SASS Wire Forum

Well here is the good and BAD news about California Gun bills

VETO!!! SB374 Semi-auto rifle ban

Makes semi auto hunting rifles that have detachable magazines of any size "ASSAULT RIFLES"

THIS WAS A BIGGIE!

Governors Veto message> http://gov.ca.gov/docs/SB_374_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

SIGNED - AB711 Complete ban of ALL lead ammunition for hunting.

This law effectively ENDS most hunting in California as the law specifically states any component that is lead makes the ammo banned.

Here is the exact text: This bill would instead require, as soon as is practicable, but by no laterthan July 1, 2019, the use of nonlead ammunition for the taking of allwildlife, including game mammals, game birds, nongame birds, and nongame mammals, with any firearm. The bill would require the commission to certify, by regulation, nonlead ammunition for these purposes. The bill would require that the list of certified ammunition include any federally approved nontoxic shotgun ammunition. The bill would make conforming changes

SIGNED - AB48 - makes it illegal to manufacture, import, keep for sale, offer or expose for sale, or give, lend, buy, or receive

parts and repair kits capable of converting magazine capacity to greater than ten rounds.

VETO!! AB169 - Unsafe firearms (would make Single action revolvers unsafe)
Just because a firearm in no longer made DOES NOT MAKE IT UNSAFE?

Governors Veto message> http://gov.ca.gov/docs/AB_169_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

SIGNED - AB231 - Criminal storage of a firearm (if you leave a gun out and go outside you have broken the law)

VETO!! SB299 - makes it a crime if a victim of firearm theft does not report the theft within 48 hours.

Governors Veto message> http://gov.ca.gov/docs/SB_299_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

VETO!! SB475 - Prohibit gun shows at Cow Palace (Oakland)
The state has NO BUSINESS passing laws for local municipalities!

Governors Veto message> http://gov.ca.gov/docs/SB_475_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

VETO!! AB180 - repeals state firearms preemption by allowing the City of Oakland to enact ordinances that are more

restrictive than state laws concerning the registration or licensing of firearms.

Governors Veto message> http://gov.ca.gov/docs/AB_180_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

SIGNED - SB683 - Requires Firearms safety certificate for ALL firearm purchases (Usta be handguns only)

VETO!! SB755 - expands the list of persons prohibited from owning a firearm, including persons who have operated cars and

boats while they are impaired commonly referred to as DUI.

Governors Veto message> http://gov.ca.gov/docs/SB_755_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

So we won some but lost one really BIG one! Labor unions were pushing a veto of this bill (Lead Ammo ban) and they have in the past supported Jerry.

So there ya have it.

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

is a patched lead ball for muzzleloading considered 'ammo'?

anyway considering the governor and the absolute progressive liberal politicians I think California did okay this time.

GG

is a patched led ball for muzzleloading considered ammo?

anyway considering the governor and the absolute progressive liberal politicians I think California did okay this time.

GG

I am guessing that will also be banned as it is a component of the ammunition....

I wonder if they will go after lead sinkers for fishing next since the study they kept quoting as proof of the damage lead caused showed far more damage is caused by these than lead bullets ever did.

JJJ-D

is a patched lead ball for muzzleloading considered 'ammo'?

GG

I think Calif did alot better than expected. Banning lead in ammo is bad enough. It will be interesting if the NRA takes this to court.

HS

so are the Pro Gun organizations going to take these to court or what JJJ ???

Well, there are two obvious choices for legal challenges:

AB48 - which bans ALL magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds. Owners will have to dispose of these by July 1, 2014 or be in violation of the law by mere possession. The bill originally dealt only with the parts kits but was expanded at the last minute to include existing magazines no matter when they were acquired. Looks like all mine will go to Deja's sisters place in Arizona for awhile anyway...

AB711 - The lead ammo ban cuz it effectively eliminates hunting in California by 2019. The reason is the Feds are about to issue official rules defining all metal jacketed or non-lead ammunition as "Armor-Piercing". As such this ammo will be banned by federal law in the U.S. Now the CA law gives state fish and game the ability to WAIVE the lead ban. But we all know that's not gonna happen.

I expect the CRPA (California Rifle and Pistol Association) will want to fight both, but without the NRA I don't think they can afford the cost. The NRA has already indicated they would not fight these bills. The one bill they indicated would result in a lawsuit was one that was vetoed.

I fully expect us to see an allout lead ammo ban bill come up next now that this one was signed. That will kill most shooting sports activities in CA.

JJJ-D

SO -

How does this nonsense affect SASS? No lead ammo -is that ONLY for Hunting? How about us or 22 Target Shooters. Sounds pretty drastic to me.

STL Suomi

Yes...no lead ammo can be used for hunting starting 2019.

GG

I expect the CRPA (California Rifle and Pistol Association) will want to fight both, but without the NRA I don't think they can afford the cost. The NRA has already indicated they would not fight these bills. The one bill they indicated would result in a lawsuit was one that was vetoed.

I fully expect us to see an allout lead ammo ban bill come up next now that this one was signed. That will kill most shooting sports activities in CA.

JJJ-D

As far as I am concerned this is the exact reason we are losing, if I had the money I would have a law suit filed Monday morning. Pro Gunners can no longer pick and choice what laws we fight we have to fight them ALL

AB711 has been signed into law by Jerry Brown!

Yes this is the LEAD AMMO BAN FOR HUNTING. :D

JJJ-D

As far as I am concerned this is the exact reason we are losing, if I had the money I would have a law suit filed Monday morning. Pro Gunners can no longer pick and choice what laws we fight we have to fight them ALL

Well, mostly because only a handful, relatively speaking, of the 8,000,000 gun owners in CA bother with politics. If all of us called and wrote to the capons who supposedly represent us at least twice a month, they might start listening to us.

It would also help if the anti-civil rights lobby couldn't count on the NRA, GOA, etc. staying out of the fight. Basically, they know they are only having to face a skirmish line with nothing behind it.

I've been thinking about trying to file against the State because with last years ban on open carry, CA, at least the urban areas, is effectively "no carry" since most urban Sheriffs and Chiefs don't issue CCWs. Can't get a CCW, can't open carry, clear denial of civil rights. But, like you, I can't face down the power and wealth of the State on my own.

Hey Joe the Sonoma county Sheriff is more liberal about issuing CCW but the county board of Supervisor and County DA give him too much grief over it it has been a while since I have talk with him so I don't remember The details anymore.

I play the lottery, hoping to win just so the state has to send me a check every month or year, and I can turn right around and sue them over gun rights, can you see the irony of it

FYI I do send emails weekly (stole somebodys letter they posted), and call about once or twice a month

Archived