SASS Wire Forum

Ground hunting blind

Trigger Mike

My son is too wiggly and an off the ground stand is too expensive for one that holds two (like around $500 or more) so I opted for the 130 ground blind that pops out on all sides in minutes and has multiple windows. How good are these for deer? DO you leave yours out all season? Any drawbacks?

We used one for hogs and it work good.If you get one with tent stake rings you can leave it out unless you have hogs or cows,They will make a mess of one.

A lot of guys around here use them for deer.

They seem to work well - along a hedge, fence line, etc.

Watch the wind - minimize movement, etc.

Mice and squirrels like to chew on the material- leave them out no longer than necessary.

I would think if you put it out a week or 2 before opening day - you'd be OK.

Just my 2 cents.

- BB

They work well, especially with the control of your scent, but remember to wear black clothing instead of cammo. Keep one side closed at all times to create a dark background you can blend into with your black clothing.The one draw back about leaving it up year round are low down thieves. I lost a $300 blind last year and it was a mile off of the road on private land!

BSD

I normaly use just a folding camp stool , find a tree or a brush pile , put it to your back

watch the wind , if you can find a downed tree to get behind even better

as I hunt on public land , I like something behind me , too many folks do not think of where the bullet is going

CB

Years ago I used an old pallet, topped it with plywood, nailed down a bucket seat from a wreck, and surrounded it with scrap plywood. sides. A little camo paint to blend it to the background, and it darn near became invisable. I shot many a deer from that seat.

They work very well in the task you are asking of it. Try not to leave it out much. UV light, rain, ice, critters, etc are not kind to any fabric. Brush it in a little to break up the outline. I spray mine down with scent killer spray, as well as my clothing when I use it. It is nice to be out of the wind and able to move around a bit for sure, even for us older folks.

Archived