SASS Wire Forum

Who has not had their '73 short stroked?

Guest Jess Money

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have three 73's and one of them has not been short stroked.

Because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also have three Marlins, two short stroked and one not.

Same reason.

I have two 73s that are short stroked and I love them.If I were not going to short stroke a 73, I would shoot my slicked 92.The 92 is lighter and points better and when slicked is as slick as any 73.

My '73 does not have a short stroke in it and I don't see doing it. Reason - don't think the cost involved will equal out to that much increased performance on the range. Not without something called practice, which I don't do. And I have noticed that I can hold my own against the short stokes as long as there are four or more rifle targets. Triple taps and dumps allow the short stokes to blaze by.

Actually, quite a few folks shoot rifles that haven't been short stroked. I always gave my customers the choice. The biggest bang for your rifle buck is a real good action job. Make the rifle user friendly and you'll have lots of fun with it.

Coffinmaker

1860 Uberti Henry.

Was used to make some of the first Hooper mfg short stroke links.

After he got all the dimentions and got them working as he wanted, I had him replace my stock links.

He use my rifle for a place to start patterns.

None of my guns have anything more than just being slicked up.

I like it that way.

Everyone is welcome to do what they think is best for them.

Nope. Too much $$$ for me. If money were not a factor I'd get it done. As it is I've still got a mortgage and a bunch of other bills to pay first. With, or without, a short stroked rifle I'm not fast enough to win anything. So my possibly winning something isn't a consideration. But I do like shooting slick and accurate guns.

Angus

Mine is not short-stroked because I'm not a fast shooter in the first place. Having one short-stroked would just be wasted money for me.

Neither of my 73s, nor my 66, are short stroked although all of them have action jobs. When shooting BP, the time savings of a short stroke just means more time staring at the smoke before the target reappears! :P

Dogmeat Dad

I have a 66 and a 73 and will not short stroke either one of them. In fact, I will never short stroke any of my rifles. For one thing I'm an NCOWS member and they don't allow it, and the other, even if NCOWS would allow it I wouldn't do it then either.

I'm not a gamer and don't abide by that mentality.

I have an 1860 Henry that is not short stroked since that would seem like heresy. I also want an NCOWS legal rifle although I have not shot NCOWS for years. My '73 Border rifles are all short-stroked.

Since I have a range at my house many people want to shoot my cowboy guns. I normally shoot a Marlin in competition, but have two '73s that I shoot silhouette with and will not short stroke because I want people to have an authentic feel for them. Of course, I also shoot mostly BP under those circumstances...

Regards,

Ivery

We're all aware what the short stroke kit does for speed, but how many folks shoot without one?

Short stroke a rifle! What would John Wayne do?

I've been fortunate enough to have accumulated four '73's and one '66 in 5 different calibers. None are shortstroked but I've played with the springs and they all feel good. Like some of the previous posters, I don't practice and often shoot BP. If I shortstroked one I think I'd need to do them all. Maybe some day...

Guest Jess Money

Thanks for all the responses, pards. I have a new Taylor's '73 that hasn't even been used at a match yet. I ran a several hundred rounds through it before I opened it up to see what was what. I used a couple of hard translucent Arkansas stones to polish all the areas showing signs of friction and polished the sides of the carrier and the inside of the frame where the carrier runs to remove some very light scratches. Yesterday I replaced the front sight, lever and lifter springs, trigger return spring, main spring and added a lever wrap. It's scary how much smoother this rifle is now compared to when I received it. With the few simple modifications I've made, I can now cock the rifle with one finger in the lever loop.(And, as an aside, NOW I know what all the fuss was about the trigger straightening threads. Ouch, ouch, OUCH!)

Actually, quite a few folks shoot rifles that haven't been short

stroked. I always gave my customers the choice. The biggest bang for

your rifle buck is a real good action job. Make the rifle user friendly

and you'll have lots of fun with it.

Howdy

Yup, my '73 has been slicked up pretty nice, but I never put a short stroke kit into it. Like it just fine the way it is. I have an original Winchester model 1873 made in 1887. It has not been short stroked either, although I did replace the hammer spring because it was strong enough to be a suspension spring on a Mack truck.

My Henry has been slicked up too. And I ain't saying if it has been short stroked or not.

Agree with Dogmeat and Rafe. With an average stage time of 60 seconds/stage, I just couldn't justify the expense. If I did that, I'd probably have to cut that 30" barrel as weqqll so's I could get it on target quicker. Then, of course, I'd switch to smokeless powder so I would never lose sight of the steel and then cut the load down from my usual full case BP loads to half case smokeless and fill the case with grits so my sights never leave the target due to recoil.

Whhhhhheeeeewwwww!!! This short-stroking sure seems like a lot of time and money to save maybe 1-2 seconds per stage!! :D :D

Guest Jess Money

I have not shortened the stroke on my Berreta Renegade. Does that count?

KQ

mine are old, probably still second gen

does that count in your survey?

Yes indeed! Replies regarding the subject should always be welcome. Since there may be others having the same question, especially new members, this information might be of help them, one way or another. I've learned a great deal just by reading posts I haven't even been engaged in.

Don't have a 73 ,,,,,,,,,,,, My 66 is Not Short stroked nor is my Marlin or any other gun ...

Shoot mine as designed ...

Need the extra time to see through da Smoke .......

Jabez Cowboy

Nope ........ I also use an '87 shotgun and don't want to develop any bad habits from a short-stroked rifle that might affect the operation of my shotgun.

I have been told that I "NEED" to install a short-stroke kit in my '73 to go fast and win .......

......... I asked "who said I have to go fast ..... or win ????"

Guest Jess Money

Nope ........ I also use an '87 shotgun and don't want to develop any bad habits from a short-stroked rifle that might affect the operation of my shotgun.

I have been told that I "NEED" to install a short-stroke kit in my '73 to go fast and win .......

......... I asked "who said I have to go fast ..... or win ????"

LOL! Excellent answer, Wallaby Jack.

Archived