo by the feds.

And as has been pointed out on threads before by people who have some experience in govt purchasing procedures, a contract for a bazillion rounds is one thing,. actually buying it is another.

I remain watchful but relatively unconcerned at this point.

22 LR, 223, 9mm, 45 ACP are finding their way back to the shelves...

Got 2 bricks of 22 LR last week. Eley Sport brand...works fine in the 10/22

GG

Any news about the DHS planning to not do it again next year? Or do we need to keep the pressure on?

Who are this "we" you are talking about?

A lot of "we" have been fighting this battle since it started.

You said you didn't know about the Government purchase contracts when they were originally let back around the first of the year. Since that time a lot of battles have been fought and won on the Federal level and several major defeats on the State level.

A visit to TEAM SASS website might help bring you up to date on the fight for our gun rights.

Archived