SASS Wire Forum

Last lead smelter in the U.S.A. closing down

Doc Flimshaw Sass# 73310

Hoo boy.....this blows chunks.

Just ordered a years supply for the 45 Colt. And now I don't feel like such a clown for having 2 tons of linotype holding down the storage locker.

Clamping down on them by the EPA results in sending the work across borders where more polution will be generated because of little or no regulation in other countries. There is one place that I know of where I can see a smelter in a foreign country from a US interstate highway. Their polution doesn't stay within their borders, it crosses to the USA.

Blackfoot

Amortized over the next 10 years it would increase the LME price of lead by about 1 - 1.5 cents per pound. Current LME is in the $0.95 to $0.99 range. Closing the plant means it costs less than 1 penny per pound of refined lead to ship the ore overseas and ship back lead ingots.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Man, that sucks!

And I reckon the EPA will have a party.

I know for damn sure that I will not be selling off my xxxx# of scrap lead now.

MG

On the other hand, this is what an industrialized country looks like in the absence of any kind of EPA:

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/10/super-smog-harbin-china/#1

IMHO, I don't want to see the air I have to breathe; but, if the US were to be fair, they would level the playing field and place an import duty on goods imported from polluting countries proportional to the cost of cleaning up their production and then use that revenue to subsidize the EPA related costs borne by similar American production plants.

Amortized over the next 10 years it would increase the LME price of lead by about 1 - 1.5 cents per pound. Current LME is in the $0.95 to $0.99 range. Closing the plant means it costs less than 1 penny per pound of refined lead to ship the ore overseas and ship back lead ingots.

I would like/love to 'Amortize' your job/career/life, or your children's job or even grandchilidren's! career! Yep, wouldn't even be a blip on the radar screen,, let alone a cent or two,,, not even value of spit on the sidewalk. NEXT!!

Before ASARCO's lead smelter shut down here in April of 2001, the welcome sign to our small town said, "Welcome to East Helena, home of one of five remaining lead smelters in the world". I worked there for 23 years. :(

The EPA can smelt this $#%^$ if it will fit in their smelting pots..

I remember back several yrs ago, when the heated debate about what was going to happen to gun rights and ammo cost/components before the first election of our current Pres.

Some on here called many of us fear mongers and chiken little sky was falling types then too for buying up stock piles of ammo and components. I don't see them posting their remarks of apology about being WRONG now..

And now the EPA is being used as the way around the Congress to crush the second amendment!

America wake up and smell the $%^& in the air before its too late...

Spades H

I would like/love to 'Amortize' your job/career/life, or your children's job or even grandchilidren's! career! Yep, wouldn't even be a blip on the radar screen,, let alone a cent or two,,, not even value of spit on the sidewalk. NEXT!!

I don't understand your comment. Or why it was pointed at me. All I was pointing out was that, while $100 million may seem like a large amount, the cost of cleaning up the smoke stack, based on the plants capacity, is really very small . There is NO real economic reason for Doe Run to shut down the plant based on the EPA requirement alone.

There have to be other factors involved in the decision. Factors we may never know because they are a privately held company. Looking at the amortized cost of the retrofit, it only makes direct economic sense if the cost of transporting the ore overseas and shipping the ingots back is less than a penny a pound and their overseas plant(s) have excess capacity. If the cost is higher than that, then they made the decision for other reasons. Given there were other reasons, they were going to shut the plant down sooner or later. In fact, it had already shut down its Glover facility because of overcapacity.

Archived