SASS Wire Forum

Antique Shotgun Rod

Come On Christmas

My buddy and I both bought two of these here Antiquated Shotgun Rods oft Ebay. Where would a body buy 12 gauge brushes and the like?

The thread is like half way betwixt the modern shotgun fitting and the more or less standard rifle fitting.

Here is a picture of it

http://bit.ly/1b7vjwA

Thanks,

The Great Crayfish

An odd thread brush is probably no longer available.

I'd suggest finding a willing gunsmith who could turn you an adapter out of a chunk of brass. One end male threads to fit your tip on the old rod. Other end female to fit modern standard shotgun brush threads. If you take either the rod or an old brush with the odd threads to the smith, he will measure diameter and thread pitch and know how to thread the adapter. Might cost you $15 bucks or so unless he's a pirate.

Good luck, GJ

I have old rods like that. If yours is US in origin, say by Marbles, I think you'll find that it will accept common modern shotgun accessories with a thread size of 5/16 x 27. If there are no nearby gunshops, try Brownells.com, who'll also have a variety of adapters.

If it's Parker-Hale or another UK brand, things are stickier. Brit threads like to differ from US ones by one tpi or so. Best plan is to visit the oldest gunshop in your area and try what they have for fits.

I wonder if they have one for a rifle. I saw in the Ebay add that there is a slight curvature. Seems like my rifle has a bent barrel as I keep on missing those pesky targets, maybe one of these would be just the ticket for cleaning it :D

Archived