SASS Wire Forum

sticky holster

Go West

Momma has one sticky holster and wondered what to do/use? I plan on sticking it in the sun with a piece of leather in it to make the pistol larger. Any readily available substance that would make it slick? We leave for Bordertown tomorrow! Thanks in advance.

The recommendation above will work for now, but when you get back, you might want to get your hands on this:

162513.jpg

Stuff is a little pricey, but a little dab goes a long way, and does the job well. You can order from Midway HERE.

Momma has one sticky holster and wondered what to do/use? I plan on sticking it in the sun with a piece of leather in it to make the pistol larger. Any readily available substance that would make it slick? We leave for Bordertown tomorrow! Thanks in advance.

This has worked for me reliably: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/691675/galco-draw-ez-holster-treatment-1-2-oz-bottle

SC

Guest Dusty Webster

Old leather workers used Neatsfoot Oil, I still do. Rub in a light coating and let dry. It will soften the leather.

If you want to custom fit it, then cover the pistol with plastic wrap, oil the inside of the holster, slip the protected pistol in and leave it like that for a day or two or more. The leather will stretch to the the pistol....or tennis ball as noted on the above post.

If you have natural leather, it will accept the oil more redially, black leather not so well.

The leather comes from Mexico now, and is cured with uretha.... SO never store your pistols in their leather.

KG-9.. works great. Use it the day before the match.......T-Bone

I got to get some from you Friday.

I had some around here. Went to use it and can't find it.

But know you have some in the shop.

spray silicone.

HH

Yup - it works perfect - asked the same question about a year ago. Make sure you get the food grade stuff..a little quick spray goes a long way.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Midway's price of $9.95 for the KG9 isn't a problem, but their shipping at $12.50 is! What's that about? is it a Hazmat product? ... RR

While all these products (EXCEPT NEATSFOOT OIL!) are okay, the best thing is to wet fit the holster to the gun. Run tepid tap water inside and outside the holster for about 15-30 seconds. Place the gun inside a plastic baggie, wrapped tightly around the gun. Insert the gun in the holster for a few hours. If really tight, use wooden dowels, with the end rounded off with a file or sandpaper, to expand the holster around the muzzle and ejector thumb piece and cylinder and trigger guard. Be sure to make a track from where the thumbpiece sits with the gun fully seated and the top of the holster. This prevents a pocket from forming around the thumbpiece and "trapping" the gun. After a few hours remove the gun and allow the leather to dry overnight. Periodically reinsert the wrapped gun in the holster and pull it back out. When the leather is completely dry, treat it with a VERY LIGHT coating of Lexol® Leather Conditioner. Spray on, wipe off.

KG-9.. works great. Use it the day before the match.......T-Bone

Yep..cuz ya don't want it on your hands the day of the match. :) I recommend/use it also!

Trairider said it best. that don't work put a thin rag on top (over) of the plastic bag.

Works for me

Or U can make some holster streachers. Out line your pistol and cut out of 3/4 board,

Then cut out a cylinder out of 3/4 wood. (2) use a screw to hold in place. and glue.

I use them when I make holsters all the time.

CCBA

Careful with the Silicone spray. I learned the hard way don't spray it before a stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3OmcFTwHk

Archived