SASS Wire Forum

Looks like Boston and St.Louis in the series

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad that the series is tainted by a tough call and controversial call.

Game three will probably be more infamous than game seven could ever be.

Sorry, gotta disagree.

The interference rule is clear; the base path belongs to the runner unless an opposing team member has possession of the ball and is making a play on the runner. Intent does not count. If you don't have the ball, you gotta get out of the runner's way. Clearly the interference/obstruction in this case was not intentional, but that is not a factor for the umpires to consider.

So making the correct call cannot taint a game or a series. Making the correct call upholds the integrity of the series. Unusual, rare, heartbreaking for Boston, but it was the right call.

And I would say that even if the teams had been reversed. That's a good crew of umpires out there.

So true, J Bar, but you know that this will rub the wrong way on a lot of baseball fans and there will be

criticism of the official ruling. I agree that the call was correct and that the runner has to have a clear

path to the bases. But since when has reason overcome emotional involvement.

Had the call gone the other way, against the Cardinals, I would hope that I would have accepted it.

Disappoint for sure, but, would have accepted it, and not been vocal about it.

Our Boston fans and friends have been gracious about it and I salute them for it.

I don't think it was the right call but I'm a Sox fan so.....

I watched that video a buncha times from several angles;

The pressure was really on Jarrod; which explains why he threw such a crappy...throw to Middlebrook who falls, runner trips over him. Ok, I get the interference thing but geez, the guy fell, ok? Then, while they're BOTH trying to get out of each other's way, they fall over each other AGAIN. The article I read this morning makes a deal out of Middlebrook 'raising his legs' I saw that last night and it sure looked to me like the guy was trying to get up/out of the way rather than trip him. Then Craig makes it home,, NEVER TOUCHES THE PLATE....AND....GOT TAGGED BY JARROD ON THE LEG!!! and the Ump still called it good. At least that's what I saw.

One thing's for sure, game 4 is gonna be...WOW!!!

I was fortunate enough to attend the Wendelstedt Umpire School several years ago and I know a few of these umpires. In fact, the home plate umpire last night (Dana Demuth) was one of my instructors. That said, I can say with certainty the correct call was made and in the correct manner. One thing people don't understand about obstruction (and it's obstruction NOT interference) is physical contact doesn't even have to be made. If a fielder causes the runner to change his path (say for instance the shortstop is in the way and the runner coming from second moves a little to get around him) that is obstruction.

Interference is when the runner impedes a fielder's ability to field the ball. When the fielder impedes the runner that is obstruction.

I was fortunate enough to attend the Wendelstedt Umpire School several years ago and I know a few of these umpires. In fact, the home plate umpire last night (Dana Demuth) was one of my instructors. That said, I can say with certainty the correct call was made and in the correct manner. One thing people don't understand about obstruction (and it's obstruction NOT interference) is physical contact doesn't even have to be made. If a fielder causes the runner to change his path (say for instance the shortstop is in the way and the runner coming from second moves a little to get around him) that is obstruction.

Interference is when the runner impedes a fielder's ability to field the ball. When the fielder impedes the runner that is obstruction.

Right on! I remember this from little league and pony league and even slow pitch softball!!!

Rye ;)

At the point that the obstruction call was made, the runner is automaticly AWARDED the next base. No matter what play is or isn't made, that runner advances to the next base, in this case, home plate!! Intent of the offending player has no bearing on the call IIRC.

At the point that the obstruction call was made, the runner is automaticly AWARDED the next base. No matter what play is or isn't made, that runner advances to the next base, in this case, home plate!! Intent of the offending player has no bearing on the call IIRC.

Yup.

Having no dog in this fight, I'm able to look at it with an unbiased eye. Looked like obstruction to me. Tough but correct call. Good thing it didn't happen in Beantown!

And if you look, you'll see Middlebrook lift his feet in the air as he's on his stomach. Is that how you try to get up? I think not.;)

Sox win. Knotted at 2 games each.

First time in WS history that a game ended with a pick-off! This is becoming a strange series!! :ph34r: Rye

Things are not going well tonight. Cards are down in the bottom of hte 9th and the Seahawks are not real sterling. They have a narrow lead but St. Louis is out playing them. Maybe they looked past them and read their own press clippings.

Crunch time!

Man, is David Ortiz tough or what!!

Here's hoping the Cards can recover in Game 6. I gotta admit, Boston is one fine baseball team.

It will be tough for the Cards to get 1 more in Boston let alone 2, not impossible but tough!

They did not play at Home like they usually do.

Well done Sox.

Sad that the series is tainted by a tough call and controversial call.

Game three will probably be more infamous than game seven could ever be.

From a longtime baseball fan's perspective, I'm baffled by this comment. There was nothing tough or controversial about that call. There is no taint. The rule is as plain as day, and does NOT require intent. If one guy blocks the baserunner's path, it's obstruction, period. The baserunner makes his own path; he does not have to follow the chalk line, so the fact he was on the 2nd base side is irrelevant.

The umpires explained all of this in their post-game press conference, and they all have a LOT of training and experience with that one little rule book. All of them agreed, and MLB agreed with their call. They have said they may review the rule, but the umpires applied the rule correctly.

If one guy blocks the baserunner's path, it's obstruction, period.

I guess the catcher blocking home plate is an exception.

But is that in the rule book?

From a longtime baseball fan's perspective, I'm baffled by this comment. There was nothing tough or controversial about that call. There is no taint. The rule is as plain as day, and does NOT require intent. If one guy blocks the baserunner's path, it's obstruction, period. The baserunner makes his own path; he does not have to follow the chalk line, so the fact he was on the 2nd base side is irrelevant.

The umpires explained all of this in their post-game press conference, and they all have a LOT of training and experience with that one little rule book. All of them agreed, and MLB agreed with their call. They have said they may review the rule, but the umpires applied the rule correctly.

While I agree with you to a point, the view point of the fans is quite different than the viewpoint of an official in the game. Evidence of bar room brawls will bear that out. The fact that Boston WON the Series will dampen the effect of the call.

I doubt that it will quell all of the arguments that will take place in some living room or tap room over a couple bottles of

what ever.

Archived