SASS Wire Forum

OT - How brass is made ~ via Starline

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

Pretty neat video - I love manufacturing so this is of interest to me. Hopefully it will give an appreciation to those that make this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=74ssMmD_tXE

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Seems we hardly pay enough for those beauties, eh?

Well, the guy or gal shootin' the video probably is not one of the manufacturing hands. So, other than taking a little extra time one day to explain what they were doing, it probably didn't cut into production.

:lol:

GJ

Live about 45 minutes away and next door is Sierra Bullets which is another tour ta see :)

Well, the guy or gal shootin' the video probably is not one of the manufacturing hands. So, other than taking a little extra time one day to explain what they were doing, it probably didn't cut into production.

:lol:

GJ

Exactly...thought it would be a cool thing to post. To those saying they need to stop making movies and make brass...no comment. Starline does great and are even making the C45S casings again....Right on!

GG

Well that's neat. But they need to quit making movies and start making brass!

Didn't you hear him say they ship about 3,000,000 cases per week?

Sheesh!

I just got an order of 32-20 from Starline. It was out of stock when I ordered it and they shipped it exactly when they said they would. I am not aware of any other component manufacturer that can do the same.

Exactly...thought it would be a cool thing to post. To those saying they need to stop making movies and make brass...no comment. Starline does great and are even making the C45S casings again....Right on!

GG

Some people would not be happy even if you hung them with a new rope.

It's a pity all you astute know-it-alls don't know what a smiley face is. But ya'll have fun, keep digging at the wire participants. Keep showing what superior intellect you have.

Pretty neat video - I love manufacturing so this is of interest to me. Hopefully it will give an appreciation to those that make this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=74ssMmD_tXE

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Way cool!

Thanks for posting.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

If you viewed the video (I did), you will see that this is a total mechanical process on machines. These machines are set up differently for different calibers. This why they batch run everything.

Resetting up takes time and that particular operation is shut down. Same for preventative maintenance. Same for breakdowns.

Bottom line is that mfgrs like Starline run at THEIR peak effiency (which can be 24/7). I spent 40 years in this type of enviornment designing and building airplanes and spacecraft. Small operations like this never cease to amaze me in their effiency, quality control and production....especially at the price they sell their product for. years ago i took a tour of Sierra Bullets when they were still in Santa Fe Springs, Ca.and came away with the same impression.

Great job....Starline :)

Howdy

Yes, it is pretty much a completely automated process. It was a good video for what it was worth, but I would really have liked a peek inside the machines to see how they actually formed the brass at each step. More than they wanted to show. A couple of times I have come across a board showing the process from each step to make brass cartridge cases. I came across a couple at the Springfield Armory a couple of years ago. Close to 20 steps to make a completed cartridge.

Howdy

Yes, it is pretty much a completely automated process. It was a good video for what it was worth, but I would really have liked a peek inside the machines to see how they actually formed the brass at each step. More than they wanted to show. A couple of times I have come across a board showing the process from each step to make brass cartridge cases. I came across a couple at the Springfield Armory a couple of years ago. Close to 20 steps to make a completed cartridge.

maybe some things are proprietary.

GG

Kool Info .

Thanks Pard.

I was surprised the bought the stock already in cup form. I should have thought they would have bought great big spools of the proper allow and then run them thru a header to make the cups. The various brass manufactures must have a deal with the foundries to produce the cups, probably saves on shipping costs just paying for boxes vs the weight associated with large spools made of wood not to mention the volume

Archived