SASS Wire Forum

San Salvador Church in Colton, California

Howdy all- I really need some help here. I am looking for pictures of the wooden church that was before the current San Salvador Church in Colton, California on the corner of 7th and L Street.

I have been searching everywhere and have contacted the Colton Museum and the current San Salvador church but as of yet have had no reply.

Can anyone help?

Howdy all- I really need some help here. I am looking for pictures of the wooden church that was before the current San Salvador Church in Colton, California on the corner of 7th and L Street.

I have been searching everywhere and have contacted the Colton Museum and the current San Salvador church but as of yet have had no reply.

Can anyone help?

Do you by chance know the name of the church when it was first built? That would help...

I live nearby and have some sources.

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Have you contacted the Diocese of San Bernardo? There may be photos in their archives. Also, check with Mission San Gabriel, since this parish was an asistencia for that Mission.

You might also contact the LA Times. I'd bet that somewhere they have some stories about it.

The wooden church you refer to was built in 1918. The diocese has a book about the early church for sale. Don't know if there is a photo in there. I have a coupla books at home that may have photos. I will check when I get home.... Looks like the new building went up about 1989.

I am guessing the wooden church was torn down for the new one. I tried the city's website to see if they have building records online and they do not.

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Thank you everyone for your help! This is very much appreciated. Cliff Hanger- I have not seen that before- although I think the painting is of the church that was before the wooden one. I am not 100% positive because I still haven't found a picture of what I am looking for- but thank you all the same!

JJJ- I cannot thank you enough for all the help! Anything you can find would be great!

Joe- I will be sure to contact them. Thanks for the heads up!

It never ceases to amaze me what folks on this forum are able to come up with when asked. When I first read Jess' post, I didn't think he had much chance of getting any more info.

Huh! Stupid me!

God help me, I love this game and all the folks that play it!

I couldn't agree with you more, Bama. I really thought that there would be no answers whatsoever. I knew that my question was a long shot!

My mind is just FULL of useless bits of info.....

Still workin' on it, may take a roadtrip to the church bookshop.... I musta packed my "Colton in Pictures" book real good, still lookin fer it....

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Archived